Options

Are colleges paid to make your life miserable?

purple_chick79purple_chick79 Posts: 570
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
First, I get my schedule dropped because I only had 5 credits and needed at least 6 to keep my student loan. Then my A&P class and nursing informatics classes are full. Now I have to take Microbiology and Cognitive Psycology, the latter of which I don't even need. At this rate, I should become a Psych nurse, seeing I'm taking an extra class, I could just keep it going.

Then I go to the school to get my $400 worth of books, mind you it's only THREE text books and I have to get more money on my bookstore account because they only gave me $100 to start with. She, I tell her I need $400 and she says "For 2 classes?" really really rudely. I tell her what they are and I get the "oh". Idiot. Then it takes at least 24 hours for it to through, so I don't have enough to get all the books and have to come back.

Then I had books on hold at the bookstore and they can't find them. One says "They were probably put back, when were they reserved?" The policy is 24 hours. I say "UM, this morning!". I was only able to get one anyway and still had to pay $18.25 out of pocket. $118.25 for a fuckin text book.

I hate school.
Opinions are like assholes, everyones got one.

"do gay midgets come out of the cupboard"
~CreedDisease~

10/27/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    First, I get my schedule dropped because I only had 5 credits and needed at least 6 to keep my student loan. Then my A&P class and nursing informatics classes are full. Now I have to take Microbiology and Cognitive Psycology, the latter of which I don't even need. At this rate, I should become a Psych nurse, seeing I'm taking an extra class, I could just keep it going.

Then I go to the school to get my $400 worth of books, mind you it's only THREE text books and I have to get more money on my bookstore account because they only gave me $100 to start with. She, I tell her I need $400 and she says "For 2 classes?" really really rudely. I tell her what they are and I get the "oh". Idiot. Then it takes at least 24 hours for it to through, so I don't have enough to get all the books and have to come back.

Then I had books on hold at the bookstore and they can't find them. One says "They were probably put back, when were they reserved?" The policy is 24 hours. I say "UM, this morning!". I was only able to get one anyway and still had to pay $18.25 out of pocket. $118.25 for a fuckin text book.

I hate school.

hang in there pc!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    what's worse is when you hit "the real world" and you're unable to find the job you went to school for :( :mad:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329
    See your first problem is that you're a nursing major. That means you actually need text books. My last 2 years of school I probably bought maybe 5 books for my classes. Of course I was a Communications major so that might be why.

The only thing I learned in college that helped me out after I got out of school was learning how to roll a joint.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    LongRd. wrote:
    what's worse is when you hit "the real world" and you're unable to find the job you went to school for :( :mad:

AMEN to that!
  • Options
    yeah, last semester my advisor told me to take a class i didn't need to take to fill a requirement that was being filled by another class that I was taking, so that was 3 credits down the drain.

and I also reserved my books at the book store and they couldn't find them--then I ended up being charged $20 more than I was told I would be when I reserved the books, because they couldn't get one of them in used condition. I'm about ready to drop out.
  • Options
    xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    we got to rent our books... saved a ton of money that way.
    did you try to talk to the profs of the classes that are full? sometimes they let you in or put you on a waiting list.

i remember one time i didnt know if i was going back and didnt register until the end of summer (and everyone else had registered the previous semester in the spring)... i got all the classes i wanted and it was the best schedule ever! i guess ppl had dropped by then so i got in.
  • Options
    school does suck. but i wouldnt complain about $18. i mean at the end you sell the book back for less than half, youll still get your $18 back. either way you paid nothing for the book.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    See your first problem is that you're a nursing major. That means you actually need text books. My last 2 years of school I probably bought maybe 5 books for my classes. Of course I was a Communications major so that might be why.

The only thing I learned in college that helped me out after I got out of school was learning how to roll a joint.
    I've never bought a textbook. Well thats technically not true, as we were told last year we definitely NEEDED this one. I forked out the cash...never opened it.

Anyway...I don't know how it works over there really...but I was pretty much screwed financially my first year of university. My rent for my halls of residence was about £4500 and I was given a £3500 loan. Thanks for that! Took me a while to recover, but it gets better.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    "stay in school for as long as you can. for the love of god, cherish it."
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I have spent so much money on textbooks it's obscene. Never used half the fuckers either... £45 for an anatomy text I've opened twice. Then they release the reading lists months before the module starts, you buy the books in advance...and they change the syllabus!!
    Doing a health related degree makes it worse too. How many times have I bought a book two weeks before the shiny new revised 'special edition' comes out. Some of my books are outdated before I've even opened the cover.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    I dunno, I loved my college. I didn't have any problems with bureaucratic stuff.

yeah and as someone posted above, cherish your time in school. It may be hard work and expensive, but it is so much more fulfilling than...well, not being in school.
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Actually they are payed to do that. Thats what tuition is for...
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    some of the most stressful years of my life and I had all sorts of problems with money, schedules, requirements, and all that other shit that did not help the cause
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    I have spent so much money on textbooks it's obscene. Never used half the fuckers either... £45 for an anatomy text I've opened twice. Then they release the reading lists months before the module starts, you buy the books in advance...and they change the syllabus!!
    Doing a health related degree makes it worse too. How many times have I bought a book two weeks before the shiny new revised 'special edition' comes out. Some of my books are outdated before I've even opened the cover.

The solution is to not buy the book until the class starts and after that just decide if it really is necessary
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    sometimes you can find the same book at your local library too.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    I even went as far once to copying the pages that were listed in the syllabus and returning the book for a full refund.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    I even went as far once to copying the pages that were listed in the syllabus and returning the book for a full refund.
    This is brilliant!! Wish I'd thought of that. Def cheaper (or free if you have copier access) than buying. Also consider some of the online textbook options. Half.com helped me out when I was in school.
    And to reiterate....cherish your college days b/c life ain't fun on the other side :)
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    damn girl!!!! so that's where you've been hiding? the fucking bookstore??? j/k....hang in there...
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!