Options

someone just told me....

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
that asians get drunk faster than everyone else because of some genetic thing....I guess I get drunk 25% faster than all my friends

cheers! :D
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Do you get asian glow?
  • Options
    note to self: date an asian girl.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    long red wrote:
    note to self: date an asian girl.
    :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353
    Do you get asian glow?

uhhh sort of...I don't get the headache part (unless i drink too much of course) but I do get pretty damn red my or so my friend is telling me
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    DopeyBoyDopeyBoy Posts: 170
    You sure its not native americans? I know they have a genetic thing that their bodies can't process alcohol properly.
    Weird...maybe I'm part native or asian, I've never been able to handle alcohol well at all...

Peace
    :-p
    "Six million dollars we turned down, to prevent our song to be sung by a cock" E.V. - San Diego, June 5, 2003
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I've heard this also, but it certainly isn't the case with the crazy Koreans I play poker with...
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    my wife is asian and she gets drunk after one drink...

could be the fact that she weighs 100 lbs...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    It wavers with me. I went through a stretch where I'd have between 1 and 3 drinks and be hammered or puking in the morning. It was really weird. That happened for about 3 - 6 months. But it hasn't happened in a year and now it seems like I don't get very drunk when I drink. :confused:

I really only drink probably about 4-5 times a month. But last weekend. I drank from Sun-up to Sun-up ;) while taking numerous shots, cocktails, and beers and nothing. I hardly felt drunk. I'm weird with alcohol. Must be my Mom's Asianness. :p
    NERDS!
  • Options
    I've heard of "Asian glow" but not that Asians get drunk faster. However that being said, I have some Asian friends who get drunk before they get to the bottom of the first glass. I guess never put it together.
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    I'd be a lot richer if that happened to me. One drink?!?! That's awesome.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    it's supposedly some enzyme that asian folks lack that allows them to break the alcohol down, so they can turn red. a guy i used to work with would have this happen :)
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    it's supposedly some enzyme that asian folks lack that allows them to break the alcohol down, so they can turn red. a guy i used to work with would have this happen :)

See I never turn red though.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    DopeyBoy wrote:
    You sure its not native americans? I know they have a genetic thing that their bodies can't process alcohol properly.
    Weird...maybe I'm part native or asian, I've never been able to handle alcohol well at all...

Peace
    :-p

i've heard it for both, but if i am not mistaken....don't native americans have some asian lineage in them? i could be wrong, but given how asians crossed what, the bering strait all so long ago, etc...it would make sense. and i've had a few asian friends tell me the same too in regards to alcohol. it IS interesting, that's for sure. then again, i don't think it unusual for differing people to have differing traits. don't african americans have a higher rate of sickle cell anemia? i think scientists are STILL trying to to figure that one out.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    It's all about the alcohol flush reaction...

"Alcohol flush reaction is a condition where the body cannot break down ingested alcohol completely, due to a missense polymorphism that encodes the enzyme, acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) [1], normally responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a product of the metabolism of alcohol.[2] Flushing, or blushing, is associated with the erythema (reddening caused by dilation of capillaries) of the face, neck, and shoulder, after consumption of alcohol.

The first step toward metabolizing alcohol is to convert it to acetaldehyde. It has been found that 50% of the Pacific Rim Asian population (Chinese, Japanese, Koreans) possess an atypical alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) known as ADH2*2 that leads to rapid conversion of ethanol to acetaldehyde. This atypical ADH is less frequently found in Caucasians, African Americans, Native Americans, and Asian Indians (Agarwal and Goedde, 1992). Since acetaldehyde is more toxic than alcohol, its increased accumulation causes flushing in the human body. Moreover, the normal aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2), synthesized in the liver, oxidizes acetaldehyde into a carboxylic acid, acetic acid.[3] Mutant ALDH2 enzyme (known as ALDH2*2) in 45 to 53 percent of Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Vietnamese population, however, is only 8% as effective as the normal, wild-type enzyme (ALDH*1). This mutant allele of ALDH2 is dominant, as it interferes with the formation of a fully functional ALDH2 tetramer [4].

Approximately half of people of Asian descent are considered to be sensitive to alcohol due to this condition.[5] Flushing, after consuming one or two alcoholic beverages, includes a range of symptoms: dizziness, nausea, headaches, an increased pulse, occasional extreme drowsiness, and occasional skin swelling and itchiness. These unpleasant side effects often prevent further drinking that may lead to further inebriation, but the symptoms can lead to misassumption that the people affected are more easily inebriated than others."
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I heard something else about asians..small pee pee's
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Asians= hot.

I am SouthAsian. But I didnt mean to call myself hot.

yup.

Happy New Year!!!
    Rarghstarfarian.