Options

FRAMING QUESTION (re: my Clash poster)

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,425
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
The crown jewel of my poster collection is now ready to be framed!

It is a 36' x 24' poster from a Clash concert in 1980. I had gotten it signed by Joe Strummer before he died, and last night, I got it signed by Mick Jones.

The poster seems a bit too large to use any matting.

Any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

It is a 36' x 24' poster from a Clash concert in 1980. I had gotten it signed by Joe Strummer before he died, and last night, I got it signed by Mick Jones.

Any suggestions?

pics?
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Ask MasterFramer for sure. :) I'm sure he will answer your post, but I have to add that he is incredible. Trust his judgment. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Any suggestions?

I was a certified picture framer for 8 years so I'll toss in my 2 cents.

It all depends on how much you want to spend on it. You can have matting put on it and technically it is the best thing for it as it will keep the poster/signature off of the glass. If the paper is pressed directly against the glass, it can damage the poster. The thing is, due to the size, that how you mat it can drastically change the price. A standard matboard is 32x40, which means you would only get 2" on top and bottom. But if you want more mat, (which I prefer on larger pieces) you can get an oversized mat used for it. Your color choices would be more limited and it will cost a good deal more, but I personally think it would look better.

If you absolutely do not want to mat it, there are these plastic strips called spacers that can be put on the glass, hidden inside the frame, to keep the glass lifted off the poster. The problem with this is that you run the risk of them indenting the edges of your poster.

If what you want most of all is to preserve the poster, I would definitely mat it, use conservation/UV protective glass even if you are not hanging it near sunlight, make sure all paper products used are acid free (mats and backing board) and absolutely do not drymount it. As soon as it is permanently adhered, it loses all of its value and drymount boards are very often not acid free. This means that there may be a ripple in the poster as it would just be "hanging" in the frame. But when I took my classes for preservation framing certification, the teacher liked to tell people that the ripple meant it was probably framed correctly.
  • Options
    geishagrrl wrote:
    I was a certified picture framer for 8 years so I'll toss in my 2 cents.

It all depends on how much you want to spend on it. You can have matting put on it and technically it is the best thing for it as it will keep the poster/signature off of the glass. If the paper is pressed directly against the glass, it can damage the poster. The thing is, due to the size, that how you mat it can drastically change the price. A standard matboard is 32x40, which means you would only get 2" on top and bottom. But if you want more mat, (which I prefer on larger pieces) you can get an oversized mat used for it. Your color choices would be more limited and it will cost a good deal more, but I personally think it would look better.

If you absolutely do not want to mat it, there are these plastic strips called spacers that can be put on the glass, hidden inside the frame, to keep the glass lifted off the poster. The problem with this is that you run the risk of them indenting the edges of your poster.

If what you want most of all is to preserve the poster, I would definitely mat it, use conservation/UV protective glass even if you are not hanging it near sunlight, make sure all paper products used are acid free (mats and backing board) and absolutely do not drymount it. As soon as it is permanently adhered, it loses all of its value and drymount boards are very often not acid free. This means that there may be a ripple in the poster as it would just be "hanging" in the frame. But when I took my classes for preservation framing certification, the teacher liked to tell people that the ripple meant it was probably framed correctly.

I appreciate the advice...looks like matting is the way to go!
  • Options
    Glad I could help. :)
  • Options
    geishagrrl wrote:
    Glad I could help. :)

Does the Geisha biz pay better then framing?
  • Options
    Haha, just a little bit.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I appreciate the advice...looks like matting is the way to go!

Yeah she nailed it... but be prepared when they give you the quote for the oversized project...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • Options
    Yeah she nailed it... but be prepared when they give you the quote for the oversized project...

no worries......I am gonna hang it in my office so its a legit tax deduction!