Options

Want to buy a kayak...any help for me?

Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I have wanted a kayak for a few years now. I finally made the promise to myself that this is the year!! I live on the east coast near Long Island Sound. There are plenty of rivers and lakes around too, but I plan on doing most of my paddling in the sound. I just want to go out and putts around, especially since I am a beginner.
After all the research I have done I am torn between two different kayaks. My first choice is an Ocean Kayak, the Venus 11 sit on top. I am a medium size female, so I have to be able to carry the thing which is 40lbs. I also like the idea of it being self bailing and fairly easy to use. It's plastic so I can beat the snot out of it while I'm learning and not have to worry. It's easy to fish off too. Totally stable so you can swim and get in and out pretty easily.
The other is a Precision kayak. Its heavier and is not self bailing. It is a sit in, but not with a skirt or anything. I know it will track better.
I figure I can always upgrade in a few years if I do more serious kayaking.
Any ideas or info would be helpful. None of my friends are interested so I will be alone a lot and want to be safe!!
Thanks in advance!
Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I have wanted a kayak for a few years now. I finally made the promise to myself that this is the year!! I live on the east coast near Long Island Sound. There are plenty of rivers and lakes around too, but I plan on doing most of my paddling in the sound. I just want to go out and putts around, especially since I am a beginner.
    After all the research I have done I am torn between two different kayaks. My first choice is an Ocean Kayak, the Venus 11 sit on top. I am a medium size female, so I have to be able to carry the thing which is 40lbs. I also like the idea of it being self bailing and fairly easy to use. It's plastic so I can beat the snot out of it while I'm learning and not have to worry. It's easy to fish off too. Totally stable so you can swim and get in and out pretty easily.
    The other is a Precision kayak. Its heavier and is not self bailing. It is a sit in, but not with a skirt or anything. I know it will track better.
    I figure I can always upgrade in a few years if I do more serious kayaking.
    Any ideas or info would be helpful. None of my friends are interested so I will be alone a lot and want to be safe!!
    Thanks in advance!
    take a look intp wilderness systems.....you may like their product.

i have been using their boat for 6 years now on flat water and up to class 3. real comfortable with a seating systme called phase 1 and adjustable foot pegs.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my montauk buddies swear by the cobras

great for gardiners bay and the south side

weve got four fish n dives, we which use mostly for fishing, and they are wider than most for stability
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    first ... i wouldn't buy a sit on top unless i lived in a tropical climate ... the only advantage are they are lighter ... i would suggest you buy used plastic one ... something with a wide beam that fits you ... then i would seriously suggest you take lessons especially on how to self rescue - once you are comfortable about your safety - it opens up a lot of options for you and your boat ...

at this stage in the game, brand and design aren't as critical ... fit, practicality and cost are probably more important ...

i teach and guide kayaks - so, feel free to ask any other questions you may have ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    first ... i wouldn't buy a sit on top unless i lived in a tropical climate ... the only advantage are they are lighter ... i would suggest you buy used plastic one ... something with a wide beam that fits you ... then i would seriously suggest you take lessons especially on how to self rescue - once you are comfortable about your safety - it opens up a lot of options for you and your boat ...

at this stage in the game, brand and design aren't as critical ... fit, practicality and cost are probably more important ...

i teach and guide kayaks - so, feel free to ask any other questions you may have ...

dont forget the submersible VHF radio if there is a chance you can drift far or get stuck in a strong current
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Just remember to get a permit 12 years in advance. :p
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I own two Perception 11' kayaks that I use on lakes, rivers and streams. They are the sit-in kind. I think the sit on top are not used as much by people on the ocean or who are touring.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,448
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    Just remember to get a permit 12 years in advance. :p

It was just a matter of time til someone made a reference!
    :)
  • Options
    eskimo roll, eskimo roll, eskimo roll

don't get a sit on... yikes!
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    I'd avoid the sit-ons too. With some experience, you can pop out of any kayak that rolls in no time at all.
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    dont forget the submersible VHF radio if there is a chance you can drift far or get stuck in a strong current

should take a course on that as well ... knowing with coast guard station to call and how to call and how they will respond is important ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    should take a course on that as well ... knowing with coast guard station to call and how to call and how they will respond is important ...
    I did take classes already. I am familiar with the roll :). The sit on tops are really popular around here. I rented one from our local beach, thats all they have. I also used to do some diving in RI and we used them there so maybe its just what I am used to. I'm getting confused! The guys at the Small Boat shop in Norwalk Ct are having a sale in April, they usually have great deals. A percent off and no tax. So I have time. They recommended the Precision sit in. I know I don't want to spend over $700 and I know I need to be able to lift it by myself. I want to get a spot on the rack at the beach so I can pretty much bring it there and leave it for the summer except for heading to the Hudson a time or two.

When I was looking last summer on the racks there were a ton of sit on tops. I'm surprised all you guys say not to go that route....I'm listening though! Keep in mind I would be staying in the sound which can get choppy but not crazy. I don't want something that isn't stable as I am a klutz, and I don't want to use a skirt!
    When I was learning the roll, I took a class in Maine and they took you in a pond before we went out to the harbor. The pond was FULL of fish that pecked at you when you went into the water. I learned that roll real f'n quick. That was just freaky!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 wrote:
    I did take classes already. I am familiar with the roll :). The sit on tops are really popular around here. I rented one from our local beach, thats all they have. I also used to do some diving in RI and we used them there so maybe its just what I am used to. I'm getting confused! The guys at the Small Boat shop in Norwalk Ct are having a sale in April, they usually have great deals. A percent off and no tax. So I have time. They recommended the Precision sit in. I know I don't want to spend over $700 and I know I need to be able to lift it by myself. I want to get a spot on the rack at the beach so I can pretty much bring it there and leave it for the summer except for heading to the Hudson a time or two.

When I was looking last summer on the racks there were a ton of sit on tops. I'm surprised all you guys say not to go that route....I'm listening though! Keep in mind I would be staying in the sound which can get choppy but not crazy. I don't want something that isn't stable as I am a klutz, and I don't want to use a skirt!
    When I was learning the roll, I took a class in Maine and they took you in a pond before we went out to the harbor. The pond was FULL of fish that pecked at you when you went into the water. I learned that roll real f'n quick. That was just freaky!

I prefer the sit ons for the ocean-as do most out east. I would only go for a sit in if I was going long distances or paddling in harsh weather.
    check out the cobra escape-right in your price range-great light recreational kayak.
    http://www.cobrakayaks.com/kayaks/cobracat2.html
  • Options
    old town kayaks. that's the route i'm going for my wife and i. she's getting the 'otter' model, which is a little over 9 feet long, and i'm getting the 'rush' model (9 feet). both are sit ins.

and normally, they don't come with a spray skirt or a paddle, but you can probably get a deal from whoever you're buying from if you buy everything at once. and don't forget a life vest.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    The cobras are pretty nice, have to go see one. Thanks for all the info everyone!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 wrote:

well ... ultimately, you want to buy the right product for you ... the thing with a sit on top is you get wet and if the weather sucks - you get cold a lot faster ... if you have a roll - i'm not sure your aversion to the skirt ...
  • Options
    I don't want to be all covered up. I prefer a wider open space. Sounds stupid, but sitting in a little kayak with just my chest and head sticking out isn't the way I see myself tooling around. It seems too confined. If I was going in the ocean it would be a no brainer.
    The getting wet part is a concern.