Options

2 & 1/2 months u should lose 52 lbs!!!!

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Okay so i am not into diets. I believe that to lose weight you need to eat right and exercise. Thats it! use common sense. BUT.......................................

In 2001 when my wife and i got married, we wanted to lose a bunch of weight to look good for it. ( As most people do)
So a friend gave us this diet and I swear by it.
IT IS NOT HEALTHY LONG TERM!!!!! Its good only for a really short time.
When I started it I was 228lbs, after the diet I was 187lbs. Lean and mean for the wedding. So I know for a fact that it works. ONLY IF YOU FOLLOW IT EXACTLY!!!!

Here it is..... (PS I also exercised a lot)

Breakfast: 1/2 a grapefruit or grapefruit juice (unsweetened)
2 eggs, any style
2 slices of bacon (a must)

Lunch: 1/2 a grapefruit or Juice ( unsweetened)
Salad with any dressing
Meat- any amount, any style

Dinner: 1/2 a grapefruit or Juice (unsweetnend)
Meat- any amount any style ( Fish can be substituted)
Vegetables- any green or red, raw / cooked anyway
Night Snack: Glass of Tomato Juice or skim milk

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. At any meal, eat until you are full
2. Do not skip the bacon at breakfast or omit the salad. Its the combo of food that burns the fat.
3. The grape fruit is important b/c it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process.
4. Cut down of coffee. It effects the insulin balance that hinders the burning process. LIMIT 3 cups per day!
5. DO NOT eat between meals. If you start this diet properly, you will not be hungry in a few days.
6. Do not eat dessert, bread or any kind of White Veggies or sweet potatoes. You may double or triple the helpings of meat, Salad, veggies! Eat as much as you want. THE MORE YOU EAT THE MORE WEIGHT YOU LOOSE!

NOTES:

This diet completely eliminates sugar and starches.
You can lose 10 lbs in 10 days
THERE WILL BE NO LOSS THE FIRST 4 DAYS!!!!!!!!!
YOU WILL LOSE 5 LBS ON THE 5th DAY!
Thereafter, you will lose 1 1/2 lbs every 2 days until you reach your desired weight.
DRINKS: Diet or Caffeine free. I Suggest water.
YOU MAY HAVE: Red Onion, Broccoli, Lettuce, Tomates, Bell Peppers, Green Onions, Cabbage, Radishes, Spinach and Carrots.
YOU MAY NOT HAVE:White Onions, Potatoes or Celery

STAY ON DIET FOR 12 DAYS AND STOP FOR 2 DAYS!!!!!

Good Luck
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    it's like an extrmely restritive version of an atkins and/or low carb diet. i could never do that, b/c what happens after you go back to eating normally? how do you keep the weight off? i think limiting yourself to such a degree may *work* for losing weight quickly, it does not help you keep it off long-term, and more importantly, does not teach you healthy eating habits for maintaining proper health, nutrition and weight maintenance. not saying it doesn't work, i am sure it does...it's simply the aftermath i wonder about. merely my 2 cents.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    it's like an extrmely restritive version of an atkins and/or low carb diet. i could never do that, b/c what happens after you go back to eating normally? how do you keep the weight off? i think limiting yourself to such a degree may *work* for losing weight quickly, it does not help you keep it off long-term, and more importantly, does not teach you healthy eating habits for maintaining proper health, nutrition and weight maintenance. not saying it doesn't work, i am sure it does...it's simply the aftermath i wonder about. merely my 2 cents.

I agree 100%
    But I think it helps if you are extremely overweight. It gives you confidence to want to eat right and exercise. As I said, Its onlt good for short term!
    You need to eat healthy and exercise. It worked for me.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    I agree 100%
    But I think it helps if you are extremely overweight. It gives you confidence to want to eat right and exercise. As I said, Its onlt good for short term!

as i said, i agree it will help you lose the weight, but obviously you HAD to alter your food consumption AFTER the diet as well, not go back to the same old habits...or the weight would come right back and then some. i could probably do it for 12 days, altho that still would be hard, i love a great variety of food......but what do you do on the 2 days off? eat whatever you want? then go back on the diet? i cannot imagine eating just what you outlined for 2 months straight! :eek: but i guess whatever works. none the less...i hope people are careful and monitor their helath properly. there are much more healthy ways to lose the weight, with much greater variety. slower yes, but for most...more than likely to stick with it, develop better eating habits for life.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    as i said, i agree it will help you lose the weight, but obviously you HAD to alter your food consumption AFTER the diet as well, not go back to the same old habits...or the weight would come right back and then some. i could probably do it for 12 days, altho that still would be hard, i love a great variety of food......but what do you do on the 2 days off? eat whatever you want? then go back on the diet? i cannot imagine eating just what you outlined for 2 months straight! :eek: but i guess whatever works. none the less...i hope people are careful and monitor their helath properly. there are much more healthy ways to lose the weight, with much greater variety. slower yes, but for most...more than likely to stick with it, develop better eating habits for life.

