tell me off for $1.00 . . .

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
was on a placard outside of the NY public library, by a man i would assume is homeless and/or in need. i thought it was a fun spin on begging, anyway...

edited out the "?" in the middle of my sentence for dunky. ;)
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    if only..
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Slip Kid wrote:
    if only..

go for it.
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    gotta love NYC

my favorite is the guy on 87 during rush hour with the sign

"why lie?"
    "need cash for beer, weed and hookers"
    "please help"

:D
    Get_Right wrote:
    gotta love NYC

"why lie?"
    "please help"

indeed!

never seen him, this guy gave me a good :D too.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    was on a placard outside of the NY public library, by a man i would assume? is homeless and/or in need. i thought it was a fun spin on begging, anyway...

Dude, the same exact thing happened to me in NYC about 5 years ago. I told him right off too. called him a scumbag and suggested he get a job rather than having people tell him off. he charged me $2 to do it.....so I guess prices have dropped in the Homeless Tell Me Off business
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Dude, the same exact thing happened to me in NYC about 5 years ago. I told him right off too. called him a scumbag and suggested he get a job rather than having people tell him off. he charged me $2 to do it.....so I guess prices have dropped in the Homeless Tell Me Off business

maybe b/c you said TWO things:

1. scumbag
    2. get a job

both could be considered being 'told off.' :p

i walk around the library and bryant park on a daily basis...first time i've ever encountered the guy.....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    maybe b/c you said TWO things:

1. scumbag
    2. get a job

both could be considered being 'told off.' :p

i walk around the library and bryant park on a daily basis...first time i've ever encountered the guy.....

well what the hell man? I handed the man my $2 and I let him have it. my friend did it twice. the guy made out with $6.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    well what the hell man? I handed the man my $2 and I let him have it. my friend did it twice. the guy made out with $6.

hope you thanked him too.
    almost like anger management therapy. get it all out of your system. ;)

me....i laughed!
    i enjoyed his inventiveness.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    was on a placard outside of the NY public library, by a man i would assume? is homeless and/or in need. i thought it was a fun spin on begging, anyway...

I love it! This might be my summer job! ;):D
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408

Think about what he's doing though!! :eek:

He's giving people the opportunity to verbally abuse him in exchange for a dollar! He doesn't seem to put much value on his feelings if he's willing to keep selling them for ONE dollar. yikes!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:

He's giving people the opportunity to verbally abuse him in exchange for a dollar! He doesn't seem to put much value on his feelings if he's willing to keep selling them for ONE dollar. yikes!!

are you serious?
    :p

obviously, if a RANDOM stranger verbally abused you for NO reason whatsoever...and then paid you a dollar for the privilege, that you actually REQUESTED.......? cmon. firstly, i highly doubt most even do so...do as i did and got a good chuckle. no, i didn't give him any $$$ b/c i rarely do give any - besides i had no $$$ on me.....just a quick stroll from work, sans purse. and i would think most who do give him $$$ do so withOUT the verbal abuse...but even if they did...the whole scene would play out as comical to all involved/witnessing it i'd imagine. i don't think his *feelings* factor in at all, but that's just me.......:)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    justam wrote:

Or, he just doesn't give a fuck what other people think and say. I'm considering a career change... I mean hell, even if a person could find the right button to get me pissed, I'd just punch them in the throat and give them their dollar back.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    are you serious?

obviously, if a RANDOM stranger verbally abused you for NO reason whatsoever...and then paid you a dollar for the privilege, that you actually REQUESTED.......? cmon. firstly, i highly doubt most even do so...do as i did and got a good chuckle. no, i didn't give him any $$$ b/c i rarely do give any - besides i had no $$$ on me.....just a quick stroll from work, sans purse. and i would think most who do give him $$$ do so withOUT the verbal abuse...but even if they did...the whole scene would play out as comical to all involved/witnessing it i'd imagine. i don't think his *feelings* factor in at all, but that's just me.......:)

I like to think about things though. Instead of just living in the superficial air. Maybe that DOES make me too serious.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    are you serious?

If I gave him a 20, do you think I could hire him for a half hour. I have a lot of grievances with a lot of people and could use a nice therapeutic surrogate ... lol. It would be a Festivus Miracle for me in the Spring. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

how could you tell it was a man? what a massive generalisation :p

mind you if it was a woman the sign would be written in really big bubbly writing with a pink marker..

so aye, it was a guy
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,441
    I suppose the bum puts up with alot of sh*t.
    justam wrote:
    I like to think about things though. Instead of just living in the superficial air. Maybe that DOES make me too serious.

i enjoy thinking about things as well....just not this particular thing. :p i take it at face value. i am unsure what you mean by 'superficial air' though? wouldn't say it makes you too serious....i just personally think in this instance, might be reading too much into things? the man is begging, so if anything...i'd say his self-respect is more in danger tahn his 'feelings'...i don't think he's too concerned about either, more about getting $$4 for food, drink or whatever else he wants. instincts of survival far outweigh feelings for most, methinks.

and dunk....huh? my assumption is on his being homeless or in need....not on his gender. no questions there. :p

i'll pay a buck to stop seeing people - men AND women - spitting in the streets! :eek: wtf?! disgusting...and yes, i am seeing more and more women doing so nowadays.......gross!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    i
    i'll pay a buck to stop seeing people - men AND women - spitting in the streets! :eek: wtf?! disgusting...and yes, i am seeing more and more women doing so nowadays.......gross!

