Paying extra for side orders?

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
What's the fucking deal with that? I was in a brilliant restaurant Saturday night and was surprised when I ordered the steak and it actually came with mash, veg and sauce :o

I really really don't get it, it's usually the most expensive restaurants too where you get the tiniest portions and these days you have to ask what it comes with :mad: . It pisses me off!
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    What's the fucking deal with that? I was in a brilliant restaurant Saturday night and was surprised when I ordered the steak and it actually came with mash, veg and sauce :o

I really really don't get it, it's usually the most expensive restaurants too where you get the tiniest portions and these days you have to ask what it comes with :mad: . It pisses me off!

were u expecting a beer as a side order?
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    were u expecting a beer as a side order?
    :confused: Huh?

Obviously beer has always been an extra and is expected to be an extra. Spuds and veg are part of the meal though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    So you're saying they gave you the extras with the meal, without asking, and charged them extra?
  • Rygar wrote:
    So you're saying they gave you the extras with the meal, without asking, and charged them extra?
    Nonononono... I'm saying that these things never USED to be extras... but the past few years it's somehow become the norm. They're charging the same prices as always but for about half of what ya used to get... it used to be that if you ordered a steak, you ALWAYS got mash, veg, gravy/sauce with it... but recently I was at a restaurant where they were even charging 2.50/3 euro for your choice of sauce ON the steak :eek:

The place I was at Saturday night was the first place I've been in a long time where all that was included in the price... and yet it was a pretty average price for the steak in a really really nice restaurant. It was a pleasant surprise.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Well i understand your disapointment. I too feel that generally you should get some starch and a veggie on with yoru meal but as you mentioned all too many resturants do not do that. Particularly steak houses.

The one good thing though is usually when you have to pay extra for sides they come in large portions and you can share. I know i went to one recently and my date and i got our steaks and a side of sauted mushroom/onions and garlic mashed potatoes and it was plenty for both of us to split the order instead of having to order 2 sides of garlic mashed potatoes and 2 sides of mushrooms etc.

I figure if i spend $30 dollars on a steak though they should at least give me some taters! :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    its called a la carte
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • intodeep wrote:
    Well i understand your disapointment. I too feel that generally you should get some starch and a veggie on with yoru meal but as you mentioned all too many resturants do not do that. Particularly steak houses.

The one good thing though is usually when you have to pay extra for sides they come in large portions and you can share. I know i went to one recently and my date and i got our steaks and a side of sauted mushroom/onions and garlic mashed potatoes and it was plenty for both of us to split the order instead of having to order 2 sides of garlic mashed potatoes and 2 sides of mushrooms etc.

I figure if i spend $30 dollars on a steak though they should at least give me some taters! :)
    Yep, I definitely agree with ya about how they're usually big enough for 3 people :D and it is kinda nice if there is a few of you out to get a selection of sides and you can have a bit of each... it's simply that so many places have cashed in on this cos it has just happened over the past few years and yet strangely, prices haven't dropped as you'd imagine they would when you're getting half what you used to get.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • chromiam wrote:
    its called a la carte
    I know what it's CALLED... I just fail to see what that has to do with it :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    eating out is often disappointing to me. They give you such small servings and what you get is not really filling

most of the time anyway
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
    chromiam wrote:
    its called a la carte
    and 'a la carte' has been around quite a long time.

anytime you go to a steak house worth their salt, it's 'a la carte'. been that way as long as i've been going to places.

it's kinda silly, but it is what it is.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    intodeep wrote:

A steak without taters is almost as bad as steak without ketchup.
  • AzWickerAzWicker Posts: 1,162
    DS1119 wrote:

You go to hell and you DIE!
    Ed: 2011-07-09 2012-11-04
    PJ: 2011-09-03 2011-09-04
  • AzWicker wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    AzWicker wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:o