Options

I miss the Daily Show and Colbert Report

Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Could those writers just stop with this strike already? I miss my (almost) daily dose of humor.
your light's reflected now
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i know, this is becoming rather infuriating.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    Any word on when the strike will end? Here the news reported on the start, but it stopped there...
  • Options
    not a damn word. here in ny all they talk about is the broadway strike. as for the hollywood writers strike, nobody knows.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    me too, I used to look forward to laughing at the sefl-importance and pompous actions of American politicians and celebrities who were made fun on both these shows.

now I go to bed annoyed
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I miss it too
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Options
    The writers are not the ones that need to stop this strike...
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • Options
    Magus wrote:
    The writers are not the ones that need to stop this strike...
    Agreed. They're the ones missed tho
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    I know. :( How many headlines have you read and thought, "Damnit. I wish the Daily Show was on the air."
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    NEW YORK (AP) -- "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" will resume production on January 7 without their striking writers, the Comedy Central network announced Thursday.

Both late-night shows were shuttered after the Hollywood writers strike began seven weeks ago.

The comedy duo are the latest late-night hosts to announce their return to the air while the ongoing writers strike continues to devastate much television and film production.

Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Kimmel have all recently said that they will resume their programs on January 2 with or without their writing staffs.

On Friday, leaders of striking television writers plan to meet with David Letterman's production company in an attempt to reach a separate deal that could return the "Late Show" to the air with its writing staff.

But "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" rely far more on scripted material than those shows, which are more centered around interviews and musical guests.

In a joint statement, Stewart and Colbert said: "We would like to return to work with our writers. If we cannot, we would like to express our ambivalence, but without our writers we are unable to express something as nuanced as ambivalence."

A spokesman for Comedy Central said neither the network, Stewart nor Colbert would have any further comment. A call to the Writers Guild of America was not immediately returned late Thursday.

Source: cnn.com
  • Options
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Obi Once wrote:
    NEW YORK (AP) -- "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Colbert Report" will resume production on January 7 without their striking writers, the Comedy Central network announced Thursday.

Both late-night shows were shuttered after the Hollywood writers strike began seven weeks ago.

The comedy duo are the latest late-night hosts to announce their return to the air while the ongoing writers strike continues to devastate much television and film production.

Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Kimmel have all recently said that they will resume their programs on January 2 with or without their writing staffs.

On Friday, leaders of striking television writers plan to meet with David Letterman's production company in an attempt to reach a separate deal that could return the "Late Show" to the air with its writing staff.

But "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" rely far more on scripted material than those shows, which are more centered around interviews and musical guests.

In a joint statement, Stewart and Colbert said: "We would like to return to work with our writers. If we cannot, we would like to express our ambivalence, but without our writers we are unable to express something as nuanced as ambivalence."

A spokesman for Comedy Central said neither the network, Stewart nor Colbert would have any further comment. A call to the Writers Guild of America was not immediately returned late Thursday.

Source: cnn.com
    Good news for everyone but the writers. At least Letterman is still holding strong until he can get his writers a side deal. (Not that I'm anybody) but I'ev lost so much respect for Conan, Colbert, and Stewart (never had any for Leno, so he doesn't count) over this manuever. It's not as though the networks would fire the host if they didn't return.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Good news for everyone but the writers. At least Letterman is still holding strong until he can get his writers a side deal. (Not that I'm anybody) but I'ev lost so much respect for Conan, Colbert, and Stewart (never had any for Leno, so he doesn't count) over this manuever. It's not as though the networks would fire the host if they didn't return.
    I agree.
    Those guys are nobody without their writers.
    They couldn't joke their way out of a paper bag.
    Hopefully people will start talking to each other or (heaven forbid!) their children, rather than parking their lazy butts in front of the tv.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Yeah or maybe crack open a book!!!
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,410
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I agree.
    Those guys are nobody without their writers.
    They couldn't joke their way out of a paper bag.
    Hopefully people will start talking to each other or (heaven forbid!) their children, rather than parking their lazy butts in front of the tv.

Stewart has done standup. It might be more interviews. I think Letterman is coming back next week. They're doing it for the other staff members who let go.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    Stewart has done standup. It might be more interviews. I think Letterman is coming back next week. They're doing it for the other staff members who let go.

Letterman is returning because he arranged a side deal for his writers to return. Stewart, Colbert, and O'brien can all suck it for pulling this bullshit manuever! Oh and Stewart is a great stand up comic, but a stand up comic does not on their own, write a genius show like the Daily Show on their own.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Letterman is returning because he arranged a side deal for his writers to return. Stewart, Colbert, and O'brien can all suck it for pulling this bullshit manuever! Oh and Stewart is a great stand up comic, but a stand up comic does not on their own, write a genius show like the Daily Show on their own.
    I highly doubt that they're comming back for themselves. I mean there's so many people unemployed right now because of the writers strike and it ain't like they can afford to be without work like the writers or the actors can.
  • Options
    I'm completely in the dark what the status, justification etc of this strike is, I just enjoy these shows. I don't think Stewart and Colbert are unloyal to their writers, but just wanna make a show they love making.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I don't see how 2 x 4 x 20 minutes of comedy will stop people from talking to eachother (or reading books), even more so if the content discussed has a political or social edge to it.
  • Options
    I highly doubt that they're comming back for themselves. I mean there's so many people unemployed right now because of the writers strike and it ain't like they can afford to be without work like the writers or the actors can.

