Options

I saw the Lemonheads last night, what happened?

Malcolm_XMalcolm_X Posts: 93
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I went an saw the Lemonheads last night with Evan Dando, and they only plyed for an hour with no encore. The show ended at like 10:30 after an hour. Evan was like "Thanks" then walked off stage. I hear he's dome this before, why???? it cost me 23 bucks for 1 hour!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    well, in all fairness, they really don't have many songs...

I saw them once 15 years ago and then once last year. it brought back so many memories of high school when I saw them last year!
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    He's a flake. I love the Lemonheads but he's notorious for this type of behavior. He's probably off the wagon again.
  • Options
    well, in all fairness, they really don't have many songs...

Huh? They have like 5 albums.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Options
    Huh? They have like 5 albums.

I think the lemonheads themselves only have like 3...well maybe I am wrong. I can't remember. I just remember that when I saw them last year they only really played stuff from it's a shame about ray and come on feel the lemonheads.
  • Options
    Sounds like buddy was jonesing for a fix, or doesn't like performing all that much. Shame, as being on stage is the drug imo...

edit: perhaps he has IBS? you never know. google for apres show interviews.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I'm constantly staggered by people who have fame, appreciation and the chance to perform but still have to act like dicks.

It's not like they can afford the luctury either. They're not the hottest potato in dauphinoise right now.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    i am glad someone posted this thread, i have been needing to vent for 2 days now....feel lucky that you got an entire show. i saw them thursday night in st louis and he flaked out and left the stage after 45 minutes. i will describe the events in the next few paragraphs.

i will preface this by saying that i have seen the lemonheads several times and i even met Evan on the car, button, cloth tour. He was warm and very nice, but he was really "out there". i remember when he was in people magazine as one of the "sexiest men alive" for several years in a row so he had had some moderate fame. i have all of their albums and i really am a fan of the band. the new album i think is great.

i last saw them in february 07 and something was off about him. he performed in a winter coat and ski hat and it was about 73 degrees in the room (a little warm i remember, because i was sweating buckets). he played for exactly one hour. in the middle of his acoustic set he was in the middle of the second verse of "the outdoor type" and he suddenly put his guitar down and walked off and the house lights came on. i chalked it up to "oh well, thats just evan..." and blew it off. later on a roadie said he was angry with the sound in the room, but my band plays there every other month and the sound is fine. the tour manager said next time they come back they would be at a different venue and everything would be cool.

thursday night's show was at that same venue for some reason. apparently nobody working for the band remembered how much evan hated it the first time. when i saw them thursday evan was a trainwreck. he was singing and he appeared tone deaf. he was way off key on alot of songs, played his solos in the wrong keys, and played alot of songs that are played with a capo without the capo, as if he did not give a shit how it sounded. he was staggering around the stage and tripping on stuff. he looked like shit. the rest of the band played well and had alot of energy and seemed to be enjoying themselves. the dude standing next to me said, "look at him, i'll bet he walks off any minute" sure enough, at the 45 minute mark evan walked off and the rest of the band followed him.

i could see the stage door and someone shoved him back out onto the stage. i guess if they did not play 60 minutes they don't get paid. he staggers to the mike and says "we have a 60 minute contract and we have played 45 minutes. i guess you are stuck with me". i thought evan was going to play a great acoustic set but instead we got about 6 minutes of a solo medly that included Luka and a bunch of his solo stuff all thrown into one song. then he said "fuck this!! i am NEVER playin this fuckin joint again!!" he took his guitar off and caught the mike on the guitar strap and both guitar and mike hit the ground with a loud thud and feedback as he stormed off the stage. a few minutes later the band drug him back out there and the drummer helped him strap his guitar back on. they started playing something i have never heard but even was not singing, just making a bunch of garbled noises kind of like a 3 year old would make. he got mad and kicked over his Orange amp and that stopped working. he was trying to strum chords and nothing was coming out of the amp. he then kicked it toward the edge of the stage. the front-of-the-house guy came out to set the amp back up and evan looked like he was going to swing at him, so the guy left the amp as it was. they finished the "song" and evan walked off agan. the drummer said "thank you" and the bass player looked embarrassed, he said something on the mike like "sorry, have a great night" or something like that and that was the end of the show. 58 minutes with 3 storm offs. probably one of the most dubious shows i have ever seen. the guy needs help.

a few minutes later while the roadies were breaking things down evan walks back out and goes across the stage, looks at the crowd, picks up the jacket he left on stage and walked back across the stage and out the stage door.

what a waste of a great talet. there is nothing worse than watching a 40 year old man acting like a child. i guess he realizes that his band is irrelevent and he can't do anything about it. and that is me, a real fan saying that. i bought a shirt prior to their set and i promptly returned it and got my money back after the show. the merch lady did not put up much of an argument, i guess alot of people returned their merch that night. thats twice in a row that happened in st louis. i am done with that band, never again will i pay to see them. why do you think there have been over 20 members of the lemonheads over the years??
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    whoa, glad i haven't committed to seeing them next friday in new york.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    whoa, glad i haven't committed to seeing them next friday in new york.

After reading this I kind of want to see them. Tickets are pretty cheap, I'm not much of a fan, and it sounds like a train wreck ready to happen. Could be fun!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"