To Catch A Predator Marathon

obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone else catch a bit of the 17 hr Marathon on MSNBC today? I've watched a few mins of it today as I get ready for the festivities tonight. I've always been amused by this show and the possibility of seeing someone I went to high school with, a neighbor, co-worker, or even distant relative.

This is true reality TV.
San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Those shows are awesome. Those fuckers are So sick.

They go from funny to sad and then really disturbing.

I have 3 daughters and it scares me.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    That programme is really irresponsible, not to mention legally dubious. It's a job for the police, not for a bunch of people who were abused as kids and have decided to turn vigilante and brought a camera crew with them. It's certainly not something that needs to be on TV like some kind of weird entertainment. Don't give me any "it raises awareness" crap. We are all well aware of the dangers to children these days. We don't need some hysterical right-wing TV networks thinking they have the moral high ground orchestrating what should really amount to entrapment just to tell us what we already know.

Let the police and social workers sit behind computers posing as 14 year-old girls. It's a much more complex problem than this glorified "America's dumbest kiddie-fiddlers" programme can deal with.

Just my two cents :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    That programme is really irresponsible, not to mention legally dubious. It's a job for the police, not for a bunch of people who were abused as kids and have decided to turn vigilante and brought a camera crew with them. It's certainly not something that needs to be on TV like some kind of weird entertainment. Don't give me any "it raises awareness" crap. We are all well aware of the dangers to children these days. We don't need some hysterical right-wing TV networks thinking they have the moral high ground orchestrating what should really amount to entrapment just to tell us what we already know.

Let the police and social workers sit behind computers posing as 14 year-old girls. It's a much more complex problem than this glorified "America's dumbest kiddie-fiddlers" programme can deal with.

Since when is NBC right-wing?
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,923
    obiwon76 wrote:
    Anyone else catch a bit of the 17 hr Marathon on MSNBC today?
    Just watching one hour seems like a marathon, to me. :p
    obiwon76 wrote:
    the possibility of seeing someone I went to high school with, a neighbor, co-worker, or even distant relative.
    or your Pastor :D
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Totally agree.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i cant staop watching the twighlight zone marathon.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Dammit. I wish I know about this earlier. I would have Tivoed all of them. Luckily I can still record a couple. The show is so hilarious.
    They say I'm rappin like BIG, jay, and tupac
    Andre 3000 where is eryka badu at
    Who dat
    Who dat said dey gon beat lil wayne
    My name ain't Bic but I keep dat flame man

2008 CHICAGO CUBS MAGIC NUMBER = 62

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

But what if it's played for laughs rather than any sort of social consciousness? :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    This is just one creepy show.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    That programme is really irresponsible
    its about as ethical as dodge's 2.99 price guarantee
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Then again, you have wonder how "abnormal" it really is. Elvis was dating Prescilla when she was only 14 years old. If he was around today and wasn't rich and famous, he might very well be one of the guys being handcuffed on this show.

Elvis was, in fact, a sexual predator.
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    sponger wrote:
    Then again, you have wonder how "abnormal" it really is. Elvis was dating Prescilla when she was only 14 years old. If he was around today and wasn't rich and famous, he might very well be one of the guys being handcuffed on this show.

Elvis was, in fact, a sexual predator.

Elvis was, in fact, lame.

No matter what. :)
    NERDS!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Do people actually find this show entertaining?

Why are these little girls inviting these creeps over to begin with? Good job raising your kids to attract sexual predators.
    Why are these little girls inviting these creeps over to begin with? Good

They're not little girls. They're cops posing as little girls in chatrooms.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    sponger wrote:
    Thanks captain obvious, but I'm talking about when these scenarios take place in real life... do people not have control over their kids?
  • Really? 17 hours? I figured after watching one you'd be like, "Huh. Well, that shit was crazy. Another episode is coming on? Are they doing anything new? No, same shit? Oh....hey, where's the remote"
  • Thanks captain obvious, but I'm talking about when these scenarios take place in real life... do people not have control over their kids?

Obviously not a lot of parents do. Have you not seen some shit on myspace? Pretty disturbing.
    Who dat

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
    It's not a question of how much control you have over your kids. No parent can really expect to be able to control their kids to the point where they know exactly who they're chatting with and who they're meeting up with at all hours of the day.

That's like saying that kids who use drugs have parents who don't have enough "control" over them. No one would argue with the notion that every kid is susceptible to developing a drug problem no matter how "involved" their parents are in their lives.
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Elvis was, in fact, lame.

