Options

So I was warned away from my Tattoo place..

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
A couple of barbers I use have great tattoos. Anyway I told them I was going to the place on Wednesday to get one done, and they said - you guessed it - 'Don't go there! I wouldn't go there!' Apparently their work is good sometimes but they're inconsistant and not recommended. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHH I'd psyched myself up for it as well. I'm a bit disappointed. This place was so convenient because I'm in that area for work on a Wednesday anyway. I just can't see getting time off work to do it any other time. I need a consollation prize.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    be patient!
  • Options
    be patient!

Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;):D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrr ;):D

i think that's all you can do. but there must be loads of places i london that you can get to. no?
  • Options
    i think that's all you can do. but there must be loads of places i london that you can get to. no?

Only reason I'm waiting is because I've got a friend who wants to go with me and he needs to get time off work. He works in a youth centre so he should have a half term.. when? February?

• Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    be patient!

Good Advice!

I went to a crap place for my first tattoo, now that tattoo is completely faded in spots. Basically, I'm going to have to get a cover up. This time I'm being much more patient 'cause I'm going to get something MUCH bigger.

A good tattoo is worth the wait.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Good Advice!

I went to a crap place for my first tattoo, now that tattoo is completely faded in spots. Basically, I'm going to have to get a cover up. This time I'm being much more patient 'cause I'm going to get something MUCH bigger.

A good tattoo is worth the wait.

Well, there you go then Mark. :) ^^^

I don't know about half term yet. I'll need to start knowing these things soon.
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    you know what design yet? still same idea?
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    duggro wrote:

Which one did you see?

• Options
    Which one did you see?
    the one that i have, or have you moved on from that?
  • Options
    LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    duggro wrote:

its a lion, he showed me yesterday.....;)
    i'm not happy yet.....
  • Options
    Linda wrote:
    its a lion, he showed me yesterday.....;)

HAHA that was pretty funny wasn't it.

'Jesus Christ, I'm a lion.
    Get in the car.'

• Options
    duggro wrote:
    the one that i have, or have you moved on from that?

Ahhh.. duggro... yes sorry, I'm having a slow day today..

I do want the design you have, but more recently I'm also considering this:

http://pvs.k12.nm.us/OutdoorPages/labyrinth/labyrinth-design-6.jpg

Not sure which I'll get first. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery and get both.

• Options
    sweet as

where you getting it?
  • Options
    Either my shoulder (or just off the shoulder and onto my chest) or on my back between the shoulder blades. I'm as excited as a little kid at christmas about the whole thing, but I'm having to wait now.

• Options
    don't forget, harmless, that most people with tattoos will always tell you that "their guy" is the best, and not to go anywhere else.... and if that were the case, you'd never be able to pick anything!!

just make sure you're happy with the artist that doing it, that you've met with them, and seen their work... don't sweat it...
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    I guess in retrospect it could've been a better deal.. the 'consultation' I had was a bit of a let down, he felt like a 'get the job done' kind of guy, not an artist, so I could see where these guys were coming from.. and the place wasn't solely designed for tattoos, it was actually full of bongs and smoking accessories and piercings. I'd rather find a place exclusively for tattoos. The only frustration is having to wait, but I'd rather get a great tattoo I had to wait for than a bodged tattoo tomorrow.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    don't forget, harmless, that most people with tattoos will always tell you that "their guy" is the best, and not to go anywhere else.... and if that were the case, you'd never be able to pick anything!!

just make sure you're happy with the artist that doing it, that you've met with them, and seen their work... don't sweat it...

I totally agree - everybody has "their guy." Thing is, I work with a bunch of tattoed people who ALL have "their (different) guy" and 99% of the tattoos look good. Some shops specialize in "old school" (think sailors on shore leave), others do a lot of black/gray shading, etc. Ask around and, as suggested, don't sweat it. Of course, I was pretty sure I was in the right place when I noticed they had PJ playing on the stereo :)

http://members.cox.net/ddgrh8r/tat8.JPG

http://members.cox.net/ddgrh8r/tat9.JPG
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    I totally agree - everybody has "their guy." Thing is, I work with a bunch of tattoed people who ALL have "their (different) guy" and 99% of the tattoos look good. Some shops specialize in "old school" (think sailors on shore leave), others do a lot of black/gray shading, etc. Ask around and, as suggested, don't sweat it. Of course, I was pretty sure I was in the right place when I noticed they had PJ playing on the stereo :)

http://members.cox.net/ddgrh8r/tat8.JPG

http://members.cox.net/ddgrh8r/tat9.JPG

Holy shitballs dude those are amazing!

• Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    A couple of barbers I use have great tattoos. Anyway I told them I was going to the place on Wednesday to get one done, and they said - you guessed it - 'Don't go there! I wouldn't go there!' Apparently their work is good sometimes but they're inconsistant and not recommended. AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHH I'd psyched myself up for it as well. I'm a bit disappointed. This place was so convenient because I'm in that area for work on a Wednesday anyway. I just can't see getting time off work to do it any other time. I need a consollation prize.
    maybe this was a sign that you shouldnt get one ;) jk!
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    I need a consollation prize.
    buy the LE book :D
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Half-term: 18th-22nd February (well at least in my part of the world).

PM Keithos.... find out where he got his done.
  • Options
    Either my shoulder (or just off the shoulder and onto my chest) or on my back between the shoulder blades. I'm as excited as a little kid at christmas about the whole thing, but I'm having to wait now.
    oooh shoulder

from what i hear, you should be prepared for the paaain.
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736

if you like your barbers tat, ie. style and colors, i would ask them where they got their tats done, and go their!!!! pick a day you and your friend can go together, even if its a month from now! better not to rush into this. hope this helps...

PEACE

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736

ahhhh shoulder your gunna love the feeling....hehe

i guess that would be the same for the back, feels soooooo good on the spine

felt so good i even had two done on my back in the center on the spine, damn i had each shoulder done as well!!! guess i really really liked it, cause i went back for more.

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    duggro wrote:
    oooh shoulder

from what i hear, you should be prepared for the paaain.

Don't scare him away!!! The pain of a tattoo is not 'real' pain. I have one on my shoulder and one on the back, between the shoulder blades starting from the base of the neck. It was fine having them. If I can do it, HLF can do it!
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    the spine is agony - take a nice big thick stick to bite down on if you go there

shoulder will be a breeze

but as for where to go - the best recommendation an artist can have is compliments and encouragement of their own work. If people warned you against a somewhere for gods sake dont go - you have a tatt forever, its not something to rush into or rush getting. You wouldnt let a someone opperate just because they had Dr. hanging on their door would you??

my first one, i had decided one the design a while before, but i walked into the first shop i say to get it - and the same with the guy further up - its now all patchy and faded, and the inks all broken down. Apparently that shows the quality of the ink, something i never would have known about then, but might have if i waited a while.

the next two ive been to the same guy - he's a bit of an arrogant prick, but he does nice work
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Ahhh.. duggro... yes sorry, I'm having a slow day today..

I do want the design you have, but more recently I'm also considering this:

http://pvs.k12.nm.us/OutdoorPages/labyrinth/labyrinth-design-6.jpg

Not sure which I'll get first. Who knows, maybe I'll win the lottery and get both.

If YOU like it, that's what's important. But, is it just me, or does that remind anyone else of a large intestine (or descending colon) ;)?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ_ROCKS wrote:
    ahhhh shoulder your gunna love the feeling....hehe

i guess that would be the same for the back, feels soooooo good on the spine

felt so good i even had two done on my back in the center on the spine, damn i had each shoulder done as well!!! guess i really really liked it, cause i went back for more.

seems like the spine would hurt