Options

It's funny how growing up hits you out of no where

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,560
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
All of my life, and I'm sure many of you up until a certain point were thinking "I have time to wait until I grow up" (many saying that in their 20s, haha). I know I did, and I still kind of do. But what is this growing up? I can't put it into words but boy has it hit me harder than anything I've ever experienced.

For me the first was being on my own. Starting my first semester of college this past late August was a thrill. Scary but awesome at the same time. I loved it, doing whatever I wanted to do but being responsible for my own actions. I started the semester with a .8GPA...that's right a .8 (finished with a 2.2, man did I bust my ass). That was the first situation that really hit me. The next was being pulled over in Fairfax, VA. Now I know why Fairfax cops are terrible. Clocked doing 81 in a 55, got reckless driving with having my fathers car for less than 2 hours. Had to get my own lawyer and pay the fine. Regardless whether I was back home in NY doing that, I probably would have been let go or gotten a small speeding ticket, it was still a 1200$ experience.

Then came to the point where I had to pay off that 1200$, get a job! I had a job for two years before this but I was going into this semester thinking of not having one. Guess I was wrong.

The ending weeks of the semester had me home sick...I couldn't wait to go home! My second week home, I go out to pick up this girl for me first "official" date. On my way there, a guy cuts me off while I'm doing 70 on the expressway and as an end result I total my car. Hurray, the stress of going through insurance shit and financial shit (which I'm still dealing with now). So now how am I going to buy a new car? Guess I have to get my old job back and work 45 hour weeks. But how do I get to work? Ride my bike through my poor town in the early morning and late nights hoping not to get jumped. As Katt Williams has said "niggas on the struggle".

Now how to I grow from this? One thing is I've realized to not take things for granted because it can be all taken from you and change your life in the snap of a finger. The other, kind of funny but to put your priorities in line. For example, I smoked weed everyday with my friends. Been clean 2 weeks now, I have to prepare for a new semester of school and do good and not do what I did last semester.

The other thing too...you go through a period of time thinking your family and friends are not there for you and are giving you shit because you deserve it. But actually it's that "tough love" that you've been dreading.

So by the end of this year I need to buy a car, find a place to live, pay off my debt, pay for school, work, and put my priorities in line. Much different than a year ago today I was sitting in a classroom my senior year not giving a fuck about anything.

Edit:
GO G-MEN!!!!!
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    dude. this all just gave me a headache. bottom line is ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME, no matter WHAT u exxxperience! i'll get back to you on the growing up thing! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Wow - I didn't really feel like an adult until last year (when I turned 41)! It hit me when hubby and I were driving home from work or something. Like a ton of bricks...but it wasn't a bad feeling, it was rather good. "We've got freedom AND responsibility! It's a groovy time to be alive, baby - yeah!"
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Does anyone ever really grow up?

To me you just wake up one day and you're fucking tired and the days before seemed so much better and you just haul your arse outta bed and keep going coz what choice do you have really?
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Wow - I didn't really feel like an adult until last year (when I turned 41)! It hit me when hubby and I were driving home from work or something. Like a ton of bricks...but it wasn't a bad feeling, it was rather good. "We've got freedom AND responsibility! It's a groovy time to be alive, baby - yeah!"

THAT is an AWESOME spirit to have!!! age is but a number!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Does anyone ever really grow up?

To me you just wake up one day and you're fucking tired and the days before seemed so much better and you just haul your arse outta bed and keep going coz what choice do you have really?

That's how I feel now but that's kind of contradictive. You can do whatever you want with your life at any time for better or for worse, temporarily or permanently.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    all the while meeting the coolest black kid ever
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Remember when you were a little kid and you had to be in bed by a certain time and couldn't watch a TV show you might have wanted to see? And then one day you don't have a bedtime and your mom isn't telling you to brush your teeth and get your jammies on? That was a strange feeling for me...I liked the freedom, but the responsibility was a bit freaky.

BTW, thanks SEN for being so nice! Did I every tell you that I've met Mr. McCready?
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    all the while meeting the coolest black kid ever

ahahaha

saw him at our 1 year high school re-union...hes not that cool anymore
  • Options
    ahahaha

saw him at our 1 year high school re-union...hes not that cool anymore

aww why not?
  • Options
    Slip Kid wrote:
    aww why not?

i dont know, he got kind of weird

ive met cooler black kids than him, it was just that one day that he impressed me
  • Options
    i dont know, he got kind of weird

ive met cooler black kids than him, it was just that one day that he impressed me

and that fateful day, there was a thread made
  • Options
    BTW, thanks SEN for being so nice! Did I every tell you that I've met Mr. McCready?

:eek: you did NOT TELL ME!!!! i would LOVE to hear the story!!!!! oh but, not in this thread...i dont wanna hijack it cuz hailhail is way cool. how about the 'kissing the rockstar' thread? :D

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    That's how I feel now but that's kind of contradictive. You can do whatever you want with your life at any time for better or for worse, temporarily or permanently.

Well no, I don't believe that. I'm more of a "shit happens" kinda gal and believe it's only the depth that varies. Not to put a damper on your day or anything. :o I don't think people always do have choices or maybe they just have a choice between shit and shittier? Either way I think there is definitely a point in your life when you realize that it aint all beer and skittles anymore and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Some people try but I kinda liken that to just chasin their tails really, the inevitable outcome will be the same.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    :eek: you did NOT TELL ME!!!! i would LOVE to hear the story!!!!! oh but, not in this thread...i dont wanna hijack it cuz hailhail is way cool. how about the 'kissing the rockstar' thread? :D

OK..no prob...can I do it tomorrow night...I do go on a bit and right now - although 9:41pm, I have to hit the hay...gotta get up at 6am - blechhh...

And yeah - everyone in this thread seems cool! No plan to hijack...

Remember, age is but a number - have as much (legal) fun as you can have - and live in the moment! That'll keep you young!
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    Remember, age is but a number - have as much (legal) fun as you can have - and live in the moment! That'll keep you young!

thats right!!! :D
    nite nite!

• Options
    I forgot to mention...I wanted to come back home so bad those last few weeks of the semester, but i go back this saturday, and i can't wait....i guess the mind changes when things dont go the way you have planned