No matter what. :)

LMAO

He so was!!!
  • small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Do people actually find this show entertaining?

Why are these little girls inviting these creeps over to begin with? Good job raising your kids to attract sexual predators.

Uhm I don't kids do stuff to "attract" sexual predators. Perhaps with the internet they sadly make themselves more accessible to these creeps but blaming them is pretty much saying that a woman in a short skirt is asking to be raped.
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    We are all well aware of the dangers to children these days.
    No we aren't ... i'm not a psychologist dealing with what's inside these people's heads... it's an eye opener... not everyone is aware that this goes on or how... get your head out of the sand...

parents letting their kids on the internet might actually become more aware of what their kids are doing on the net now.
  • Bummy213Bummy213 Posts: 25
    sponger wrote:

They're not even cops.........they're part of the vigilante internet group known as "Perverted-Justice". They do work in conjunction with the local sheriff's department in whatever city they're filming in.

I must admit I'm guilty of watching it a bit (and I don't even watch television hardly). As far as it being right or wrong, it's a touchy subject. What is wrong however is Chris Hansen and his constant reminding to the predator of his name. "Do you know who I am?"........"Well I'm going to tell you who I am in a bit"......"Get ready for it, because I'm going to tell you who I am"..."My name is Chris Hansen, I'm a correspondant for Dateline MSNBC"..."Have you seen the show before?"......"Have a seat, c'mon why don't you just have a seat."

I actually like the "To Catch an Identity Thief" shows a lot better. They really went to town on that one and tracked it all the way to Nigeria and some dude running the scam out of an internet cafe.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    vital5 wrote:
    No we aren't ... i'm not a psychologist dealing with what's inside these people's heads... it's an eye opener... not everyone is aware that this goes on or how... get your head out of the sand...

parents letting their kids on the internet might actually become more aware of what their kids are doing on the net now.
    So prior to this engaging and educational show decidated to providing a valuable social service ( :rolleyes: ), you were unaware of this little phenomenon known as paedophilia? And I'M the one who needs to get my head of the sand?

I have known, first hand, a person who has been abused. It is a FAR more complex issue than this programme seeks to portray or address. It's a fucking dangerous show. It's helping no one.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • barakabaraka Posts: 1,268
    Bummy213 wrote:

I must admit I'm guilty of watching it a bit (and I don't even watch television hardly). As far as it being right or wrong, it's a touchy subject. What is wrong however is Chris Hansen and his constant reminding to the predator of his name. "Do you know who I am?"........"Well I'm going to tell you who I am in a bit"......"Get ready for it, because I'm going to tell you who I am"..."My name is Chris Hansen, I'm a correspondant for Dateline MSNBC"..."Have you seen the show before?"......"Have a seat, c'mon why don't you just have a seat."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kuV8j-cCFc
    The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance,
    but the illusion of knowledge.
    ~Daniel Boorstin

Only a life lived for others is worth living.
    ~Albert Einstein
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    I caught a bit of the show early in the day, and when I came back home from the fireworks, I watched some more as I drifted away. As far as I know, they havent had a new episode in years. I know there is a pending lawsuit from the wife of the Texas man who committed suicide due to the show and with all the exposure, I find it hard to believe they can still get gullible men to show up at these houses. Still very interesting TV.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I've learned that if your are a predator that if your offered sweet tea the second you enter the door to turn around and run!
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Ha, well especially if you are in Georgia.

They actually did one near me in Fairfax County, VA. One of the guys who they caught, the very next day he was busted again trying to meet someone at a Mcdonalds in Virginia. It's pretty close to where one of my friends live and everytime we walk past, one of us brings up "this is where one of the predators was busted".
  • obiwon76 wrote:
    They actually did one near me in Fairfax County, VA. One of the guys who they caught, the very next day he was busted again trying to meet someone at a Mcdonalds in Virginia. It's pretty close to where one of my friends live and everytime we walk past, one of us brings up "this is where one of the predators was busted".

Yeah, that guy was on yesterday.

"I WAS JUST GETTING SOMETHING TO EAT!"

Regardless, these guys are all freaks. Anybody who chats online with teenagers, whether real teens or not, are freaks. It doesn't matter if the teen messgaes you, tries to get you to talk about sex, anyone with any kind of morals would realize this shit is messed up. I mean fucking 13 years old? Gross.
    Who dat

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I was watching this last night. Great show.

Btw, I will be appearing on an episode in March so make sure you tune in and cheer me on.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293

Obviously not a lot of parents do. Have you not seen some shit on myspace? Pretty disturbing.

:lol: