DVD players

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I need to buy my first DVD player. I just always used my laptops DVD player, but now I think it would be wise to buy a physical one.

Are sony's the best ?

I see that some new tv's come with a DVD player built in, is this a good deal? Have you heard anything about those?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,560
    Well, my first Stand-Alone DVD was an Oritron, it died within 6 months. I bought a Samsung, which I am using now and it works ok. The laser in my PS2, a Sony product that plays DVDs, died after a year.

Personally, from now on, I don't go the cheapest route, but I get some middle-of-the-line stuff, it's bound to die eventually.

I'd say Sony is top-brand stuff, but both my PS1 and PS2 have dead lasers in them.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 734
    I need to buy my first DVD player. I just always used my laptops DVD player, but now I think it would be wise to buy a physical one.

Are sony's the best ?

I see that some new tv's come with a DVD player built in, is this a good deal? Have you heard anything about those?
    my first dvd player was a sony...but it broke. then i got a panasonic...and it broke...then a pioneer and it too broke. i have a denon now. the sony, panasonic, and pioneer were great players until they broke. my suggestion would be to do some research on the net about which players have known problems and avoid those. try browsing around the forum below for an idea of what's current and a what to consider/not consider.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=18

ds
    And no one sings me lullabyes
    And no one makes me close my eyes
    So I throw the windows wide
    And call to you across the sky....
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I have a apex that Ive had for about 5 years..it was so cheap. If it breaks Im gonna just go out an buy a new one..it doesn't owe me anything. :)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I think I own probably 5 or so DVD players and I've never had one break.

My advice would be to purchase a well known brand but not the top of the line unit. Avoid the lesser known brands and by all means *sorry for the caps, but this is important* DO NOT BUY A BUILT IN DVD PLAYER!!! If that player dies or breaks you have to get the whole thing fixed and fixing built in players is very expensive!

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you have the $ and a HDTV I would recommend getting a Blu-ray player. Plays Blu-ray plus upconverts all standard DVDs to near-HD quality. My PS3 is central movie player now. Looks incredible!
  • libragirl wrote:
    I have a apex that Ive had for about 5 years..it was so cheap. If it breaks Im gonna just go out an buy a new one..it doesn't owe me anything. :)

One of the DVD players I own is an APEX. It really isn't a bad machine, especially for the price. But, I have at least a few DVDs (legit ones, not bootlegs mind you) that just won't play on it. That is my only gripe.

I bought a Zenith in 2000 and played a million DVDs on it, and it still runs to this day. Honestly, I wouldn't put this much thought into it. You can get them for under $30 nowadays
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
    and check if it can be made multi-region..always handy ;)
  • If you've waited this long to buy a DVD player you may as well skip it completely and look towards getting an HD-DVD or Blu-ray Player.
  • But if you have to get a DVD player you might as well get one that's a recorder too though.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Sony's are good. I won't buy anything but Sony as far as DVD players go. The only problem is their load times are VERY slow, BUT they can read just about anything.

When I decided to get a progressive player, I went with a Toshiba, but the thing broke with in the first few days of owning it. Went back to Sony and after 9 years of owning DVD players, never had a Sony break.
  • I'm with LikeanOcean, All Sony! I have a Sony 400 Disc DVD changer hoooked up to a Sony Grand Wega.....never had problems with either. Had the DVD changer for about 4 years now, and it has a switch for progressive play.
    "It's all happening"
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I would suggest a SOny PS3.