Do you say Merry Christmas to people?

Comments

• mammasan wrote:
    I usually say Happy Holidays not because I don't believe in Christmas or anything but because there are a lot Jewish people where I work I figured by saying Happy Holidays I avoid that awkward moment where they tell me they're Jewish and I feel all stupid. This way everything is kosher.

lol... this post made me laugh... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • I think we should limit our wishing of "happy anything" to only those wearing holiday-themed sweaters. Because really...those are the ones who need it most. :D

this post made me miss lou... :o
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Who gets a whole week off at Christmas? I mean, unless you're a teacher...most people are working that week.

And, just so ya know...those people that are taking off on Christmas day (because their workplace is not open) are probably having to go to work on their own religious holidays.
    Most people I know do.

Okay the workplace comment wasn't necessary now that you say that. It wasn't really thought out.
    Cosmo wrote:
    Again... WHO? Who did you wish a 'Merry Christmas' to that got offended?
    I work at 7-11. It happens all the time.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Most people I know do.

Okay the workplace comment wasn't necessary now that you say that. It wasn't really thought out.

I work at 7-11. It happens all the time.

So everyone at 7-11 takes a week off at Christmas? Are you?

You must know a lot of teachers and/or full time students. Most of us are working during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. The world doesn't stop because of the holidays. There is still money to be made, and stores and offices are full of people working.
  • this post made me miss lou... :o

lol! That's scary.

We all have a little Bostonlou inside of us. (Boy, he would have had a blast with that comment.) :D
  • So everyone at 7-11 takes a week off at Christmas? Are you?

You must know a lot of teachers and/or full time students. Most of us are working during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. The world doesn't stop because of the holidays. There is still money to be made, and stores and offices are full of people working.
    a week off????

not in a million years....

i worked 7 hours on thanksgiving...
    i have to work christmas eve.....
    i have to work new years eve......

i havent had a week off since high school......24 years ago.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    danny72688 wrote:
    ...I work at 7-11. It happens all the time.
    do they actually say, "I'm offended that you said, 'Merry Christmas'."... or just give you the typical, "Bah... Humbug" type of response?
    I used to work at a 7-11. My guess is that they are assholes and it wouldn't matter what you said to them. They think you are a nobody. I used to run into assholes all night when I worked there.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • a week off????

not in a million years....

i worked 7 hours on thanksgiving...
    i have to work christmas eve.....
    i have to work new years eve......

i havent had a week off since high school......24 years ago.........

Well then you deserve a week off. :D
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I say Merry Christmas to customers at my brother's store, where I help out on weekends. I don't care really is someone is going to say something back to me that saying Merry Christmas offended them or some other reason, and if so, I welcome the debate.

Since it's an Italian deli, I'm not really worried about anyone reacting negatively though.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Well then you deserve a week off. :D
    heheheheh.............

i deserve a month off....with pay....hehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    The agency I work for is closed between Christmas and New Years, not that it matter to me because my last day is Dec 21st. A few other agencies that I have worked for closed for that week. My mother's company is also closed between Christmas and New Years.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • I say Merry Christmas, and I also wish my Jewish friends a Happy Hanukkah. That way, everyone's happy. I've been known to send Festivus greetings, too. ;)
  • So everyone at 7-11 takes a week off at Christmas? Are you?

Not 7-11, God forbid closing the store on Christmas day, or even for a couple :rolleyes: Whatever though it's slow and I get double time for sitting around listening to music. I guess now that I think of it, malls and shit are open, but I wasn't thinking of shops that are closed for a more than the 25th.

My family, and friend's families always had at least a couple days if not more off during Christmas week. I think it depends on what day of the week Christmas is. The people in the store I talk to have various jobs (some teachers), and as far as I've heard, most are off the whole week of Christmas (one regular, is off until January 2nd). Never asked if they were taking the time off or if their work was closed though.
  • mammasan wrote:
    The agency I work for is closed between Christmas and New Years, not that it matter to me because my last day is Dec 21st. A few other agencies that I have worked for closed for that week. My mother's company is also closed between Christmas and New Years.

Are they hiring copywriters? ;)

(btw...I don't remember if I posted in your thread, but I'm really sorry about your job situation. I hope you don't view the above as insensitive!)
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    i say "merry christmas"

and i dont give a flying fuck who i offend.......

Cosmo wrote:
    Again... because NO ONE WILL GET OFFENDED.

Exactly.

And if anyone does get offended, fuck them, they need to grow up and stop being crybabies.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Cosmo wrote:
    do they actually say, "I'm offended that you said, 'Merry Christmas'."... or just give you the typical, "Bah... Humbug" type of response?
    I used to work at a 7-11. My guess is that they are assholes and it wouldn't matter what you said to them. They think you are a nobody. I used to run into assholes all night when I worked there.
    I've never gotten the "I'm offended" approach, but I've gotten several ethnocentric attitudes ("fuck you, I don't celebrate Christams" type stuff). I always figured it was implied.
  • mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Are they hiring copywriters? ;)

(btw...I don't remember if I posted in your thread, but I'm really sorry about your job situation. I hope you don't view the above as insensitive!)