Sure I altered my diet after, I now eat tons of fruit and salads and organic fresh food. Not processed.
    I posted this b/c many people want a quick fix. This gives you a quick fix just like lipo sugery, but afterwards you needs to eat right.
    Just trying to help the chubbie people in the world!
    Most people will not chsnge there lifestyle of eating unless they have a serious health issue. I thought this would give them a jump start.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    One pound is 3500 calories. That is the caloric deficit required to lose a pound.

A 500-1000 daily calorie deficit is one-two pounds a week (3500-7000 cals)

The average person would have to exercise for several hours (i.e. burn off 1500 calories) and not eat anything at all to create a daily deficit of 3500 calories (with an average BMR of 2000 calories).

Much of it would come from muscle wastage.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Sure I altered my diet after, I now eat tons of fruit and salads and organic fresh food. Not processed.
    I posted this b/c many people want a quick fix. This gives you a quick fix just like lipo sugery, but afterwards you needs to eat right.
    Just trying to help the chubbie people in the world!
    Most people will not chsnge there lifestyle of eating unless they have a serious health issue. I thought this would give them a jump start.

btw - you never clarified....you say 12 days on, 2 days off. those 2 days, what do you eat? ANYthing? or is there restrictions. i am curious. :)

and in regards to roland's post - i would think it would work very similarly to an extremely low-carb and/or atkins diet. your body goes into kerotisis(sp) or whatever it's called - and with that, burns bodyfat, not muscle, b/c of the intake of protein/fat.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    I think a short term approach like this could get people over the initial hump of losing a few LB's. I don't think your plan should be the SuperSizeMe diet after this, but it might get someone to lose 40 LBs and think "I need to run daily and eat better to look like this".

The initial eating better and exercising right off the bat thing is so intimidating to some people. You need stepping stones!
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    yikes, this is like the atkins diet on crack...

I did atkins for like 4 months once. I was SUPER strict, no carbs at all. I lost 40lbs in 4 months, but that wasn't all I lost.. my hair started all coming out..

it was so scary.

I can see how this diet would work, but you're gonna feel totally sapped of all your energy. It seems it would be very hard to work out on this..

I hear you about jump starting though. Atkins lead me to a healthy lifestyle eventually, and the confidence I got from losing that 40, really made me want to never get up there again.
  • Options
    i lost about 20 lbs on a similar lowcarb diet, but eventually changed it to a 40%protein/40%carb/20% fat diet (and working out a lot to use all the protein) to lose the rest.

by american standards, any diet is a low carb. we eat waaaaaaaaaay too many carbs.
  • Options
    doing these short term diets is really not a good idea (trust me, I have gone to so many nutritionists in my life I practically have an honorary degree). What happens is it make it really hard to eat normally in the long term. Dieting of any kind- especially these "quick fixes"- will lead people to binging and starving and bad eating habits for life. When you do these things, you learn to ignore your body's natural eating intuition, which we all have deep down under the dieting hype that builds up in our brains since childhood.

No one needs to lose weight quickly, no matter what event is coming up. just do what you can with what you have at the time. eating intuitively and healthy and exercising over the long term is the only way to be healthy.

p.s. I did almost this exact same diet when I was college. I only did a 3 week version though. I lost about 10 lbs but then of course gained it right back when I went back to normal healthy eating. it's not a good idea. plus diets like this can screw with your seratonin levels, so be advised that you may be a depressed bitch for the length of it. Oh and if you have any stomach troubles at all, you will NOT be able to exercise.
  • Options

and in regards to roland's post - i would think it would work very similarly to an extremely low-carb and/or atkins diet. your body goes into kerotisis(sp) or whatever it's called - and with that, burns bodyfat, not muscle, b/c of the intake of protein/fat.

