Options

Cooking Recipes for broke college students.

BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I live in a 19 bedroom house with 22 living in it. Its called a CO-OP (cooperative living.) and We decided it would be fun to come up with cooking teams. Last night was my teams first night of cooking and it went over well. We made Spicy Bean Cassaroll. Kind of a "Mexican" Dish but really just a couple of white kids trying to cook something that looks Mexican. So we dubbed ourselves team Fiesta! So now we are trying to keep with the Hispanic theme and come up with more dishes. So if anyone has a good recipe for a Mexican dish let me know. The only rule is there has to be a Vegetarian version of the dish.

Our team cooks again Monday January 21st.
Shows:
San Diego 2003
Grand Rapids 2004
Grand Rapids 2006
Detroit 2006
Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,315
    Taco Bell ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    tylerpjtxtylerpjtx Posts: 201
    my favorite mass meal is a shrimp boil....get a big pot, boil water, throw in the zatarains, then taters, corn, onions, shrimp and sausage. next time i make it i'm gonna throw crawfish in there too.
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,744
    Fajitas are pretty easy. And tasty.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    mexican lasagna...look it up.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    This isn't really Mexican, but you can throw some chorizo in here... I've used chili powder and that works, or you can get a few packets of fajita seasoning and that'd probably work.

Half-assed Gumbo

1 package smoked sausage
    1 large can stewed tomatoes (use the Mexican ones with the seasonings)
    1 bag frozen okra
    2 cans red kidney beans
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 green pepper, diced
    2 cups Minute Rice
    1 can chicken broth
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon chicken bouillon (you can substitute water/bouillon with another can of chicken broth, Bouillon gives a better flavor.)

1. Fry the sausage in its own juices with 1/2 cup water until water is evaporated.
    2. Add all the ingredients to the sausage EXCEPT rice.
    3. Let boil and reduce heat to medium for about 10 min.
    4. Turn off and add rice.
    5. Cover and let sit for 10 more minutes.
    6. Serve

I've throw this together for tailgates and it's super cheap and easy. If you're cooking for 22 college kids, you'll want to AT LEAST double the recipe. You can also throw in a lot of other stuff to it as well (corn, celery, imitation crab meat, etc.), or some chili beans instead of the kidneys for a Mexican slant.
  • Options
    Living with 22 in one house?

Holy shit, that must suck to get to the bathroom in the morning.

Anyway, just order the 5-5-5 deal from Dominos.
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    You said you need one of the recipes to be vegetarian? I have a recipe for three bean vegetarian tacos. I'll try to remember to post that for you when I get home from work tonight. They are really yummy.

If I forget and you really want the recipe, please pm me. I have a really shitty memory.
  • Options
    Take a Box of Mac & Cheese (The Cheapest one you can find), add a can of tuna (Again the cheapest you can find), as well as a can of peas (cheapy again)......Say Bam as you set it on the table - Tuna casserole!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    crackers and water.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,351
    chili burritos with tater tots
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Spinach enchiladas are yummy. I don't really have a recipe. Just saute spinach, mushrooms, onions, garlic, corn, peppers and whatever else you want. Dip the tortillas in enchilada sauce, stuff with the spinach mixture, add cheese if you want, roll and put into a baking dish. Cover with more sauce ( green or red), and cheese and bake. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."