Options

Anyone see "There Will Be Blood"

jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
This movie is supposed to be amazing, but it looks to have the same type of release as Into the Wild. Has anyone seen this, or does anyone know the when it will have a nationwide release? Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favorite actors, and Bill the Butcher (Gangs of NY) was probably one of the best movie characters ever!
"There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    jordn6971 wrote:
    This movie is supposed to be amazing, but it looks to have the same type of release as Into the Wild. Has anyone seen this, or does anyone know the when it will have a nationwide release? Daniel Day-Lewis is one of my favorite actors, and Bill the Butcher (Gangs of NY) was probably one of the best movie characters ever!

It is not out in Atlanta yet but i plan on seeing it when it comes out.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I have started probably 5 threads in 3 months on this movie. No one has responded to one thread.

Daniel Day Lewis will win the oscar for this. It is his best performance ever. The movie supposedly is being hailed as the citizen Kane of our day. And I havent even seen the movie!
  • Options
    Daniel Day Lewis is probably one of the best actors in the buisness today. He doesnt have a bad movie in his resume. And its crazy how INTO the character he gets. Interviewed Charlie Rose, he was asked how he came up with the voice for his charcter in the movie, Daniel Plainview. And he was asked how he was able to portray this character, what he felt he was portraying.

He couldnt explain it. Which is scary. he gets so into character, he actually becomes Newland Archer, or Bill the Butcher.

And Paul Thomas Anderson aint too bad as well.

This movie should be transcendent.

Spoiler alert....

supposedly the first 20 minutes dont even have diologue!
  • Options
    I agree about DDL, but he has been in so many others and been just as good. Room with a view, Age of Innocence, My left foot, the crucible, gangs of NY, Ballad of Jack and Rose, etc...

its absolutely thrilling and inspiring and scary as hell the depth to which he immerses himself in his character. He doesnt just read the script and then be done with it. For him its a laborious job. He is basically why they pay actors the big bucks. He learns how to skin and catch animals, and build canoes and shoot rifles from the 1800's for Last of the Mohicans, he actually is Bill the Butcher between takes and almost died because he refused to get a doctor to check up on him because he had pnuemonia.

watching DDL is life affirming. i expect nothing less than a masterpiece.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I saw it. I loved it. Some people don't like the ending (don't worry, no spoilers), but I did. DDL - I don't know what to say, he's so amazing. I liked Paul Dano, too. It's a very dirty movie - like people have dirty fingernails and their hair looks greasy.

I'm curious to hear what other people say.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    when does it come to Denver?
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,837
    I dunno-- from the trailer it looks like the most pretentious thing I have ever seen in my entire life. But I guess don't judge a book by its cover. The trailer I saw, this one:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=GZOMYSEHZeQ&feature=related
    made it as if it was The Shining, where DDL goes crazy. Not really sure what the fuck the point of the film is from this.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    pjtaper wrote:
    when does it come to Denver?

You're lucky i think it opens in denver tomorrow at one theater. Landmark maybe? It's only playing in Chicago up here.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    The film WILL have a nationwide release. It opened with a VERY limited release in a handfull of major cities, today it expanded to a handful more...but a major national release is to follow.

PTA is truly an amazing writer/director!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    I saw this on Saturday... There are some elements that move a little too slow, but those few parts are overmatched by a great story, great script and some of the MOST INTENSE acting ever. DDL's portrayal of Daniel Plainview is gripping, to say the least.

I'm a huge PTA fan - which may be an understatement - and the biggest surprise of the film was how far removed everything about it is from any of his previous work. The man's abilities seem endless.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

• Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    jordn6971 wrote:

I hope it comes near me.
    I agree with you totally....Lewis is by far my favorite actor. Freaking nailed The Butcher!
    I heard this movie is supposed to be really great.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    THIS WAS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SAT THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BORING!!!!!!!!! 3+ hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS! Please, look for other reviews! It was so boring! About an hour in, my girlfriend wanted to leave, I thought something HAD to happen, they were building a story that would lead to something, but it was just BORING AS HELL!
    This was NOT Gangs of New York!
    Bill the Butcher was AWESOME!!!!
    I don't even remember the main characters name!
    Daniel Day Louis KILLS ELI, the minister in the end... That is the end of the story, I just ruined it, please don't go see it, if you do, please post how horrible it is!
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    pjtaper wrote:
    THIS WAS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SAT THROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BORING!!!!!!!!! 3+ hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS! Please, look for other reviews! It was so boring! About an hour in, my girlfriend wanted to leave, I thought something HAD to happen, they were building a story that would lead to something, but it was just BORING AS HELL!
    I don't even remember the main characters name!
    Daniel Day Louis KILLS ELI, the minister in the end... That is the end of the story, I just ruined it, please don't go see it, if you do, please post how horrible it is!

You dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    yeah fucktard, at least tell us if you're gonna have a spoiler. Thanks for ruining a movie based on nothing but your own opinion.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

This pretty much explains YOUR problem. I can't even imagine the reason you'd think it would be ANYTHING remotely similar. It's based on a novel that is in no way similar and every single one of the thousands of reviews out there clearly spell out what this film is about.

"Oooooo it's called There Will Be Blood so it must be a popcorn action flick!"

Come on man. So you thought it was boring, which is fine, and you clearly didn't understand it, which is your own issue, but to ruin it for other people is a dick move.

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    pjny wrote:
    Come on man. So you thought it was boring, which is fine, and you clearly didn't understand it, which is your own issue, but to ruin it for other people is a dick move.

Really was an asshole move, but not surprising considering the poster..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Worst Movie I Have Ever Sat Through!
    Please, Do Not Waste Your Time Or Money!
  • Options
    kry211kry211 Posts: 24
    thought it was great
    daniel day-lewis was amazing
    tough to pick b/w this and No Country For Old Men
    this opera is as lousy as it is brilliant
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    kry211 wrote:
    thought it was great
    daniel day-lewis was amazing
    tough to pick b/w this and No Country For Old Men

i agree. i just saw it last night and i have been thinking about it for a while and i really cant make a decision. two incredible films.
  • Options
    i hate this limited release crap
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    i saw this on saturday. daniel-day lewis was an absolute beast as usual. he should win best actor hands down. if you are a fan of his i would go see this in the theater as soon as you can. the cinematics and score to the movie are great. paul dano did an amazing job as the preacher and his son in the movie was great too.

other than one particular scene (obvious for anyone that has seen the movie) i'm not really sure why it was rated R though. there had to be dozens of pg-13 action movies i saw in 2007 that had staggering body counts.

i would have to pick no country for old men over there will be blood for my picture of the year though.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I have started probably 5 threads in 3 months on this movie. No one has responded to one thread.

Daniel Day Lewis will win the oscar for this. It is his best performance ever. The movie supposedly is being hailed as the citizen Kane of our day. And I havent even seen the movie!

It's a good movie and Daniel Day Lewis is great as usual. If there is a OSCAR ceremony, he will win for sure!! AMAZING...
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    yeah the movie was pretty incredible. someone said it came across a bit pretentious, and of course it did, its pta (or did we already forget about magnolia...hehe)
    wonderful job capturing the history and the business of oil and industry and life in developing cities.
    daniel day lewis is gonna be hard to beat come oscar time.
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    I Drink..your Milkshake....i Drink It Up!!!
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I just saw a preview advertisement and thought I had to see this movie...though I wasn't aware it was limited release. Into the Wild was pretty available in my area so maybe this will be too.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    no

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    I have NO IDEA why this movie is getting as much acclaim as it is getting. I saw it, and it was the most boring, go-nowhere movie I have ever seen. I wanted to scream out "WILL THIS MOVIE GO SOMEWHERE!" while in the theater. Daniel Day lewis was great as usual, but good acting does not make a good plot/story.

I kept waiting for something to happen, and nothing did! I have no idea why it was titled as such (I guess oil industry = blood) - it should have been called, "There will be Boring."

Terrible movie, waste of $$, and like I said before, I have no damn clue why everyone loves it so much...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i loved it. great flick and ddl is truly amazing in it. so was that kid from 'little miss sunshine.' the fact that he held his own with ddl indicates he's got a bright future ahead of him.
  • Options
    I have NO IDEA why this movie is getting as much acclaim as it is getting. I saw it, and it was the most boring, go-nowhere movie I have ever seen. I wanted to scream out "WILL THIS MOVIE GO SOMEWHERE!" while in the theater. Daniel Day lewis was great as usual, but good acting does not make a good plot/story.

I kept waiting for something to happen, and nothing did! I have no idea why it was titled as such (I guess oil industry = blood) - it should have been called, "There will be Boring."

Terrible movie, waste of $$, and like I said before, I have no damn clue why everyone loves it so much...

ditto.

Daniel Day Lewis was fantastic, the movie...not so much. At one point I turned to my friend and said "I can't tell if this movie is terrible or fantastic and I'm just missing something". She said "its terrible".
  • Options
    ditto.

Daniel Day Lewis was fantastic, the movie...not so much. At one point I turned to my friend and said "I can't tell if this movie is terrible or fantastic and I'm just missing something". She said "its terrible".
    And I was shocked when people started clapping at the end!! WTF were they watching???