The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• MFCarissa wrote:
    Shootouts have made all win/loss/point records meaningless across eras. 75-76 Flyers won 20 straight home games IN REGULATION. Also went 36-2-2 for the season. And kicked the shit out of the Soviet Red Army! :mrgreen: The Red Wings ARE the Soviet Red Army. ;)

WAY more parity these days with the cap though. So I think it's pretty much a wash. You just can't dominate the league like that anymore.

Yes there were some terrible teams in the NHL at that time (Kansas City Scouts & Washington Capitals - go check out their records :lol: ). BUT. During that streak, the Flyers beat the 101 point New York Islanders twice, the 105 point and prior season Finalist Buffalo Sabres twice, and the 127 point Cup winners Montreal Canadiens. They also beat (and beat up) the Red Army at the Spectrum (only NHL team out of 4 to do so). Also, the 20 game streak went through the end of the regular season, and they won all four home games in their quarterfinal series vs. Toronto. So it was really a 25-game winning streak, with 21 games being without the aid of (4 on 4) overtime or shootouts. The Red Wings have 3 shootout wins during their streak, which could practically be considered ties. One was over 16-40 Columbus.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Yes there were some terrible teams in the NHL at that time (Kansas City Scouts & Washington Capitals - go check out their records :lol: ). BUT. During that streak, the Flyers beat the 101 point New York Islanders twice, the 105 point and prior season Finalist Buffalo Sabres twice, and the 127 point Cup winners Montreal Canadiens. They also beat (and beat up) the Red Army at the Spectrum (only NHL team out of 4 to do so). Also, the 20 game streak went through the end of the regular season, and they won all four home games in their quarterfinal series vs. Toronto. So it was really a 25-game winning streak, with 21 games being without the aid of (4 on 4) overtime or shootouts. The Red Wings have 3 shootout wins during their streak, which could practically be considered ties. One was over 16-40 Columbus.

I think they are both impressive in different ways. I mean, we've had AHL level goaltending in net for the past few games. I thought the streak was going to instantly die as soon as Howard went down, but they've been scraping together wins. 23-2-1 at home is pretty damn impressive in 2011. It's not exactly easy playing in the Central Division this year either. I just wish the road record was better, but half of that is Conklin's fault. He's had nothing but road starts, and if he's not sent down to the minors when Howard gets back, Holland and Babcock will need their heads examined.

But yeah, I don't think this new streak diminishes the Flyers accomplishments in the 70s or anything. But if you want to argue shootouts, you can also argue that all the teams are operating under a CBA that's designed to spread out the talent. There's usually not that much difference between the 1 seed and 8 seed in the playoffs these days. Teams like Columbus, the Islanders, and Oilers have enough talent to beat any team on any given night (Buffalo routed Boston. Who saw that coming?). You just play with the rules you are given.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Well, we've had ECHL level goaltending for the majority of the season. Hell, you could say we've had it for the most part since the late 80's.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Well, we've had ECHL level goaltending for the majority of the season. Hell, you could say we've had it for the most part since the late 80's.
    :lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Well, we've had ECHL level goaltending for the majority of the season. Hell, you could say we've had it for the most part since the late 80's.

Oh Bryzgalov. Lost in the woods. You have to wonder if Phoenix's system is what made him look so good. Mike Smith went from being a castaway back-up to stud goaltender in one season there.
  • "YOU'RE THE #1 COP ON THE FORCE BOBROVSKY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksb7UlwCIKQ
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    MFCarissa wrote:

Oh Bryzgalov. Lost in the woods. You have to wonder if Phoenix's system is what made him look so good. Mike Smith went from being a castaway back-up to stud goaltender in one season there.

perhaps it's time to import a new system
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    BTW, Rinaldo just got a 2 game suspension for his "charge" last night. 2 games. I really dont understand this league any more. It is becoming more like soccer every single game.

