Options

atonement

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone see it?

hubby and i are going to see it later when he gets home from work. haven't read much/any comments about it here.....no threads...so just curious. it seems to have gotten overall fairly good critical comments. i don't expect to be 'wowed'.....it seems your typical war/love story, but that's a-ok...even if typical, they can be quite good.

so share comments if you've seen it!
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    It's very much like the book. Although Keira Knightly did a good job of acting, the people who played Brionny stole the stage. James McAvoy was very good, too, but how can Tom LeFroy not be good.

It's amazing how the tone mirrors the book to a T. The author created a sense of summer dragging in the book. I think that was intentional to set the stage for machinations of the imagination, and it's mirrored in the movie.

I tried to reread the book, but that summer scene just bores me even though well written. I wouldn't see the movie again, but I don't regret going the first time. It was well done.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    remember when Elaine didn't like the English patient? that is sort of how I feel about these types of movies...
  • Options
    I've heard from everyone that it's a good film, and I will see it eventually. But let's just say the book did not whet my appetite - I really hate McEwan's writing style.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    i never read the book...so i am safe from that perspective.

and i LOVE the english patient....part of my dvd collection, seen it numerous times, and no...never read that book either. :p i really was never one for contemporary fiction until just recently, and even now, not so much.

anyhooo.........hope it's good and will share my thoughts on it afterwards! :)

i haven't spent time on the boards on a weekend in a good long while, it's been fun...but now time to dash! enjoy the rest of your sunday all, and see you around for my regularly scheduled posts during working hours, M-F. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I've heard from everyone that it's a good film, and I will see it eventually. But let's just say the book did not whet my appetite - I really hate McEwan's writing style.

I liked the book, it was the 2nd McEwan book I have read, after reading Saturday, and while it was slow in the 1st 100 pages, like it was when reading Saturday, I couldn't put the last half of the book down, and really enjoyed the book as a whole.

I may go see this movie in the theatre, but if not, I will rent it
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    Ugh... save your money. Better yet, paint a room and watch it dry.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I want to see this.

Have not made it to the theatre for it yet though.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Ugh... save your money. Better yet, paint a room and watch it dry.

hahahahahaha. while i'd not go THAT far, you're not that far off. definitely had promising moments, but overall...rather lacking? so a bit disappointing. good story premise too, but certain scenes just left me thinking....why is this happening, taking so long? and for the record, i do NOT have a problem with 'slow' movies, if it serves the film.

also, couple this with a fire scare in the middle of the flick, standing out on the cold rain for 20 minutes...and also, the film soundtrack was played so low on the dialogue end that my ears actually feel 'strained' for trying to listen. i WILL rent it when out on dvd, give it another go....but yea....not 'great' by any stretch imo. eh well.......
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...