Options

Political Correctness Gone Wild!

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So many months ago I created an ad for my job (real estate agent) using this famous photo: http://tonova.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/shootdog_1.jpg

This picture was from National Lampoons magazine, and while not everybody would find it funny, I didn't expect some of the remarks I received. Basically Craigslist (where I run the ad amongst other places) wants to remove it and I've even had a couple of people email me stating that I should be fired for running such an ad and how could my company support someone who is in favor of dog murder!!! It should be noted that I received quite a lot of compliments on the ad (far more than complaints) and picked up a few cleints because of it. If you're wondering what the pic has to do with real estate I changed the remark about the book to "Is Your Landlord Holding You Hostage?" to convert renters into buyers. So in your opinion, was I being cruel and heartless, or are people far too sensitive nowadays? I was going to use this picture: http://www.americandigest.org/mt-archives/cat%20burglar-thumb.jpg but in retrospect it's probably a good thing that I didn't.
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I think it is pretty common knowledge (among us 'normies' anyway) that people are way too sensitive nowadays.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    I think it is pretty common knowledge (among us 'normies' anyway) that people are way too sensitive nowadays.

That's what I thought, but seeing how I can't address the potential clients that are offended I thought I would like to hear from the other side and discuss it with them. I can't discuss it with Craig, that POS and I have a hate/hate relationship.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    While it is a predictable reaction, this crap has to stop.

Ba Ba Rainbow sheep and all.

Funny idea, and i hope your stand against the rise of stupidity works.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    well people went nuts when lampoon first published it....yet it put them on the map.....remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity....;) :)
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i would have had the ad showing its head exploded... i hate dogs with a passion, although any creature that can lick its own genitals is to be admired i suppose, but then it defeats that greatness by chasing and biting its own tail followed by the inappropriate mounting of children at barbecues.

hate dogs :(
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Funny idea, and i hope your stand against the rise of stupidity works.

No chance of me standing up to Craig. That guy is on a power trip that makes Donald Trump look like Mother Goose.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    cutback wrote:
    well people went nuts when lampoon first published it....yet it put them on the map.....remember, there is no such thing as bad publicity....;) :)

Exactly.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    i would have had the ad showing its head exploded... i hate dogs with a passion, although any creature that can lick its own genitals is to be admired i suppose, but then it defeats that greatness by chasing and biting its own tail followed by the inappropriate mounting of children at barbecues.

hate dogs :(

That's the thing, though. I like dogs. Hell, I like most living creatures. I'd have used a terroist holding someone hostage if I was trying to offend. The picture is as always has been a joke.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    You wussed out...should have used the kitten one.
    I would have bought 5 homes from you way over asking price if you had done so.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    You wussed out...should have used the kitten one.
    I would have bought 5 homes from you way over asking price if you had done so.

DAMMIT! Now you tell me! I swear I'll try harder next time! How about a litter of kittens being approached by a pack of wolves?!? Catch phrase could be something like "Stay ahead of the pack, or else you'll be crying over more than just spilled milk" or something. It needs some work, but it could be done. :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    mookie9999 wrote:
    That's the thing, though. I like dogs. Hell, I like most living creatures. I'd have used a terroist holding someone hostage if I was trying to offend. The picture is as always has been a joke.

whats even funnier is that in a country where about 50 kids are shot in the face per week folk get the hump when a dog is shown a gun... they could have shown it a rubiks cube and it would have been horrified... that would have scared me at least.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    they could have shown it a rubiks cube and it would have been horrified... that would have scared me at least.

Especially if all the colors were lined up! Who can finish one of those anyways?!?! C'mon people. Somebody on here must be offended. I won't bite. Let me know where you're coming from.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    mookie9999 wrote:
    DAMMIT! Now you tell me! I swear I'll try harder next time! How about a litter of kittens being approached by a pack of wolves?!? Catch phrase could be something like "Stay ahead of the pack, or else you'll be crying over more than just spilled milk" or something. It needs some work, but it could be done. :D
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurt123/210146380/
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    whats even funnier is that in a country where about 50 kids are shot in the face per week folk get the hump when a dog is shown a gun...
    :D Fuckin political correctness... this fucking world is going crazy... and I, for one, am gonna fight it... so cmon, who's with me? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    As a cat lover, I've always loved that kitten picture. It's so funny! C'mon!

I'm not sure people are over sensitive, just stupid. The people that complained possibly had no personality or mind of there own. There's a new form of brainwashing going on in our Western countries.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    :D Fuckin political correctness... this fucking world is going crazy... and I, for one, am gonna fight it... so cmon, who's with me? :o
    Yeah! Lets Take it back! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6OselVRTsM
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Do dead dogs buy houses?

:D
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Do dead dogs buy houses?

:D

I was aiming for Leonal Helmsey's dog. Sure it's a small target market, but once you're in with Spike, you're runnin' with the big boys.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    A nice little update. I just received a nice threatening voicemail on the ad I had posted. The stupid son of a bitch that pranked me didn't block his number and it turns out he's a former employee who had been fired from my company. Just waiting for the right moment to return the call. :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    A nice little update. I just received a nice threatening voicemail on the ad I had posted. The stupid son of a bitch that pranked me didn't block his number and it turns out he's a former employee who had been fired from my company. Just waiting for the right moment to return the call. :D

HAHAHA. Idiot! - Not you!

What did this person say?
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    You monster!

Just kidding, kill the dog already! :D
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    HAHAHA. Idiot! - Not you!

What did this person say?

Something to the effect of:

"So you like to fucking kill dogs in your ad you fucking freaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk you should watch yoursellllffffffff" with the slurs as shown. Good times and laughter to be had all throughout my office.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Something to the effect of:

"So you like to fucking kill dogs in your ad you fucking freaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkk you should watch yoursellllffffffff" with the slurs as shown. Good times and laughter to be had all throughout my office.

Yeah. He sounds like a nutcase. I can't lie.
  • Options
    Yeah. He sounds like a nutcase. I can't lie.

LOL for some reason when you said 'I can't lie' I thought of Liar Liar.

'I Caaaaaaaan't LIIEEEEEEE!' :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison