Options

ipod or zune?

edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
i've avoided buying overpriced mp3 players up until now, but since i have a little money to burn, i want one.

so which is better?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ipod.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    ipod is lame. microsoft isnt much better.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    There are 3 iPods, an iPhone and a Zune in my house. The Zune is mine. My music library is made up of DRM-free MP3s mostly ripped from my CDs. No need for DRM, Apple proprietary formats or any of that. If my kids switch from iPods to any other media player they've lost their iTunes investments. Like a bad meth habit, they're stuck.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    zuuuuuuuuuuuuuune

especially with the snazzy new software :)
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,861
    i have an ipod its alright, my friend got a zune, and you can make pictures backgrounds and he really likes it. Thats about all that i know about the zune.

Ipod will try to sell you 100's of accessories that you pretty much need to use with it unless you are just using headphones, ie) car adaptor, stereo, outlet charger (it came with a pc usb cord which also charges but thats about it).

So do some research on the zune.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    ipod is lame. microsoft isnt much better.

Archos? Creative Labs? Samsung? Insignia? iRiver? Sony?

i would go with iRiver...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    Archos? Creative Labs? Samsung? Insignia? iRiver? Sony?

i would go with iRiver...

i got a zen and i think its great. its a shame most stores only carry ipod or zune.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i got a zen and i think its great. its a shame most stores only carry ipod or zune.

ah yes...

i have heard those are nice.

i'm with you on ipod...i need to get something new.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    I got a $200 gift card to Target for Christmas from my bosses (pretty nice gift considering I've only been with them like 6 months). The week before Christmas they had the 4 gig zune for 149 with a $20 gift card with purchase so I bought it. I love it. Its easy to use, the screen is big and bright, and I like the software that comes with it better then iTunes. All in all it was a great purchase for me.
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    itunes was rated one of the 10 best apps of the 00's

also over 120 million people have ipods

i guess they are all morons :rolleyes:

apple usually does stuff better as with the ipod
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    Bought my girlfriend a Sansa portable mp3 player and she loves it..easy to use, etc..
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    jeffbr wrote:
    There are 3 iPods, an iPhone and a Zune in my house. The Zune is mine. My music library is made up of DRM-free MP3s mostly ripped from my CDs. No need for DRM, Apple proprietary formats or any of that. If my kids switch from iPods to any other media player they've lost their iTunes investments. Like a bad meth habit, they're stuck.

that's a naive way to look at it, if you're going to buy everything off Itunes then yeah you're pooched but seriously who does that? everything on my Itunes is either from a cd or files people sent me or shit I pirated, no DRM on that. I have an ipod and have made DVD backups of my music so if I need it I have 65GB of MP3 just waiting to be loaded, I bought an Ipod because it was so popular, you know all the kinks have been or will be worked out ASAP and if you ever have a problem you can ask almost anyone for advice.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    itunes was rated one of the 10 best apps of the 00's

also over 120 million people have ipods

i guess they are all morons :rolleyes:

apple usually does stuff better as with the ipod

the ipod really isnt that great and who picked itunes as one of the top 10? ipod was just marketed very well. doesnt mean its great or even good. what about all the people that run windows or own a dell computer?

apple is kinda a market machine thats all. mac's os x isnt even an apple design, but they sure can sell their computers with a cool image.

i dont think those 120 million are morons, just normal consumers. most people dont have the time and/or dont care about all the little stuff with technology. so they buy what they want and its usually something they dont have to look hard for.
  • Options
    oh i forgot to mention i dont really care which giant corporation takes my money (apple or microsoft). I just want to know which is best. thanks.

I'm leaning towards a zune i think. but what is this Zen thing?
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    oh i forgot to mention i dont really care which giant corporation takes my money (apple or microsoft). I just want to know which is best. thanks.

made by creative labs. they kinda just stick to computer audio stuff. why i checked them out. figured they probably know what they are doing since they have been making speakers and sound cards for computers since whenever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_ZEN
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I got the iPod alone for the accessories. If you are just going to load up some songs and stick it in your pocket, hell, get any of the ones mentioned. I would imagine most if not all will sound the same.

I got an iPod since the majority of the time I use it is while I am driving. Alpine makes stereo's built around it (others no doubt have followed suit). It allows me to put my iPod in the glove box and use the Alpine head unit to control what I want to listen to. I like CLEAN. This is just slick. Bose, same thing. Their sound dock is fantastic.

Every electronics manufacturer is using the iPod as the benchmark. If anything is going to come out, it will be compatable with it.

No doubt the Zune is a slick little product, however it just doesn't have the aftermarket support I like.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    that's a naive way to look at it, if you're going to buy everything off Itunes then yeah you're pooched but seriously who does that?

Younger kids these days. This is how they buy music. check out the #'s coming from Apple regarding iTunes sales, number customers, number of songs purchased, demographics of purchasers, etc... It is a huge business. I have never paid money for a compressed, downloaded song/album (except for 1 pj bootleg in mp3 before they wised up and offered FLAC). Everything I buy is either FLAC or physical CDs. So I understand what you're saying. But it is you who is naive if you think there isn't a new generation of people buying their music collection through iTunes.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Bought my girlfriend a Sansa portable mp3 player and she loves it..easy to use, etc..

that's what my g/f bought me for Christmas too. I love it. I don't need any damn videos or podcasts, just something to simply play music.
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Zune!
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I didn't want an iPod, but I was bought one. I've not had any problems with it whatoever. There's an easy way to get out of the DRM loaded songs from iTunes...don't buy from them. I'm not even registered for iTunes, and I never will be.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I got a Creative Zen. Nifty little thing and easy to use.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    zen.

peace, grasshoppers.
  • Options
    Ipod is where its at.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    jeffbr wrote:

Not exactly... they can still burn disks and then re rip them to mp3s using another prog. Pain in the ass but they dont loose the investment.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    I just won an itouch, anyone have one of those? Supposed to have WiFi support... I cant turn the damn thing on until I get home though :)
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:

Dont bother with the Zen... I was going to get a Zune since they released a new model. (before I just won this itouch, and already have a new nano). If you have a Xbox 360 take another look at the Zune there is some intergration they are working on with the two devices. Plus the Zune can sync over your wireless network. Granted you have to plug it into its power supply but still cool :).