Options

reasonable gift for my superintendent?

rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone? i've been living in my current apartment since only october, and i just don't know what is an acceptable gift to give my super for christmas. i don't know which route to go and how much i should give.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    anyone? i've been living in my current apartment since only october, and i just don't know what is an acceptable gift to give my super for christmas. i don't know which route to go and how much i should give.

A plunger.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533

i had the same problem also

however i had 5 doormen and 3 maintenence men to take care of also
    my super is a half of ass so he got a small amount

however if its only the super to take care of and he does right by u ,, it would be wise to give him a decent amont 50 or so ?
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I've heard anything between 35 and 100.

We've also just moved in this summer, and I gave him 50.
    He's an ass though.

:)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677

When my gf and I moved into our building two years ago we were there for all of 2 weeks before XMAS but still got the list handed to us of all the staff. I think we gave most of them $10 except for the super we gave $20 (even though none had done anything to that point). Have you utilized your super since living there. If so, that's how I would determine what he was getting.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    When my gf and I moved into our building two years ago we were there for all of 2 weeks before XMAS but still got the list handed to us of all the staff. I think we gave most of them $10 except for the super we gave $20 (even though none had done anything to that point). Have you utilized your super since living there. If so, that's how I would determine what he was getting.

yeah, within the past 2 months he has helped us out a few times, and he is really a very nice guy.

i just don't have experience dealing with a super, so don't know how much is too much or too little.
  • Options
    yeah, within the past 2 months he has helped us out a few times, and he is really a very nice guy.

i just don't have experience dealing with a super, so don't know how much is too much or too little.

50 sounds like a good sum. Perhaps a little more if you can afford it.
    I would also ask some of your neighbors if you have gotten to know any of them a little.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    I wouldn't give anything. They're doing their job.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

so are you one of those people who don't tip servers when you go out to eat because they are "just doing their job?" i really hope that is not the case.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    so are you one of those people who don't tip servers when you go out to eat because they are "just doing their job?" i really hope that is not the case.

Not at all. I tip 20% to servers at restaurants unless they really, really, really screw something up.

By the same token, I do not receive "tips" at holiday time from clients my company does work for.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

ahah... I'm not surprised :)

But really, it's a New York thing I think. Sure, these people get paid, but living in a city so expensive is really hard on a small income. And a lot of the things these people do for you are not necessarily in their job description.