Muscle will get burned before fat stores to my knowledge, which is why you have pound down protein on this diet. Ketosis is not a particularly healthy state to be in, and the water intake should be huge on this approach.

http://www.doctorslounge.com/endocrinology/forums/backup/topic-3532.html
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    btw - you never clarified....you say 12 days on, 2 days off. those 2 days, what do you eat? ANYthing? or is there restrictions. i am curious. :)

the two days off you eat what ever you want.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    As I said from the start. Its a quick fix. To get started.
    Now that I think about it, I remember being told it was used a lot by woman who just had a baby. It helped them get back to there normal weight.

I see how you say its like atkins but you can eat chicken and fish. The bacon is the bad part. the other two days that you take off you can stock up on the healthy stuff.

Again, I found the paper with the diet on it when I was cleaning out my office, It helped me lose a bunch of weight w long time ago so I thought I would post it.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    don't eat white..as in bread or sugar or pasta..
    eat whole wheat if you must eat grains.
    use brown sugar or raw sugar or honey if you must use a sweetner.
    i dont eat bread very much, used to, not now.
    i dont like eating white sugar=processed sugar, it's bad news.
    i use an agave sweeter from the cactus, @ health food stores.
    never do i drink soda's, pop, soft drinks- diet or sweetened, no no no.
    kick me in the balls first before i drink a soda.
    water-a gallon a day easy in the summer time, a bit less in the winter.
    fresh fruits, vegetables everyday.(grapefruit/juice,oranges.
    dont eat iceberg lettuce=zero anything in it of nutritoinal value, its water.
    eat spinach and those bad ass lettuces.
    oatmeal every morning, maybe some eggs and bacon when im fancy morning guy.(spinach omlets rock)
    fish and chicken broiled/grilled.

do this with excercise and you'll feel good.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I think a short term approach like this could get people over the initial hump of losing a few LB's.

I've read and heard from my nutritionist that this common idea is very, very bad for you.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    This is by no means a healthy way to lose weight. I've lost 28lb in two months by substituting meals for coffee or alcohol. I'm not pretending it was healthy and i'm trying to get back on track.
    The thing is short term weight loss is just that, temporary.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    This is by no means a healthy way to lose weight. I've lost 28lb in two months by substituting meals for coffee or alcohol. I'm not pretending it was healthy and i'm trying to get back on track.

but the negative effects (physiological, psychological, and hormonal) can last a life time.
  • Options
    Yea, it's just temporary but as roland2k pointed out, when you lose weight that fast, you're losing both fat AND muscle...when you lose muscle, your bmr goes down which means you now have to eat less than you did before just to maintain your weight. So if you eat like this temporarily then go back to normal diet (even one that is healthier than you were doing before), you will put on fat again.

IMO, the only real solution is a long-term one.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    This kinda looks like phase one of the South Beach Diet...which is only intended to last two weeks.

You can lose somewhere between 6-12 pounds if you stick to lean meats, low glycemic index vegetables (nutrient-dense "good" carbs...no starchy white potatoes), low-fat cheese, nuts, and eggs for two weeks. Moderation is the key to success on most diets, and that's definitely true on South Beach.

For those who may be interested:

The South Beach Diet is not a typical "low-carb" diet like Atkins. Instead, it teaches you to rely on the right carbohydrates and fats and nutrient-rich foods. I've had great success on the plan and my skin looks really beautiful. South Beach keeps you away from most processed foods, high sodium foods and anything with high fructose corn syrup...which are the devil.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yea, it's just temporary but as roland2k pointed out, when you lose weight that fast, you're losing both fat AND muscle...when you lose muscle, your bmr goes down which means you now have to eat less than you did before just to maintain your weight. So if you eat like this temporarily then go back to normal diet (even one that is healthier than you were doing before), you will put on fat again.

I fully agree, and that's what I'm trying to do. It's hard though, when you get out of the habit of eating.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:

this is pretty much what happened to me (even though I didn't "diet"). My bmr was really low, but then I eased up just a bit on food and exercise and even though I was probably eating healthier than before, my body went NUTS. I gained 40 lbs. And I STILL feel like I don't need any food most of the time.
  • Options
    Muscle will get burned before fat stores to my knowledge, which is why you have pound down protein on this diet. Ketosis is not a particularly healthy state to be in, and the water intake should be huge on this approach.

