Options

martial arts

sleeplikeadogsleeplikeadog Posts: 156
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been getting kind of tubby lately, and have been thinking of new ways to lose weight besides going to a normal fitness gym because I don't really find the fitness gym to be my thing or very interesting. So I've been thinking about doing some kind of martial arts class. But the problem is that I have back, knee, and foot/ancle problems(I think they all have to do with my back, though) , and I was wondering if anyone else here does martial arts and knows how strenuous it will be on my back. I'm going to get xrays on my back, etc. to see what's up next week, but I can't just sit around getting tubby. And everything seems to hurt my back, knees etc., even work. so I kinda don't see the harm right now.
Walking is still honest
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Tai Chi? :) That's gentle.

But with a back injury and other problems you might be better off going with something that supports your weight and is more gentle first, like swimming?

I did Tai Kwon Do for a while and it's really good at getting you into shape and it's excellent for improving flexibility but it's incredibly strenuous. Perhaps something a little more low impact would be better for you to start with? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    I was on my college's Tae Kwon Do team. It is a great workout but is def. NOT low impact.
  • Options
    I know I need low impact, but I want to do something fun/interesting so that I don't become bored and stop doing it.
    Walking is still honest
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    I know I need low impact, but I want to do something fun/interesting so that I don't become bored and stop doing it.

Why don't you pick a couple of low impact things and do them for a while until you build up your strength, flexibility and fitness? That way you're less likely to get bored or injured? :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift