Options

What Do You Expect from Brendan O'Brien and Pearl Jam?

2»

Comments

• Options
    freewheelin3freewheelin3 Posts: 173
    so does anyone know if they are in there with B o'Brien at the moment.. i heard that the living end album is done and dusted (heard the first single - album in july)then i read then on pitchfork that he is now producing the new mastodon album.

soyeah, are they doing sessions with him now ?

be nice if we were kept in the loop a little.
  • Options
    danedane Posts: 1,062
    so does anyone know if they are in there with B o'Brien at the moment.. i heard that the living end album is done and dusted (heard the first single - album in july)then i read then on pitchfork that he is now producing the new mastodon album.

soyeah, are they doing sessions with him now ?

be nice if we were kept in the loop a little.

Read an interview with Mike, where he said that had met and played a few new songs, but they were still not fully evolved and basicly just jam sessions. But he also said that Brendan had pointed them in new directions, some were rough others more soft. But they had decided to seperate for a while and return with fresh ideas. This is just how I remember it though. Might not be fully accurate.
    IMO PJ's work with O'Brien has been their best, so I'm really looking forward to hear how it turns out. Just thinking of a new album gives me the chills!

When it comes to being kept in the loop, I really wish there would be more info on pearljam.com. It doesn't have to be a weekly blog or personal letter or anything. Just a small announcement, saying "Hey, yesterday we met with Brendan and jammed. New songs are forming!"
    Kinda weird that we always get the first news from other sources......
    Roskilde 30-06-00
    Berlin 23-09-06
    Copenhagen 26-06-07
    :-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
    "This is not wine that I'm drinking tonight. This is Gatorade!" EV-Copenhagen 26-06-07
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    I hope the band decides to take more left turns with this upcoming album...the self-titled was good but too straight-ahead, which was the same problem that plagued Riot Act. I just hope the band writes some songs that sound "fresh". I could go without the mindless garage and surf rockers, there's usually a couple that plague each album. The band is at its best when they experiment - check No Code, for example. The worst songs on that album? The straight ahead rockers ("Mankind", "Habit").
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    i'm hoping they make a kick-ass record, that has NOTHING POLITICAL ABOUT IT. :p
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    FrankieG wrote:
    i'm hoping they make a kick-ass record, that has NOTHING POLITICAL ABOUT IT. :p

During an election year, and the world in flux

Better chance getting Ed to cover all Streisand Songs on the new album...just my opinion
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    tcaporale wrote:
    I hope the band decides to take more left turns with this upcoming album...the self-titled was good but too straight-ahead, which was the same problem that plagued Riot Act. I just hope the band writes some songs that sound "fresh". I could go without the mindless garage and surf rockers, there's usually a couple that plague each album. The band is at its best when they experiment - check No Code, for example. The worst songs on that album? The straight ahead rockers ("Mankind", "Habit").

Riot act had folky elements that were fairly new to PJ, and some cool sounds, different time signatures ... You Are was a great meld of classic rock and more proggy styles. I don't think it was nearly as straight-ahead as Avocado, which was a rocking, meat and potatoes PJ album. I too am hoping for some experimentation the next time around, but not Bugs-style experimentation!
  • Options
    Riot act had folky elements that were fairly new to PJ, and some cool sounds, different time signatures ... You Are was a great meld of classic rock and more proggy styles. I don't think it was nearly as straight-ahead as Avocado, which was a rocking, meat and potatoes PJ album. I too am hoping for some experimentation the next time around, but not Bugs-style experimentation!

Well, obviously, I don't mean experimentation in the vein of "Bugs" or "Hey Foxy...". I don't mean they have to pull, say, a Kid A, but I wish they wrote more songs like "Who You Are" and "Given to Fly", even more like "Wishlist" or "Man of the Hour"...not what most people would call experiments, but I'm referring to the varied sounds of the guitar and the background effects that make the song. I often refer to Radiohead when talking about this, because if you listen to one of their albums, the production plays almost as big a part as the songs themselves. Pearl Jam's self-titled contained some excellent songs ("Life Wasted", "WWS", and "Inside Job" in particular) but the production seemed bland at times...I want them to incorporate more of their ethereal guitar sound on their next record (think "Nothing as It Seems"...or even, if you wish, the slow section of "Life Wasted").
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    I think we will get an album better than avocado, but most people won't recognize it. And then when you try to explain how great the new album is people will just give you a blank stare and ask "is Pearl Jam still together?"
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    I could do with another No Code-type album...that would be nice.

Complex songs (think "Immortality" or "Who You Are") would be better than simple rockers (think "Big Wave" or "Ghost").
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    I DON'T want a straight forward rock record.....

I want creativity and different sounds, I want the things that made No Code, Yield and Binaural so great and passionate and interesting.....

I would like to hear Jeff's bass better please.....

I would also like the drums less muffled and Ed's voice brought to the fore again like it is on Yield.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    samsaidheysamsaidhey Posts: 63
    It would be great to have the Rumour Pit again.

That was always exciting because it contain a whole wealth of news and little treats to expect and keep our imaginations running wild.

It would be cool to have that again - you know quarterly (4 times a year)

peace
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i expect and absolute rock and roll masterpiece

and thats what they will deliver

this is the best band in the world hooking back up with the best rock producer in the world. need i say anything more?
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    willtupper wrote:
    I expect more cowbell.

In fact, I expect a sequel to "Bugs" called, "Cowbell."

you are hysterical! me and you saw the snl skit. you did it better. you should do stand up, this joke would kill. expect more cowbell, ha. magine if they had shirts that said more cowbell, people would laf and laf and laf
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 369
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I'm very excited at the prospect at having Brendon back in the fold.

He's done some awesome work with Pearl Jam in the past and I think he did an superb job producing (and playing on) their cover of "Love Reign O'er Me". Another case in point were his re-mixes of the "Ten" songs on "Rearviewmirror"; which blow the original versions out of the fucking water.

I feel Brendon knows this band better than any other producer out there. The boys are comfortable with him and he knows how to get what he wants out of them.

As much as I like the last three albums, I don't think they hold up production wise against the music that Brendon produced for them.

Vs. Merkinball, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yeild, are the definative albums in the bands catalog and If the production even comes half way as close matching the standard set by those albums, I think we're in for a real ass kicker of a record.

I'm just thankful they haven't jumped the shark and approached Danger Mouse or Rick Rubin to produce their album.

Brendon is their man. He's like their George Martin.

Later

I 100% agree!
    Its good to be back!!