home security systems - suggestions?

JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
edited February 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
i own a townhouse/condo and want to install a home security system. any ideas? a neighbor suggested laser shield (wireless motion sensors) but someone else suggested adt. then there's brinks.

i have two cats and a dog, so i'm not sure about the motion sensors, eventhough i know they have system enhancements to let the system "know" that it is a 10 pound cat or 30 pound dog and not an intruder.

who has what and what are the pros/cons?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I would maybe think of upgrading the dog before fitting a security system.
    We had an alarm system and had 2 attempted break ins in our first year at our present address. Since getting the dog 4 years ago, we haven't had a problem. Both of our neighbours have been burgled in that time and neither have a dog.
    I know it's not conclusive, but the junkie scumbags around here will take a chance with an alarm but don't fancy taking on a dog.
    If I was on a budget, I would spend the money on the best door and window locks I could afford before investing in an alarm system. If money is no object, I would get all your doors and windows alarmed and get security lights fitted outside. From experience motion sensers seem to be more trouble than they are worth.
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    JSBE wrote:
    i own a townhouse/condo and want to install a home security system. any ideas? a neighbor suggested laser shield (wireless motion sensors) but someone else suggested adt. then there's brinks.

i have two cats and a dog, so i'm not sure about the motion sensors, eventhough i know they have system enhancements to let the system "know" that it is a 10 pound cat or 30 pound dog and not an intruder.

who has what and what are the pros/cons?

I have a Brinks system in my home and my PJ House. I have 3 door sensors for the main entrances and a motion sensor in the house. For my PJ house, I have motion sensors in all four corners so doesnt matter where you come in, it will go off. The sensors in the house are set to only pick up things bigger than 30lbs as you said. I have 3 small dogs and have never had a problem with it going off. It has been a great system so far and I have not had any probs. I pay $30 a month for monitoring and am quite happy. :) Good luck.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    if you talk to the cops - they'll all say to get a dog ...
  • Fender_Man wrote:
    If I was on a budget, I would spend the money on the best door and window locks I could afford before investing in an alarm system. If money is no object, I would get all your doors and windows alarmed and get security lights fitted outside. From experience motion sensers seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

although motion lights can be a hassle, they are a good defense. Especially if they are hooked up to some big-ass flood lights. As long as the lights dont shine in your room, no big deal.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,076
    polaris wrote:
    if you talk to the cops - they'll all say to get a dog ...

i have a dog and he barks his ass off when anyone comes near the house - me included (obviously just happy to see me). someone can't walk by our unit to get the mail or take out the trash and he's barking.

i feel comfortable in my place, the security system is more for peace of mind for my freaked out fiancee.
    I have a Brinks system in my home and my PJ House. I have 3 door sensors for the main entrances and a motion sensor in the house. For my PJ house, I have motion sensors in all four corners so doesnt matter where you come in, it will go off. The sensors in the house are set to only pick up things bigger than 30lbs as you said. I have 3 small dogs and have never had a problem with it going off. It has been a great system so far and I have not had any probs. I pay $30 a month for monitoring and am quite happy. :) Good luck.

thanks for the info. i have adt and brinks coming out for free a walk-through and explanation just so i...er, she can get a better sense of what they offer and how everything works, so she can feel safe at home.
  • JSBE wrote:
    thanks for the info. i have adt and brinks coming out for free a walk-through and explanation just so i...er, she can get a better sense of what they offer and how everything works, so she can feel safe at home.

Be careful. I have adt and they are good. BUT, the sales guy is very pushy.
    Don't sign anything until you meet with both.
    They try to sell you on things you do not need.
    I will say though that the key pad at the door and in the bed room is nice.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    DSC09576.jpg

Get a Doberman Pinscher....115 pounds of solid muscle!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
    Be careful. I have adt and they are good. BUT, the sales guy is very pushy.
    Don't sign anything until you meet with both.
    They try to sell you on things you do not need.
    I will say though that the key pad at the door and in the bed room is nice.

i'm fully expecting either of them (or both) to try and sell me anything and everything they offer.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    German Shepard. He barks at people who are walking on the sidewalk across the street, without even looking through the window. AND Hes my buddy :D
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • StellyStelly Posts: 170
    I have a Guardian System at my house. No problems...I am happy with it. We have contact sensons on all doors, as well as motion sensors inside.

If you are concerned about the motion sensors, there are multiple settings so you won't set the motions sensors when you are in the house. We only use the motion sensors when we are not home.

