Midwest America?

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Why are these states called the midwestern states? They're actually the central US states and some are even MUCH closer to the East :confused: I don't get it.
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Why are these states called the midwestern states? They're actually the central US states and some are even MUCH closer to the East :confused: I don't get it.

It's kind of like going around your ass to get to your elbow I think. :D

(has something to do with the origin of the country being in the east and then expanding west. then again, I don't know a damn thing about this.)
    I love to turn you on
  • It's kind of like going around your ass to get to your elbow I think. :D

(has something to do with the origin of the country being in the east and then expanding west. then again, I don't know a damn thing about this.)

I think that's the ticket- at one point the midwestern states were actually the "west"
  • It's kind of like going around your ass to get to your elbow I think. :D

:D:confused: it doesn't make ANY sense :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I think that's the ticket- at one point the midwestern states were actually the "west"
    hmmm... ahhh... ok!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

it got that moniker when america was a vastly different place. the west was relatively sparse and disorganized. the midwest had already been settled. the west was considered wild. but they were all more rural than the very settled and cosmopolitan east. so the midwest became kind of quaint and settled portion of the western us (which was another world from the east coast), and it was slightly different from the unsettled "wild" west. if you left the east coast, you either struck out for the wild west and just went west for adventure, or you went to settle in the middle west and find your niche.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    :D:confused: it doesn't make ANY sense :D

SD got it right

there was a time when that WAS the middle of the country, and WEST of the east coast where most people lived

hence mid west
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Maybe when the were first being added to the United States they were the western states and the name stuck? Just a thought..

Probably better than being called the Mid-east. :p
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    I live in Michigan and work for a company based in New Hampshire -- I once said to someone at our offices that I was from the midwest and they felt that Michigan was not??? They said that the only thing about me that was midwestern was my accent?? Whatever...always thought that was odd.

One other thing I think is odd is how people from the US are referred to as Americans. Technically yes, but so are people from Canada - Yet they are referred to as Canadiens and people from the states are Americans?
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    Get_Right wrote:
    SD got it right

there was a time when that WAS the middle of the country, and WEST of the east coast where most people lived

hence mid west

YES!!!!

Thank you for playing!!! And for the second place winner we have a year's supply of turtle wax and a jar of lizard testicles!!! YEA!!!! :D
    I love to turn you on
    dirt wrote:
    I live in Michigan and work for a company based in New Hampshire -- I once said to someone at our offices that I was from the midwest and they felt that Michigan was not??? They said that the only thing about me that was midwestern was my accent?? Whatever...always thought that was odd.
    They obviously failed the 4th grade..

http://www.seta.iastate.edu/images/midwest.gif

• Probably better than being called the Mid-east. :p
    hahaha... I thought that alright :D

dirt, it's like me being from Ulster... everyone thinks Ulster IS Northern Ireland but they forget about the 3 counties in Ulster that are in the republic :rolleyes: . I've had people simply tell me i'm wrong, that I couldn't be from ulster and therefore I'm not :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    they are the Breadbasket too. Does that help?? :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    dirt wrote:

One other thing I think is odd is how people from the US are referred to as Americans. Technically yes, but so are people from Canada - Yet they are referred to as Canadiens and people from the states are Americans?

haha. Accent huh.
    Does this mean I too share some sorta accent with you and stuff.
    I am Iowan, land of corn/soybean fields, and hog/cow shit.
    Love it dearly I do.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Lizard wrote:
    they are the Breadbasket too. Does that help?? :D

also part of the bible belt.
    :D
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    chadwick wrote:
    haha. Accent huh.
    Does this mean I too share some sorta accent with you and stuff.
    I am Iowan, land of corn/soybean fields, and hog/cow shit.
    Love it dearly I do.

when i moved from California to Michigan in the 7th grade, I thought you ALL sounded weird :p. And very strange terms too!! Everyone was saying "boge" for gross! I was thinking "WTH does that mean?"..... :D:D
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Consider this (keep in mind Chicago is pretty much dead-centre in the USA, in terms of east-west.

<quote>
    Northwestern University

Founded in 1851 by Methodists from Chicago (including John Evans, after whom Evanston is named), Northwestern opened in Evanston in 1855 with two faculty members and ten students. ... The University's name, Northwestern, came from its founders' desire to serve citizens of the states that occupied the area of the former Northwest Territory: Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota.
    </quote>
  • dirt wrote:
    IOne other thing I think is odd is how people from the US are referred to as Americans. Technically yes, but so are people from Canada - Yet they are referred to as Canadiens and people from the states are Americans?

:confused:
    so... what do you propose we call people from USA, if not "americans"?
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    :confused:
    so... what do you propose we call people from USA, if not "americans"?

"Loud"
    dirt wrote:
    US are referred to as Americans. Technically yes, but so are people from Canada - Yet they are referred to as Canadiens and people from the states are Americans?
    Technically, Canadians are North Americans, not Americans.. :p
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Lizard wrote:
    when i moved from California to Michigan in the 7th grade, I thought you ALL sounded weird :p. And very strange terms too!! Everyone was saying "boge" for gross! I was thinking "WTH does that mean?"..... :D:D

California to MI? Ouch. haha. Boag. Completely forgot that one! I am gonna revive that one starting right now!!! How about 'pop' instead of cola or soft soft (or whatever else). I didn't realize that party store was a regional violation either. We lived in the mid-atlantic for a few years and one day I asked where the party store was, you know - to buy beer (you cannot buy it in the grocery stores in Maryland), and my friend said, 'why, do you want streamers and hats or what?' He thought I was planning a birthday party or something... I should have said liquor store. :D

Back to the thread -- I am a sales rep, and instead of rattling off the states I cover or saying midwest, I refer to my region as Great Lakes.

As for Civ Eng Girl (sorry, I don't know how to do multi-quotes in a single reply...) -- I hear ya, but I just always thought it strange. I always refer to the states or just US.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    dirt wrote:
    California to MI? Ouch. haha. Boag. Completely forgot that one! I am gonna revive that one starting right now!!! :D

It's all good.
    I am back in CA and can appreciate it better now ;)
    two words: tennis shoes
    I love to turn you on
    also--you guys say gym class and we say P.E.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Lizard wrote:

Never heard the term "boge" before.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Technically, Canadians are North Americans, not Americans.. :p

It's like this- the country is called United States of America, that's why we're called americans. Canadians are called Canadians because the name of the country is Canada. There's no "america" in the name of the country; likewise, what else would you call americans? "United-ians?" "Sate-ians?" I mean we can't call people "United Kingdomians" either.
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Lizard wrote:

I moved from SoCal to Minnesota in 4th grade.

They were still doing nuclear bomb drills back then, but in the Midwest they also do tornado drills and since I had just come from earthquake territory I was totally confused. Like - "Wait, is this the one where we go out in the hall or do we get under our desks?"

I also remember getting harassed for calling 'pop' soda.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • I live here in Michigan and although we're West of NY/DC, for example, Wisconsin, Minnesota and the Dakotas are a hell of a lot more West, and are true Mid-western states.

Maybe we could be Mid-East states cuz that would make more since logistically.

The Mid-East states of Michigan, Ohio and Western NY and PA. :p
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    It's like this- the country is called United States of America, that's why we're called americans. Canadians are called Canadians because the name of the country is Canada. There's no "america" in the name of the country; likewise, what else would you call americans? "United-ians?" "Sate-ians?" I mean we can't call people "United Kingdomians" either.
    yep..you're called americans because your country doesn't have a proper name :p

(and no, it doesn't work for the UK, which is formed by 4 countries, all with a proper name :))

btw, Mexico also is in North America.
    and I'm not even starting on all the central and south Americans countries..everyone is an American there too!

easy way to solve the problem: you're bloody Yanks ;)
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    They have naming problems down there.

For example, they call themselves "America".
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire