Tumble Weeds ?!?!?

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited June 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
People will buy anything !!

Rolling in Cash

All Linda Katz had to do was step outside of her house to make thousands on the Internet. Now the Midwestern entrepreneur is building a business selling a piece of the old west online: tumbleweeds.

By KEVIN SITES, TUE NOV 20, 3:54 PM PST

Linda started her online business, the Prairie Tumbleweed Farm, as a joke. It was 1994 and she wanted to teach herself how to design a website. Since she lived on the prairie in southwest Kansas, where rolling tumbleweeds are sometimes the only dynamic feature of an endless flat horizon, she invented a farm that sold tumbleweeds, listing prices at $15 for a small one, $20 for a medium and $25 for large.

Linda Katz roams the prairie in southwest Kansas for tumbleweeds.
Lucky for her, some people didn’t get the joke. People emailed the site wanting to buy them. But even then Linda doubted she would be able to spin this straw into gold. “When I got an order I was just amazed,” she says, sitting on the porch of her home in Garden City, Kansas. “And each order I got, I thought it would probably be the last order. I remember thinking they would probably get them and send them back immediately as soon as they find out what they are.”

A tumbleweed barrels down the highway in Garden City, KS.
But that didn't happen. In fact, the orders just kept coming -- an average of 15 per week. Though she’s coy about her annual income from tumbleweed wrangling, she says it is over $40,000 a year. Not bad for a bunch of dead, dried-up weeds. Who buys them? Well, says Katz, rocket scientists, for one. NASA purchased tumbleweeds when they were designing their Mars Tumbleweed rover. “And if you go to their site on the NASA site to the tumbleweed rover, and you go to their links, they say that they only buy their tumbleweeds from Prairie Tumbleweed Farm,” Katz says proudly.

Linda Katz takes orders for tumbleweeds in her Kansas home.
Hollywood has also come calling. Katz’s tumbleweeds have appeared in films like Johnny Depp’s “Neverland.” And she has supplied tumbleweeds to the big purple dinosaur kid’s show, “Barney.”

Linda Katz shows off a large tumbleweed near her home.
Katz says people usually use her tumbleweeds to recreate the look and feel of the old west for theme parties. But some customers tell her they buy tumbleweeds to remind them of the home on the prairie they left long ago.

http://potw.news.yahoo.com/s/potw/55334/rolling-in-cash
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    :o

over 40K a year..
    wah
  • Unbelievable. :o

I'm curious as to who is buying these tumbleweeds, but good for her. Nice business profits.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    speaking as someone that's been to Garden City a couple of times....

she's probably the smartest woman there---at least she's making some $ while being stuck in the asshole of the sunflower state. and "tumbleweed watching" is just about the only thing to do in that shithole of a town. i was so happy when i broke up with my exgf for a number of reasons...and one of them was that i wouldn't have to go to her hometown of Garden City ever again.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    mfc2006 wrote:

she's probably the smartest woman there---at least she's making some $ while being stuck in the asshole of the sunflower state. and "tumbleweed watching" is just about the only thing to do in that shithole of a town. i was so happy when i broke up with my exgf for a number of reasons...and one of them was that i wouldn't have to go to her hometown of Garden City ever again.

I suspect you aren't a travel agent....
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    norm wrote:

The man ate bacon at every meal....
    mfc2006 wrote:

you would be correct, sir!

and if anyone on this board lives there...i'm sorry...but that town is horrible.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    mfc2006 wrote:

he's from the garden city chamber of commerce...well, was...
    norm wrote:
    mfc2006 wrote:

he's from the garden city chamber of commerce...well, was...

no media, please!!!!!! i'm...well, i'm just not ready for that type of scrutiny....not quite yet, with all do respect. please respect my, ummmm....family and whatnot....because they're important to me and stuff...and..

there's other stuff going on, Garden Citians (?)....like real politics...um...a war.....an oil spill that may break my '78 Buicks record (wow! that's a LOT of oil!)....and ya know....um...other stuff.

yes, for the record...i don't live in KS anymore......but does that really matter???? i didn't read the rulebook. if i'm wrong, please email me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:imgladthatiwonteverhavetogotogardencityagain@yahoo.com">imgladthatiwonteverhavetogotogardencityagain@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->.

sincerely,

(that's a lie...i'm not sincere about anything)

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com