All I'm saying is that if Letterman has the pull to do the RIGHT thing, so do two of the most popular figures on Comedy Central along with NBC's cash cow who soon will be taking over the Tonight Show. Hopefully this will motivate them to do the same.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I am with you on that. But, I am also completely in support of the people who aren't getting paid. I have been playing Guitar Hero like crazy because of this.
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    All I'm saying is that if Letterman has the pull to do the RIGHT thing, so do two of the most popular figures on Comedy Central along with NBC's cash cow who soon will be taking over the Tonight Show. Hopefully this will motivate them to do the same.
    The thing is that Stewart and Colbert don't have the pull to do the right thing seeing they don't have as much control over their shows as Letterman does. The only reason Letterman was capable of cutting the deal is because he's one of the people the writers were striking against seeing he owns Worldwide Pants which produces the show. For the other Late Night shows it's the networks that produces the shows and they're not willing to budge yet.
  • Options
    The thing is that Stewart and Colbert don't have the pull to do the right thing seeing they don't have as much control over their shows as Letterman does. The only reason Letterman was capable of cutting the deal is because he's one of the people the writers were striking against seeing he owns Worldwide Pants which produces the show. For the other Late Night shows it's the networks that produces the shows and they're not willing to budge yet.

They don't have the pull?? Have either Colbert or Stewart tell their bosses they aren't performing unless they get a side deal for the writers and see how much pull they have. Do you honestly think Comedy Central would try and replace either Colbert or Stewart? Or worse, try and do the show without them? They are the show! Have them try to either replace or just remove them and see how fast the viewing public (aka demographic that keeps the advertising $ flowing in) revolt and then see where they are. Didn't both Cobert and Stewart on their last show say they would support the writers? I guess support only lasts until the bigwigs start complaining? All three of them (Colbert,Stewart, and O'brien) need to grow a pair (seeing how Leno's were long ago chewed off by Helen Kushnick) and take care of their writers.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    These show are where I get 90% of my news from.

Now I don't know what the hell is going on with the world!
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • Options
    These show are where I get 90% of my news from.

Now I don't know what the hell is going on with the world!

LOL! :D (hope you were joking).
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    They don't have the pull?? Have either Colbert or Stewart tell their bosses they aren't performing unless they get a side deal for the writers and see how much pull they have. Do you honestly think Comedy Central would try and replace either Colbert or Stewart? Or worse, try and do the show without them? They are the show! Have them try to either replace or just remove them and see how fast the viewing public (aka demographic that keeps the advertising $ flowing in) revolt and then see where they are. Didn't both Cobert and Stewart on their last show say they would support the writers? I guess support only lasts until the bigwigs start complaining? All three of them (Colbert,Stewart, and O'brien) need to grow a pair (seeing how Leno's were long ago chewed off by Helen Kushnick) and take care of their writers.
    Actually I think they would becuase they could always find a new demographic to cater to. I mean the Daily Show only came into existence because the late night talk show in it's time slot decided to switch networks. Also, it's not like Stewart is the first host of the Daily Show. Even though they might alienate their fanbase there are still people out their that just don't really care and would be willing to embrass change if it ment something new.
  • Options
    Actually I think they would becuase they could always find a new demographic to cater to. I mean the Daily Show only came into existence because the late night talk show in it's time slot decided to switch networks. Also, it's not like Stewart is the first host of the Daily Show. Even though they might alienate their fanbase there are still people out their that just don't really care and would be willing to embrass change if it ment something new.

Agree to disagree. But Kilborn never had the audience that Stewart has.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Obi Once wrote:
    I'm completely in the dark what the status, justification etc of this strike is, I just enjoy these shows. I don't think Stewart and Colbert are unloyal to their writers, but just wanna make a show they love making.

I don't see how 2 x 4 x 20 minutes of comedy will stop people from talking to eachother (or reading books), even more so if the content discussed has a political or social edge to it.
    Unfortunately, 20-30 minutes turns into a few hours with some people. I was not necessarily talking about the joke news shows, but all of the other shows. People need to take a break from the tv and read the paper.
    But what do I know...the only things I like on the tv are cooking shows. :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:

Letterman has the pull because the Late Show and Craig Ferguson are owned by Worldwide Pants, not CBS. The other shows are owned by their networks and don't have the ability to do what Letterman did. However, with Letterman doing what he did it proves it can be done and will be used as a model in negotiations.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11