We have 3 keypads - one by our front door, one by our door to the garage (which is in the basement), and one in our master bedroom.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    edited October 2019
    What's everyone using these days? The wife has been bugging me to get one. Apparently my old high school Easton bat under the bed isn't enough security for her.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    cheapest solution is to hang a confederate flag in your front window. 
  • What's everyone using these days? The wife has been bugging me to get one. Apparently my old high school Easton bat under the bed isn't enough security for her.
    I have a personalized L.Slugger under my bed along with a Just.In.Case tonfa.

Changed from ADT (sucked fucking balls) to a Vivint system a few years back.  (Full disclosure -- I was incensed at my ADT system malfunctioning (again) and put my fist into the main control panel...so I sorta had to switch.  The Vivint installer laughed really hard at that, but said he had actually seen that happen before.)
    Everything is connected to video in front/back of house...my nest attaches to it so I can control thermo and cameras/doorbell/past event video from anywhere I can connect to the cloud.  It is only $15 more p/m than the shitty ADT system. 
    I love it.
    Also put motion detected floods all around the house and pool area to make my wife more comfortable since I travel a lot.
    She has a remote by the bed which she can do fire/police/alarm from.
    Also gave her a sweet mace "gun" which would make it pretty much impossible to miss if an intruder did get in and she met him at the top of the stairs.  (Which has a gate still in place from the kiddo so the person would be slowed already even if they chose to ignore the alarm & they would get an awesome shot of pepper in the face.)
    Will not keep a gun in the house - nobody other than me knows anything about them.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Tons of lights.  Cameras.  Security system and guns.  

What's everyone using these days? The wife has been bugging me to get one. Apparently my old high school Easton bat under the bed isn't enough security for her.

Changed from ADT (sucked fucking balls) to a Vivint system a few years back.  (Full disclosure -- I was incensed at my ADT system malfunctioning (again) and put my fist into the main control panel...so I sorta had to switch.  The Vivint installer laughed really hard at that, but said he had actually seen that happen before.)
    Everything is connected to video in front/back of house...my nest attaches to it so I can control thermo and cameras/doorbell/past event video from anywhere I can connect to the cloud.  It is only $15 more p/m than the shitty ADT system. 
    I love it.
    Also put motion detected floods all around the house and pool area to make my wife more comfortable since I travel a lot.
    Also gave her a sweet mace "gun" which would make it pretty much impossible to miss if an intruder did get in and she met him at the top of the stairs.  (Which has a gate still in place from the kiddo so the person would be slowed already even if they chose to ignore the alarm & they would get an awesome shot of pepper in the face.)
    Will not keep a gun in the house - nobody other than me knows anything about them.
    Did the motion lights come with the security plan or is that something else?
    www.myspace.com
  • I have a cricket bat and a metal pole by my bed.
    Home invasions have become a regular occurrence in my city in the past two or so years.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Festivus year round at Thoughs_Arrive's abode!
    www.myspace.com
  • Festivus year round at Thoughs_Arrive's abode!
    I'd like to air my grievances about home invaders.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

• Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,746
    couple signs from an alarm company can be enough in some places....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited October 2019
    HAL 9000
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,672
    Pit Bull
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • BLACK35 said:
    Pit Bull
    That guy's music would keep most home invaders/burglars away
  • What's everyone using these days? The wife has been bugging me to get one. Apparently my old high school Easton bat under the bed isn't enough security for her.

I love it.
    Did the motion lights come with the security plan or is that something else?
    Nah I had my electrician put those in after I got them at home Depot 
    The company probably would have, but charged me two times as much.

• mickeyrat said:
    couple signs from an alarm company can be enough in some places....
    I have a vivant or adp sticker in every ground floor window where I think people might prowl, and a sign at each area someone might approach.
    We live in a nice area but it is a small amount to pay altogether for her piece of mind.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958

People can not even park in front of my house without the dogs letting me know someone is there.  Was very comforting when the husband was deployed overseas for 13 months.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited October 2019
    We have cameras and a sign. It was handy when trying to figure out whether it was a neighbor or the city who left a reminder to us that we put our trash cans out a day early. :angry:

Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Jason P said:
    cheapest solution is to hang a confederate flag in your front window. 
    Ha!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited October 2019
    My parents' method has always worked really well: Make it look like you're home and like you have a mean dog. Keep a radio on a pretty high volume when you're out, keep a couple or lights on (ideally, have them on programmable smart plugs, so they turn on and off randomly, and all at different times) ... Also just post a scary Beware of Dog sign where it's visible, and also on any back doors. You don't even have to actually have a dog. It also helps to have visible but fake security cameras. They are cheap and still work as a deterrent.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata