Met Stevie Ray Vaughn 24 years ago today

vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
edited April 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Wow...That's more than half my life ago...(1983)

He was one super-cool dude, that's for sure. We were outside the backstage area freezing to death, when his limo pulled up. He got out and said hello and talked with us for about 10 minutes. He was wearing red leather boots and a matching red leather hat. "A gift from my brother!" he said. One of the kids that was hanging out with us was so shy...asked SRV if he could play "Voodoo Chile", which he did. I got SRV's autograph, but the shy kid was too afraid to ask him, so I gave it to the kid. I was there to see the Moody Blues...who did NOT get out of their limos to talk to us....

SRV was absolutely incredible that night (he opened for the MB). My friend and I had 3rd row seats and I was completely blown away by SRV!

Four years later I met Jimmy Lee Vaughn and related the story about the hat and the boots and he had a good chuckle...

Just thought I'd share....
be philanthropic
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wow what a cool story! i wish i had seen him live....how nice of you to share your autograph with that kid :)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Nice memories! :D
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    awesome story :) I don't listen to blues anymore, it just bores me to death but SRV was something else. Even when he was making poppy stuff like Crossfire, his guitar skills were on another planet. one of the few bluesmen to come close to Hendrix in my opinion.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    It's kind of weird to think about it now...I was 17 and Stevie Ray Vaughn wasn't quite the huge guitar god yet...but looking back at what he became, it seems rather silly that I said this MAJOR guitar hero (and massive influence on so many), "Hey! Your boots match your hat!".

But you know, he was just so darned nice -- down to earth and genuine. That's one of my favourite moments in my life EVER, and while I wasn't a huge fan of his music, I was a fan of his personableness (?). I am so fortunate that we made direct eye contact and shared a moment (and a giggle) and I certainly appreciate that opportunity...

I did shortly thereafter become a fan of his music and the album "Couldn't Stand the Weather"....and the "Cold Shot" video....

PS. This was in Vancouver, by the way. A very cold and rainy November night.
    be philanthropic
  • Thank you for sharing your story. :D
  • prismprism Posts: 2,440
    that's very :cool: I never met the guy but and friend and I saw him in a club in D.C. in July of '83. it was funny cause her and i were hangin' out after work and she says to me "I going to the Bayou (the name of the club) to see Stevie Ray Vaughn play tonight, you should come with me"
    I turned to her and said "who's that?" really at that point pretty much no one knew of him yet.
    I wasn't really in the mood to go out that night but she talked me into going. I'm so damn glad that she did too. we both just stood there transfixed with our jaws practically on the floor...his playing was totally amazing to see live. so i know what ya mean about being blown away by him. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Pride and Joy on Guitar Hero 3! One of my fav songs to play.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Good thread! I wanted to go and see him(SRV) in 90 when he played Fargo,ND (grew up in Bismarck).Anyhow, I couldn't convince my dad and future step-mom to take me. I always felt like a big geek in high school b/c I loved SRV and Clapton's music.Any how,I was watching the dvd of this years Crossroads festival and I listened to a little bit of Jimmy playing last night. He's good,but I miss Stevie.........
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Almost 30 now
  • MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    Another one of the greats that was taken too soon....
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • morellomorello Posts: 6,212
    Cool story. Thanks for sharing. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011