Douglas Coupland

gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
edited June 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone here ever read any Douglas Coupland? I haven't and I was wondering what a good starting place would be. I'm not sure I want to read Generation X first, but if that's the overwhelming response maybe I'll give it a go.
“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    oh yes. ive read generation x, girlfriend in a coma, all families are psychotic, eleanor rigby and parts of life after god. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Which would you recommend to start with for someone who hasn't read anything by him?
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    well being the beatles fan that i am, i started with eleanor rigby.
    i guess you could start with genx. get it out of the way and move on to others. maybe girlfriend in a coma. read the blurbs see which one grabs you.:)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I started reading his books around 99-00 so I just started with Gen X then Shampoo Planet.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    gimme stewart.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Microserfs is a good start, that was the first one of his that I read. jPod started off strange, but turned out very good.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • I love Coupland but found Generation X didn't really stand up to all the hype. It was a bit too self-indulgent.

Hey Nostradamus! is my favourite of his, closely followed by Girlfriend in a Coma and All Families are Psychotic.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    Judging by the titles, I can write better fiction than he can.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • gue_barium wrote:
    Judging by the titles, I can write better fiction than he can.

Judging by this post I really want to see you prove it.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Sonja_SSonja_S Posts: 444
    I read all his books except for jpod. First one I read was Girlfriend in a Coma when it came out - I just read that one again and absolutely recommend it. I agree with harmless little f*** about Gerneration X though - not my favourite by far. Eleanor Rigby, Hey Nostradamus and All Families are Psychotic are way better.
    You can tell a man from what he has to say - Neil & Tim Finn
    They love you so badly for sharing their sorrow, so pick up that guitar and go break a heart - Kris Kristofferson
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Gimme Stewart?
    What the...?!
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Love him. I read Microserfs first. One of my favorites is Gum Thief.