It's baffling. The hit on Briere was worse. Guy left his feet. But hey, that was clean.
  • My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

sign me...i'll go fuckin stand in front of bob and play whack a mole on the rangers. :lol:

Hal Gil is not the answer...i find standing pat and doing something in the off season when players can be had for just a contract.

although when you look at the cap for the next couple of years...it's not pretty.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

sign me...i'll go fuckin stand in front of bob and play whack a mole on the rangers. :lol:

Hal Gil is not the answer...i find standing pat and doing something in the off season when players can be had for just a contract.

although when you look at the cap for the next couple of years...it's not pretty.

i'll lay you out like your monday morning suit :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

i've seen you skate....not sure i would need to worry about you making it pass the blue line.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BTW, Rinaldo just got a 2 game suspension for his "charge" last night. 2 games. I really dont understand this league any more. It is becoming more like soccer every single game.

It's baffling. The hit on Briere was worse. Guy left his feet. But hey, that was clean.

I didn't even think that was a penalty. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Well, we've had ECHL level goaltending for the majority of the season. Hell, you could say we've had it for the most part since the late 80's.

I'd say Mites on Ice level goaltending.

BTW, Rinaldo just got a 2 game suspension for his "charge" last night. 2 games. I really dont understand this league any more. It is becoming more like soccer every single game.

I didn't even think that was a penalty. :roll:

that was the hit behind the net? if so, i agree...thought it was a weak call
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i've seen you skate....not sure i would need to worry about you making it pass the blue line.

i'll get ya eventually...come over the bench like the hanson's if need be
    :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Big game tonight. we need to win here. I hear Jagr had the flu yesterday but hearing he is still playing tonight.

any word on who is playing in net.

in other news, Luke shenn from the leafs was benched yesterday. i really hope the flyers are paying attention to this and don't trade for him.
    fife wrote:
    Big game tonight. we need to win here. I hear Jagr had the flu yesterday but hearing he is still playing tonight.

in other news, Luke shenn from the leafs was benched yesterday. i really hope the flyers are paying attention to this and don't trade for him.

81 IS STARTING IN THE PIPES...
    fife wrote:

you got me confused....i'm a power forward that stands in front of the net....i tried goalie once....once was more than enough
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    fife wrote:

you got me confused....i'm a power forward that stands in front of the net....i tried goalie once....once was more than enough

i actually tried it for a few games myself....wasn't for me
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Jagr out, Wellwood in.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Nicklas Grossman??? Is this guy any good,because we just gave up a 2nd and 3rd picks for him.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Nicklas Grossman??? Is this guy any good,because we just gave up a 2nd and 3rd picks for him.

Not gonna lie I dont know much about him. Good size 6'3" 230lbs seems like a shutdown guy.

News: The Stars have traded Grossman to the Flyers in exchange for a second-round selection in the 2012 Draft, plus a 2013 third-rounder, the team's official site reports. (Thu Feb 16)

Spin: Grossman has notched just five assists in 52 games for the Stars this season, but he can help the Flyers out with his ability as a shut-down defender.

Team Captain at 2005 World Juniors for Sweden
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

being swedish...he's a good skater? right? :lol:

looks like he averges a couple of hits and block shots a game.

looking forward to seeing him play
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    For this time of year, its a pretty good pickup. Grossman is a reliable defender with experience. Size is a plus on this team.

The 2nd and 3rd picks arent really a big issue. We still have a 2nd and a 3rd in this years draft I believe.
    Grossman will prob fit in the top 4 pairing.

Downside, he is a UFA after this year.
  • 81 wrote:
    being swedish...he's a good skater? right? :lol:

looks like he averges a couple of hits and block shots a game.

looking forward to seeing him play

Sure just like Kjell Smauellsson was :lol:

Yeah, good stay at home type guy it looks like

I'm reading the Dallas Stars message board to get the fan reactions

• For this time of year, its a pretty good pickup. Grossman is a reliable defender with experience. Size is a plus on this team.

The 2nd and 3rd picks arent really a big issue. We still have a 2nd and a 3rd in this years draft I believe.
    Grossman will prob fit in the top 4 pairing.

Downside, he is a UFA after this year.

I agree...the picks weren't the Flyers picks they traded away

He can't hurt thats for sure from what we've seen

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84578&p=4130316&hilit=grossman#p4130316

Boom. Brought this guy up before. Granted, I didn't know much of what I was talking about, but still.....boom.
  • http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84578&p=4130316&hilit=grossman#p4130316

Boom. Brought this guy up before. Granted, I didn't know much of what I was talking about, but still.....boom.

Wow !

You're money.

I wonder if Homer is done...I doubt it..anyone else you see them getting ?

:D