Options

How can I see if someone is connected to my internet router??

stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I wanna know if I can see what computers are connected to my internet router, is this possible?? The internet's been slow lately and I think some unwanted people may be on. I am on a Mac by the way.
6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stylo17 wrote:
    I am on a Mac by the way.

there's your first problem.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    there's your first problem.

oh it's no problem. there are other threads for that.
    6/11/08 WPB

• Options
    stylo17 wrote:
    I wanna know if I can see what computers are connected to my internet router, is this possible?? The internet's been slow lately and I think some unwanted people may be on. I am on a Mac by the way.

Very simple depending on the make and model of you router. It a nutshell if you're using encryption on the wireless end, probably no one.

However, I know of code that can defeat any wireless 128 bit WEP connection in under a minute.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Very simple depending on the make and model of you router. It a nutshell if you're using encryption on the wireless end, probably no one.

However, I know of code that can defeat any wireless 128 bit WEP connection in under a minute.

well i took a look at my router (thru my computer) and i was able to see what devices were connected to it.

oh and you wanna teach me some of that code there?? :) (seriously tho)
    6/11/08 WPB

• Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    turn it off for a few hours, if someone comes knockin at your door saying WTF? then you know someone was attached to it, lol

seriously, if it's a wireless router, you should use some encryption, but be wary of WEP, it's very easy to crack WEP encryption. Use AES or TKIP. You'll have to search and learn it if you don't know, but if you are using Dynamic WEP someone could have hacked in and using you internet circuit.

If your internet is through Cable, it could be an issue that the cable is saturated. If you notice the latency during the evening when you neighbors are home, but not at most other times, this could be the case.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    there is a program called something like "packet sniffer" i dont know how to use it but i know a guy who did and found out someone was downloading movies from gnutella on his wireless network. it was WEP enabled and nonbroadcasting.
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    some routers give a list of connected computers.
  • Options
    thanks everyone, i changed my password from a WEP to a "WPA2-PSK [AES]" Hopefully this works!!
    6/11/08 WPB

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Can someone get access to ya stuff if you are on a wireless?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    turn it off for a few hours, if someone comes knockin at your door saying WTF? then you know someone was attached to it, lol

seriously, if it's a wireless router, you should use some encryption, but be wary of WEP, it's very easy to crack WEP encryption. Use AES or TKIP. You'll have to search and learn it if you don't know, but if you are using Dynamic WEP someone could have hacked in and using you internet circuit.

If your internet is through Cable, it could be an issue that the cable is saturated. If you notice the latency during the evening when you neighbors are home, but not at most other times, this could be the case.

I'm looking into making some internet changes at home, and we are considering a wireless connection (as we would like to use our computer in multiple locations). But the security issue is a big concern for us.

Do most routers come with some type of encryption to avoid non-authorized users gaining access to your internet, or is is something we would need to add on ourselves?
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh