Options

~Earth hour campaign~

illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
edited March 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
World cities embrace Earth Hour

Last year Sydney, this year the world.

Twenty-four cities will take part next month in the Earth Hour climate change initiative pioneered by Sydney.

More than two million Sydney residents turned off lights and appliances for one hour during the event in March last year, in a communal effort to reduce the city's greenhouse gas emissions.

This year, tens of millions will be taking the same step.

Eight cities - Atlanta, San Francisco, Phoenix, Bangkok, Ottawa, Vancouver, Montreal and Dublin - joined the Earth Hour movement this week.

On Saturday March 29, at 8pm local time, the lights will go out for one hour in all these cities, as well as Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane, Adelaide, Copenhagen, Aarhus, Aalborg, Odense, Manila, Suva, Chicago, Tel Aviv, Toronto and Christchurch.

The event is the highlight of Earth Hour's campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take simple steps to cut their greenhouse gas emissions.

"Climate change is a truly global issue and people around the world are demanding action," Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley said.

"We're delighted there has been so much interest from major cities around the world.

"Last year we were incredibly excited that more than two million people in Sydney took part in Earth Hour. If we see the same participation levels around the globe that we did in Sydney, then we can anticipate more than 30 million people involved."

Mr Ridley said he was hoping even more cities would take up the challenge.

Dublin Lord Mayor Paddy Bourke said in a statement issued by Earth Hour: "This campaign is important and everyone from citizens up to government has a duty to do what they can against global warming.

"It is up to us all to do what we can to reduce our CO2 emissions. Through one simple action, turning off our lights for an hour, we can deliver a powerful message about the need for action."

Earth Hour is an initiative of the global conservation organisation WWF.

"Turning the lights off for Earth Hour is a great first step, but if you really want to see a difference, then make Earth Hour part of your everyday life," the Earth Hour website (http://www.earthhour.org) says.

"Simple things like turning off appliances while not in use and switching your light globes to energy efficient bulbs, will all help us reach our goal of reducing our annual emissions by five per cent.

"Even something as simple as turning out lights when you're not in a room and switching to cleaner sources of electricity, like green power, make a big difference."

March 29... :) hope many of you take part
wah
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    i've signed up
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    How cool, I'll do it.

Unless the East Coast leg of Ed's solo tour goes on sale at that time :D
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    meme wrote:
    Unless the East Coast leg of Ed's solo tour goes on sale at that time :D

HAHA nooo!! they won't clash with Earth Hour.. !!
    wah
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    World cities embrace Earth Hour

Last year Sydney, this year the world.

Twenty-four cities will take part next month in the Earth Hour climate change initiative pioneered by Sydney.

More than two million Sydney residents turned off lights and appliances for one hour during the event in March last year, in a communal effort to reduce the city's greenhouse gas emissions.

This year, tens of millions will be taking the same step.

Eight cities - Atlanta, San Francisco, Phoenix, Bangkok, Ottawa, Vancouver, Montreal and Dublin - joined the Earth Hour movement this week.

On Saturday March 29, at 8pm local time, the lights will go out for one hour in all these cities, as well as Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane, Adelaide, Copenhagen, Aarhus, Aalborg, Odense, Manila, Suva, Chicago, Tel Aviv, Toronto and Christchurch.

The event is the highlight of Earth Hour's campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take simple steps to cut their greenhouse gas emissions.

"Climate change is a truly global issue and people around the world are demanding action," Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley said.

"We're delighted there has been so much interest from major cities around the world.

"Last year we were incredibly excited that more than two million people in Sydney took part in Earth Hour. If we see the same participation levels around the globe that we did in Sydney, then we can anticipate more than 30 million people involved."

Mr Ridley said he was hoping even more cities would take up the challenge.

Dublin Lord Mayor Paddy Bourke said in a statement issued by Earth Hour: "This campaign is important and everyone from citizens up to government has a duty to do what they can against global warming.

"It is up to us all to do what we can to reduce our CO2 emissions. Through one simple action, turning off our lights for an hour, we can deliver a powerful message about the need for action."

Earth Hour is an initiative of the global conservation organisation WWF.

"Turning the lights off for Earth Hour is a great first step, but if you really want to see a difference, then make Earth Hour part of your everyday life," the Earth Hour website (http://www.earthhour.org) says.

"Simple things like turning off appliances while not in use and switching your light globes to energy efficient bulbs, will all help us reach our goal of reducing our annual emissions by five per cent.

"Even something as simple as turning out lights when you're not in a room and switching to cleaner sources of electricity, like green power, make a big difference."

March 29... :) hope many of you take part
    Pioneered in Sydney.... it must be GREAT!! :)

pity it's being pushed by an Adelaidian :p mwahahaha
  • Options
    threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    in a show of support i will be turning on all the lights at my house that night.
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Options
    vital5 wrote:
    Pioneered in Sydney.... it must be GREAT!! :)

pity it's being pushed by an Adelaidian :p mwahahaha

that's 'cos you Sydney folk are too lazy ;) or too busy doing something in your much more exciting town :p
    wah
  • Options
    in a show of support i will be turning on all the lights at my house that night.

:eek: FISHY!! :eek:

if they're all fluorescent bulbs go crazy :D
    wah
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    this is pretty cool. Will chicago REALLY turn off all the lights??!!! :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    extremely unlikely :( but it's great to see some major cities 'signed up'

hope this means promotion of some sort... anyone living in one of these cities seen/heard anything?

oh yeh and... :eek:

:D
    wah
  • Options
    oh yeh and... :eek:

:D
    im gladd u added that. your posting seemed a little naked without it!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    im gladd u added that. your posting seemed a little naked without it!!!

a post without :eek: is like a pearl jam concert without the flow, yes? :eek:
    wah
  • Options
    :eek: FISHY!! :eek:

if they're all fluorescent bulbs go crazy :D

nope.

will it also help if i go start my car and leave it running all night?
  • Options
    a post without :eek: is like a pearl jam concert without the flow, yes? :eek:

YES!!! that is absolutely correct!!!!

• Options
    nope.

will it also help if i go start my car and leave it running all night?

i'm heading over and cutting the power to your street.. :eek: and i'l lthink ofa car solution soon

i'll find the pink tools and accessories in your shed to do this huh?
    wah
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    YES!!! that is absolutely correct!!!!

YES! :D :eek: :D

ok back on topic... will be bumping this so.. yeh.. :p
    wah
  • Options
    sorry but..

bump :)
    wah
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I just learned of this....and I'm having friends over for a little candle light party!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    I just learned of this....and I'm having friends over for a little candle light party!

oxc

YES... awesome idea:)
    wah
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    YES... awesome idea:)

I am also going to Email a link to all my friends and family....finally a good Email!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    I am also going to Email a link to all my friends and family....finally a good Email!

oxc

ohhh you rock :D
    wah
  • Options
    ringoringo Posts: 504
    PJaddicted wrote:

oxc

And before you turn the lights back on check out unscrewamerica.org
    d'oh
  • Options
    ringo wrote:
    And before you turn the lights back on check out unscrewamerica.org

!!!!!!!!!!

wah
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    !!!!!!!!!!

Hey Miss Pants!

On my local news today they had a blip about this and I thought of you! :D Wonder what they will do at V Festival? :eek:
  • Options
    Hey Miss Pants!

On my local news today they had a blip about this and I thought of you! :D Wonder what they will do at V Festival? :eek:

heeeey Jen, cool! only an hour to go for me :D

V Festival.. uh oh :eek:

fire ;)
    wah
  • Options
    Sloth2Sloth2 Posts: 277
    I actually opposed earth hour (not cos I hate Mother Nature) but because I think it's a waste of time.

The majority of people do it not because they care or seek to learn but because they want the warm and fuzzies that goes with it. Then tomorrow Ma Pa and their 2.4 kids will jump in a 4WD and head down to the beach, park on the sand and probably have been in a rush and left the lights on.

If it was going to achieve anything Actual power plants would have agreed to wind down supply to the grid.

As it is power companies may have to supply more to the grid because of the surge of a unified switch off.

It will cost more to switch off than to have all lights blazing. Which i Chose to do to highlight the stunt that is earth hour
    "I hope they feed you in jail" - Ed V to a stage intruder 18/02/2003 Melbourne.

High Above
    i'll break the law
    if it's illegal to be in love
    leave the hatred on the cross
  • Options
    Sloth2 wrote:
    I actually opposed earth hour (not cos I hate Mother Nature) but because I think it's a waste of time.

The majority of people do it not because they care or seek to learn but because they want the warm and fuzzies that goes with it. Then tomorrow Ma Pa and their 2.4 kids will jump in a 4WD and head down to the beach, park on the sand and probably have been in a rush and left the lights on.

If it was going to achieve anything Actual power plants would have agreed to wind down supply to the grid.

As it is power companies may have to supply more to the grid because of the surge of a unified switch off.

It will cost more to switch off than to have all lights blazing. Which i Chose to do to highlight the stunt that is earth hour

here here.

Fuck The Earth!

Al Gore is a dirty fucking liar anyway.
  • Options
    Sloth2Sloth2 Posts: 277
    here here.

Fuck The Earth!

Al Gore is a dirty fucking lier anyway.

Apparently he is.....

I genuinely (apart form the last hour) do care for the environment. I no longer drive a car and am involved in the sustainability program at my work.

But Earth Hour will not solve/help any situation. It will be forgotten in a few weeks and people will go back to screwing things up.

A pointless self gratifying exercise doing naff all to help the environment
    "I hope they feed you in jail" - Ed V to a stage intruder 18/02/2003 Melbourne.

High Above
    i'll break the law
    if it's illegal to be in love
    leave the hatred on the cross
  • Options
    what's wrong with a little awareness and maybe drilling into a few peoples minds that it's not so damn hard to leave some lights off for an hour... or extended periods...

thanks
    wah
  • Options
    I'm gonna burn some tires in my backyard to celebrate...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    i just saw pictures of chicago during earth hour and dammit i fell in love with that place all OVER again!!!! it was so cool to see so many people participated.