Options

Pre 2008 Tour Setlist dicussion.

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Yo all

I was thinking about what PJ could play at the following shows. Ive listened to pretty much every show since 2000 and since then there has always been trend in playing songs such as go, animal, hail hail, insignificance, corduroy, even flow, grievance, given to fly, betterman, do the evolution etc you catch my drift. Now these are all awesome songs but i would like to go to a show and not have to hear them again and hear something else instead. However one could argue that the show could become very boring if they just played songs like soon forget all day ;p but there are plenty of rockers they could still put in :P

"Who I am to say?, Some people are into that"

Apart from the basic stem of those songs they will throw in a few rares or just play songs from the album they are touring. This time they arn't touring an album and i would love to see them totally shake their setlist up and just play anything from the catalogue.

Or just perhaps those songs I mentioned are their catalogue so they just play them.. but i know there are so many dam good songs they could play instead e.g. breath, deep, oceans, garden, gods dice, of the girl, wash, brain of j, down, smile, dissident, crazy mary, immortality, leash, all or none, wma, dead man, rats, sad, education, in hiding, habit, whippin, alone, in my tree etc. Especially since 03/05It would be cool if those became commoners.. but then again thats what maybe why those songs are so good becuase they are special and only played on rare occasions.

Basically what im getting is that i just want to hear stuff throughout the show, (not just 1 or 2) which is considered deep in their catalogue.

But i think the most important point is that PJ are playing and its an honour to go to any show :)

what you guys think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    come to mansfield and maybe you'll get Smile! Its the last show of the tour... and thats when they're most likely to play it I've heard... and i'd love to hear it live!!

I agree that they'll shake things up a bit, especially since i read that article on the board the other day that they didn't want to play any new songs that they're working on (at least i think that was Mike saying it, ad i think i read that here... haha)

i really really really really really wanna hear in my tree, and i think florida is the place they'll do it... .......one more reason to haul off to wpb!

other than that, i'm hoping for a mad cover of Sean Paul's Shake That Thing and maybe Bootylicious for my friend Hitch-Hiker ;) Those 4 songs and i'm packin my bag for WPB for sure!

juuust kidding of course.

sort of.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    how can he not play bu$hleaguer in wpb? i'm not so sure it's a coincidence that wpb is the first show during this type of election year.
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Well, Mike has already said they are going to pull out some "rarities", so I'm excited to hear what they do. I am one that never tires of the standards, I just love being there, and live it's always a bit different. Having said that though, it's always great to hear some lesser played songs. Out of your list I don't really consider Crazy Mary a rarity though. ;) Sure wish I was going to some. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Aside from playing rare or new songs, they could really freshen things up by moving some songs around in the "traditional" setlist. For instance, if Release isn't the first song of the night, you can pretty much guarantee you won't hear it. How about throwing it into the second encore? Or moving Evenflow out of the "somewhere between 4th-8th song of the set" spot where it has squarely sat for the past 3 tours? Just some jumbling of the order might shake up the energy a bit.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    DocChicago wrote:
    Aside from playing rare or new songs, they could really freshen things up by moving some songs around in the "traditional" setlist. For instance, if Release isn't the first song of the night, you can pretty much guarantee you won't hear it. How about throwing it into the second encore? Or moving Evenflow out of the "somewhere between 4th-8th song of the set" spot where it has squarely sat for the past 3 tours? Just some jumbling of the order might shake up the energy a bit.

+1 - great point.

I would like to add - playing yellow ledbetter first would just totally bamboozle everyone.

EXACTLY, when i go to shows people say hey what they gonna open with? and i say oh release, long road or wash. And I knew if they play corduory first i would be like oh dam not gonna hear those. So it would be cool to do like what you said or just play em all at the start!
  • Options
    DocChicago wrote:

i like the way you think. i would LOVE to hear release as an encore opener!!
    "and onward goes this thing of ours."

Paulie "Walnuts" Gualtieri
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    They have moved Evenflow around a bit. It's been in the encore a few times. I'd like to see that a little more.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Bu$hleaguer and/or Masters of War in Washington,D.C. Also, No More . Last, perhaps a reprise of Mike's incredible version of the Star Spangled Banner somewhere along the way.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    they did this already, it was a show called THE VIC!!!!!!!

I love staples too but having seen them so many times now I love it when they get a little radical and mix it up. I know I will enjoy the experience either way, but when they whip out all or none instead of Jeremy I am not crying at all.
  • Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    I agree with alot of those. But to be honest, Alive needs to close encores. I'd hate to see it in the middle of a set. Close the 1st encore, or the show with it.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
    I'd like to see Lost Dogs II...aka Canada 05 all over again

no new album to focus on or promote...shorter tour

getting out of the studio to loosen things up, gain perspective

plus, after Bonnaroo think of all the old gems, rarities, and new covers they'll have practiced :D;)
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    they did this already, it was a show called THE VIC!!!!!!!

I love staples too but having seen them so many times now I love it when they get a little radical and mix it up. I know I will enjoy the experience either way, but when they whip out all or none instead of Jeremy I am not crying at all.

Ya i want sets like all the time..