I could ask if they are. No worries I didn't view it that way.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Well Ireland is predominantly Catholic so we all say Happy Christmas, but if a jew passed by and said Happy Channukah I wouldn't be offended. The thought behind the greeting is one of peace and happiness, it doesn't matter what is said. If people get offended when I say happy Christmas to them they're just grumpy old pricks who don't deserved my cheerful attempt at friendliness.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I work with Jehovah's Witnesses, so I do not say merry christmas or happy holidays to them.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    I say "Merry Christmas" for a couple of reasons:

1) I only greet somebody like that if I know them, and everybody I know celebrates Christmas in some way, whether it's for secular or religious purposes.

2) I don't know anybody who is offended by the term "Merry Christmas".
    2a) If I did know somebody who was offended by me giving them a pleasant greeting based on a national holiday, that person could fuck off. ;)
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    It depends on what I am trying to say. If I am trying to cover Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years, then I will say "Happy Holidays." If I am focusing in on 1 particular holiday, I will say "Happy Thanksgiving" or "Merry Christmas" or "Happy New Year."
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I usually just say 'fuck you asshole,' but then again i'm from New York..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Really when you wish someone a Merry Christmas...you are wishing them a good day. Who could get mad at that?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    timroth wrote:
    This artice got me thinking.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071210/tuk-put-christ-back-into-christmas-6323e80_1.html

I say Merry Christmas without thinking twice about it. I find it hard to believe that people could take offence by it.

I think its wrong that this is now the "holiday" season instead of the Christmas season.

I find it wrong kids cant celebrate Christmas in public schools.

I find it wrong that if a few people complain we change our traditions.

Sorry for my rant.

it IS the holiday season. there are like 9 holidays in december, all the major religions have one.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I'm a Merry Christmas kinda girl. I don't usually say it to strangers uless they say it to me first. I did accidently tell my muslim friend merry Christmas once. She just laughed at me. I think the people that do get offended are the people that get offended about anything. Screw em!!
  • Fuck the ACLU.

And Merry Christmas. :)
    FTP
  • PJGARDEN wrote:
    I'm a Merry Christmas kinda girl. I don't usually say it to strangers uless they say it to me first. I did accidently tell my muslim friend merry Christmas once. She just laughed at me. I think the people that do get offended are the people that get offended about anything. Screw em!!

my muslim friends celebrate christmas. but they're about as muslim as I am catholic. you know, just kind of by tradition only.
  • Cosmo wrote:
    Who do you actually KNOW of that gets offended by a 'Merry Christmas' greeting?
    Yeah... NO ONE.
    There is NO WAR ON CHRISTMAS. The retailers started using 'Happy Holidays' to attach to their sales period.
    Why?
    Dollars. Jewish dollars and Muslim dollars and Hindu dollars.
    The Right Wing Conservatives (such as Falwell and Robertson) took this as an insult. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO ARE OFFENDED. Not by 'Merry Christmas', but by 'Happy Holidays'. Their mouthpieces (FOX News) spread the rumour and Americans ate it up.
    And here's a simple answer... have your kids celebrate Christmas at your Church... and let the Jewish kids celebrate Channukah at their Temples and the Muslims at thie Mosques. School is supposed to be about education and relationships with other kids, not for imposed religious belief or traditions.
    The spirit of Christmas (traditions taken from ancient Pagen rituals) is for everyone.

these are my feelings on the topic as well. keep religion - including holidays - out of public schools.

and yes, i say 'happy holidays' when i am unsure.....or the approriate holiday wishes if i DO know what, if any, holiday one celebrates. christmas is NOT the only holiday being celebrated this time of year. hell, it's not even the most 'important' holiday on the relgious observant christian calendar...that would be easter. christmas is simply the most festive/gift-giving.....as is most of the religious holidays this time of year.

btw no one 'celebrates' christmas if they are not practicing christians/celebrating the birth of jesus. they may put up a tree, follow some traditions, but it's all just fun and games.....not a TRUE celebration of the actual holiday. christmas IS a celebration of christ's birth...period. and i say this as someone who does follow the tradtions of christmas, but yea...does not truly celebrate as i am a lapsed catholic. however, i do enjoy the secular side of it, and sure...the spirit of the season/giving...so it's all good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• danny72688 wrote:
    I've never gotten the "I'm offended" approach, but I've gotten several ethnocentric attitudes ("fuck you, I don't celebrate Christams" type stuff). I always figured it was implied.

Isn't it a bit ethnocentric of you to assume that everyone wants to be told Merry Christmas?
  • Isn't it a bit ethnocentric of you to assume that everyone wants to be told Merry Christmas?

haha yeah I thought this comment was a little backwards too. that's not really what ethnocentric means... :).