Dont ever go to china, spitting is the national pastime! Even on the rug.
    Get_Right wrote:
    Dont ever go to china, spitting is the national pastime! Even on the rug.

so i've heard!
    :eek:

i'm all for experiencing cultural differences but, yea......ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

just went past the park again, dude isn't there today. eh well. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    here's your dollar.

your breasts are uneven.
    brain of c wrote:
    here's your dollar.

your breasts are uneven.

:eek:

*closes blinds*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

i enjoy thinking about things as well....just not this particular thing. :p i take it at face value. i am unsure what you mean by 'superficial air' though? wouldn't say it makes you too serious....

i just personally think in this instance, might be reading too much into things? the man is begging, so if anything...i'd say his self-respect is more in danger tahn his 'feelings'...i don't think he's too concerned about either, more about getting $$4 for food, drink or whatever else he wants. instincts of survival far outweigh feelings for most, methinks.

Well sweetie-"D", I was just thinking about the idea in general. An exchange of $1 for abuse. Ugh. :p

I realize it's his choice in this case...but then I got to thinking...maybe he's SO poor that he has nothing else to sell? That's the sad part.

I saw the laughter over it and I thought *record scratch sound* "Wait a minute...is it really funny?! It's not!!" :eek:

I don't know. I think if someone has gotten to the point where begging seems like a good idea, the person is vulnerable to being treated as a non-human. And how must that feel? Do they really have a thick enough skin to handle verbal abuse? It's not like they can laugh it off. They are BEGGING. They wear the meek mask and ask for money.

*sigh* There I go being too serious again. :(
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    and dunk....huh? my assumption is on his being homeless or in need....not on his gender. no questions there. :p

but .. but.. but...
    tell me off for $1.00 was on a placard outside of the NY public library, by a man i would assume?

:confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    Get_Right wrote:
    gotta love NYC

"why lie?"
    "please help"

hahaha I have seen him - hysterical!!!!!!!!!
    justam wrote:
    Well sweetie-"D", I was just thinking about the idea in general. An exchange of $1 for abuse. Ugh.

I realize it's his choice in this case...but then I got to thinking...maybe he's SO poor that he has nothing else to sell? That's the sad part.

I saw the laughter over it and I thought *record scratch sound* "Wait a minute...is it really funny?! It's not!!"

I don't know. I think if someone has gotten to the point where begging seems like a good idea, the person is vulnerable to being treated as a non-human. And how must that feel? Do they really have a thick enough skin to handle verbal abuse? It's not like they can laugh it off. They are BEGGING. They wear the meek mask and ask for money.

*sigh* There I go being too serious again.

i get it. :)
    and if i were really to get into a *serious* convo about the whole topic...i would get into how, more than likely, that has a lot more to do with you *projecting* thoughts...as someone who IS well-fed/housed....than what HE more than likely was/is thinking/feeling in behaving in such a way.

however, i started this thread in FUN...b/c it did make me LAUGH! and personally, i think - no way of knowing without asking him, and he'd probably charge me for the info ;) - laughter was his intended reaction to it.

i can be serious about a LOT of things....and being homeless, certainly. however, my focus was not on the WHYs of his begging...but the HOWs...and how fun/inventive it was/is. for that i give the man kudos. that was all.

enjoy being serious tho.......:D haha.

dunkman wrote:
    :confused:

that might be b/c i used a ? in the middle of my thought/sentence.

by a man i would assume? is homeless and/or in need.
    remove the ? and therya go.

i do that from time to time...especially when thinking back on time periods...such as:

i think? it occurred 2-3 years ago...for example.

bad habit to get into i guess.

between you and justam....i'll take my humor elsewhere. :o hahaha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

between you and justam....i'll take my humor elsewhere. :o hahaha.

Then tell me a joke. I like to laugh at funny stuff. :D:D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    .....so I guess prices have dropped in the Homeless Tell Me Off business

Funniest thing I've heard all day! :D
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

justam wrote:
    Then tell me a joke. I like to laugh at funny stuff. :D:D

*rimshot*
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

*rimshot*

I was hoping you'd come back with a good joke!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • SpreadtheJAMSpreadtheJAM Posts: 344
    I saw that sign outside of penn station a while ago except the guy had the audacity to ask for two dollars. Anyway i walk by, give the sign a double take, turn around and start talking to the guy. Gave him five bucks just for the creativity of the sign, and i never give money on the streets...Never told him off though.
    BORGATA>VIC