http://www.doctorslounge.com/endocrinology/forums/backup/topic-3532.html

and what i have read about low-carb/atkins type diets is that by going into a state of ketosis prevents muscle loss and promotes body fat loss, and thus how it all 'works.' south beach and atkins, or just about ANY low carb diet are all extremely similar. what the poster above wrote about south beach tis the same for atkins. perhaps atkins is a bit more restrictive the first 2 weeks, absolutely no fruit/nuts then....but added in by the third....but very, very similar. and atkins promotes eating ALL healthy meat proteins, meaning yes red meat...but also chicken and fish. i always find it amusing how so many seem to think it encourages red meat eating only, and with abandon. :p

anyhoooooo...i agree, 'quick fixes' don't work long-term, changing your lifestyle overall does. however, this does sound interesting. the one and only time i ever dieted, following atkins, i lost 30 pounds...got back to my skinny self. however, i went right back to my wicked ways :o...so gained it all back. there was a good reason i was no longer my skinny self - age, metabolic changes, and most importantly, poor diet. i did manage to lose i think 12 pounds those first 2 weeks on the most restrictive phase. perhaps i'll give it a go again, or this, just to get myself in a more disciplined mode, 'jump start' myself...and sure...make a dent in my weight to start. i found my skin and hair were wonderful following atkins/low-carb...no hair loss, no cholesterol gains, etc.....but i did not take it as permission to gorge myself on meat either. i am not really a big meat eater, but you don't have to eat a lot of meat to be low-carb! i've already loaded up on fruit for the week, but i may try this out as an 'experiment' with myself next week. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I agree 100%

How much do you weigh now?
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    and what i have read about low-carb/atkins type diets

and the nutritionist told me that low carb diets can work very well for extremely sedentary, extremely obese people, but that no one else should try them. You NEED carbs to exercise. I once tried south beach phase I and couldn't exercise at all. I was just sapped. In addition, I felt like shit emotionally and was a total bitch.

that being said south beach phase III is pretty much just common sense healthy eating- whole grains and whatnot.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    south beach and atkins, or just about ANY low carb diet are all extremely similar. what the poster above wrote about south beach tis the same for atkins. perhaps atkins is a bit more restrictive the first 2 weeks, absolutely no fruit/nuts then....but added in by the third....but very, very similar. and atkins promotes eating ALL healthy meat proteins, meaning yes red meat...but also chicken and fish. i always find it amusing how so many seem to think it encourages red meat eating only, and with abandon.

Low carb diets are similar...gotta find the right one for you. I've been told by nutritionists that the South Beach Diet restricts saturated fats more than Atkins. Instead, it focuses on heart-healthy monounsaturated and omega 3 fats. Butter isn't allowed on the diet.

With my family's history of colon cancer, Atkins isn't the best option b/c of the saturated fat intake & red meat.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i'll have to try this out :D

anyway, i just started to eat 4-6 times a day...it's hard to get 6 in everyday. as healthy as you can eat obviously...couple that with some exercise...

i'm feeling good everyday and dropping my weight.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    i'll have to try this out :D

anyway, i just started to eat 4-6 times a day...it's hard to get 6 in everyday. as healthy as you can eat obviously...couple that with some exercise...

i'm feeling good everyday and dropping my weight.
    That's good yea...I eat 6 every day (1 about every 3 hours or so). It definitely revs your metabolism.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    That's good yea...I eat 6 every day (1 about every 3 hours or so). It definitely revs your metabolism.

yeah it makes a huge difference. I try to eat a bit every 4 hours or so. it's so funny, eating small amounts throughout the day seems to be such common knowledge to me now, but I still know people who stick to the old "no snacking between meals" mantra.

hmm which reminds me I should have a snack now.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Saturnal wrote:

dammit...

my mother-n-law had food for me and it was a chesseburger!!!

i hate turning down food when people buy it for me....

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    roar wrote:
    Low carb diets are similar...gotta find the right one for you. I've been told by nutritionists that the South Beach Diet restricts saturated fats more than Atkins. Instead, it focuses on heart-healthy monounsaturated and omega 3 fats. Butter isn't allowed on the diet.

With my family's history of colon cancer, Atkins isn't the best option b/c of the saturated fat intake & red meat.

well i don't eat butter and rarely eat red meat beyond the occasional burger, and i did atkins just fine. you can tailor it to suit. anyhoo, absolutely......you find what fits/works for you.

and i have never been obese/truly heavy, although certainly rather sedentary. :p nowadays i get a good brisk 45 minute walk in 5x a week due to my walk/train commute and i love it. but that's about all the excercise i forsee for me for a long while. excercise/working out just ain't my thang.....so i am happy with my daily walking. perhaps someday that'l change. funny thing to, when i did follow low-carb well, i had soooooooo much energy, right from the start! so i do believe everyone is different.

poh and yes - i eat all the time! :) i usually have a piece of fruit or something healthy every couple hours.....definitely good!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...