Options

I wish I had the willpower

Vedderlution_BabyVedderlution_Baby Posts: 2,545
edited August 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
To stay the fuck away from the moving train forum.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    To stay the fuck away from the moving train forum.

Why? It's pointless. I use to post there. I realized that people's political views are their own. It's very very rare that someone changes them. And if they do change their affiliation it typically occurs over a long span of time.

I find that most people go into forums like that one because they like to argue. I did. A form of vindication comes from thinking you've won an argument. But, I'm starting to realize it's pointless.

IMHO, politics is full of creeps. Both left and right. Both up and down. People who are too bullheaded to listen. Including myself. So, I've given it up.

On top of all that, your vote and my vote.... just don't matter at the FEDERAL level. In aggregate do they? Sure. But, alone do they? No.

All of politics is local, because your vote does matter at that level. That's what the arguments should be about... local politics. But, they aren't. It's kind of funny when you think about it. I guess people have bigger fish to fry. The irony is that their opinion just doesn't matter at the larger than life level, but that's where all of the focus is.

To each is own. I say don't waste your time.
  • Options
    i agree, saveduplife. the train wreck is an absolute disaster. as you said, it's a place for people who just enjoy arguing. i remember when i first joined here, i would post there a bit and read some of the threads, and i couldn't beleive some of the things that people would post there. a lot of very hateful things. i made the mistake of posting a thread one day for informative purposes to let people know about a gathering for peace and i had one guy argue with me for about ten pages..with others chirping in from time to time...only to say in the end that he didn't care one way or the other...just that he felt "the other side wasn't represented". i guess he meant those that were against peace? :confused: can't say that i have been a saint at all times when i have posted there either, but i'd look back at the posts later and go...why did that get me so upset? why did i say something like that?

in any case...you're right. it's a waste of time unless you're in a bad mood, feel like armageddon is near, or feel the need to be insulted repeatedly. :D
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    in any case...you're right. it's a waste of time unless you're in a bad mood, feel like armageddon is near, or feel the need to be insulted repeatedly. :D
    That's got to be the best description of that forum I've seen. I wish I'd said that! My compliments! :)

I'm very interested in politics and current events but it's not like you're going to have a civil discussion on that forum. I love to talk about things like that with people who enjoy having a real conversation, whether we agree or disagree but are respectful of each other's point of view. With some of my friends we can talk and kid each other about our differences of opinion. But that will never happen on that forum! It's a pity, because you can learn a lot from talking with other people about their convictions.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    It's a great place to get a glimpse at what the extreme left is up to these days.
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    sponger wrote:
    It's a great place to get a glimpse at what the extreme left is up to these days.

or the extreme right
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    *dawn* wrote:
    or the extreme right

I never saw too much of the extreme right over there but I stay away too. Some of the people are pretty hateful over there. I have seen what people have said to get kicked off the AET so I wonder how some of the Moving Train people are still around????
  • Options
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I never saw too much of the extreme right over there but I stay away too. Some of the people are pretty hateful over there. I have seen what people have said to get kicked off the AET so I wonder how some of the Moving Train people are still around????

I was wondering the same thing? there is a lot of name calling over there!

As far as the extreme right - I'd have to say that the republican party has moved to the extreme right. it used to be that a republican stood for fiscal conservatism and limited government. Now I feel that the entire party has moved to the extreme right, some examples being all those controversial issues that have no room for movement (gay marriage, stem cell research, abortion, etc.) But - this is JMO! And I'm old - so it's changed a lot :) To me - it seems the old republican party is much more like the current libertarian party.
  • Options
    *dawn* wrote:
    Now I feel that the entire party has moved to the extreme right, some examples being all those controversial issues that have no room for movement (gay marriage, stem cell research, abortion, etc.)

That's all fine and dandy, but my point is that the MT forum is not exactly the gathering point for people who have those viewpoints so much as it is for people on the other end of the spectrum.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    That's all fine and dandy, but my point is that the MT forum is not exactly the gathering point for people who have those viewpoints so much as it is for people on the other end of the spectrum.

Really??? Assuming by "the other end of the spectrum" you mean extreme left liberals, I found it to be the opposite...honestly. As I was going through - it seemed there was just a bunch of Obama bashing. Which is why I rarely post there, even though I love a good debate.
  • Options
    *dawn* wrote:
    Really??? Assuming by "the other end of the spectrum" you mean extreme left liberals, I found it to be the opposite...honestly. As I was going through - it seemed there was just a bunch of Obama bashing. Which is why I rarely post there, even though I love a good debate.

You refer to Obama bashing as the extreme right?
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Some of the people are pretty hateful over there. I have seen what people have said to get kicked off the AET so I wonder how some of the Moving Train people are still around????
    Well, somebody who posts a lot on The Who board mentioned to me the other day that he'd been banned for something he'd posted on the Moving Train. He wasn't specific. He just told me it was a good idea to stay out of there.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."