Options

Dublin

ucsbledbetterucsbledbetter Posts: 173
edited April 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
So I will be traveling to Ireland next week for my honeymoon. We will be spending a few days in Dublin. Is there any really cool, unique stuff to do there?

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Yeah, go see the Phil Lynott statue. I think it's Henry Street, it's just off Grafton Street, which is the main shopping area. It's the coolest thing there, get a pint then in Bruxells bar right next to the statue.
    Oh and the Guiness factory obviously, book online.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Sit in a local and watch some Irish sport with a pint of Guinness.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    so much!!! just a few of my own favourites...

st. stephen's green...for relaxation and atmosphere. also not far out of the way.

temple bar district for a maze of pubs and good times...other pubs in other areas, of course, with great music that i actually enjoyed more than the temple bar.

kilmainham gaol - if you're into irish history and the story of the 1916 uprising, this is an absolute must!!! there is a tour that is both emotional and stunning. really an overwhelming experience.

the winding stair book shop and cafe - one of my personal fave places to hang out when i go to dublin. great view of the liffey and the foot traffic on the bridges over it. good place to relax with a tea and people watch out the window.

phoenix park - beautiful and huge! quite a zoo there too...polar bears, giraffes, lions, hippos, etc.

all kinds of day trips from dublin too. :) so much more i can't think of right now...

enjoy! slainte! :D
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Yep. Obviously explore the pubs for the music (O' Sheas Merchant, and O' Donoghues). Temple Bar can be full of tourists and overpriced, so try some small, out of the way little boozers, too. As for culture, there's the National Gallery, Trinity College Library (where the Book of Kells resides), and some more pubs. Oh, and did I mention the pubs?

And there's Heineken Helen. She's unique.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Yeah, go see the Phil Lynott statue. I think it's Henry Street, it's just off Grafton Street, which is the main shopping area. It's the coolest thing there, get a pint then in Bruxells bar right next to the statue.

+1 to the gunness tour. best pint you'll ever have, after the tour. :)
  • Options
    Yep. Obviously explore the pubs for the music (O' Sheas Merchant, and O' Donoghues). Temple Bar can be full of tourists and overpriced, so try some small, out of the way little boozers, too. As for culture, there's the National Gallery, Trinity College Library (where the Book of Kells resides), and some more pubs. Oh, and did I mention the pubs?

And there's Heineken Helen. She's unique.

i'd have to agree with the out of the way pubs. i had a better time in those places.

...and how could i forget the book of kells at trinity and the library!?!?! MUST see!

good calls. :)
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    +1 to the gunness tour. best pint you'll ever have, after the tour. :)

When did they start handing out full pints in there? Usually they're as stingy as fuck and only give you a half, unless you're sly with it. I contend that the best drop of Guinness in the whole of Ireland is in Cleary's bar, Ballycroy, Co. Mayo. If you put your hand on the counter after a spillage, they'd have to send the fire brigade from Castlebar, forty miles away, to cut your hand free, it's that thick and creamy. :D
  • Options
    When did they start handing out full pints in there? Usually they're as stingy as fuck and only give you a half, unless you're sly with it. I contend that the best drop of Guinness in the whole of Ireland is in Cleary's bar, Ballycroy, Co. Mayo. If you put your hand on the counter after a spillage, they'd have to send the fire brigade from Castlebar, forty miles away, to cut your hand free, it's that thick and creamy. :D

hahah, nice! :D

yeah, it was a full one when i did the tour...might have been 5 years ago? really a great pint, but as you said, there are other places that have the quality black stuff. i shall look that one up next time i'm over. ;)

damn i'm craving a guinness now!
  • Options
    The city tour bus was good, about 16 Euros and you get to see most things, and can hop on and off as you like...it goes to the Guiness factory don't worry ;)
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    jamie uk wrote:
    Close - It's Harry Street. The rest you got right :)

But yeah, plenty to do in Dublin, although most of it revolves around boozin. If you're looking for other stuff to do, maybe get the DART out to Howth and take a walk around Howth head. When I was a kid they used to do boat tours out to Ireland's eye, which is a small island off dun Laoghaire. Not sure if they still do it, but it's a fun day of wandering about.
    You should go up to Christ Church Cathedral and sample Burdocks Fish n' Chips too. Dublinia is around there which is historical museum type thingy about Medieval Dublin. It's pretty interesting.
    If you're in town, look for the Bankers pub. It's a tiny little place just off Dame Street. It's great.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    quote]
    ha, I remember I made that mistake when I was there, there is a Henry street, I was walking up and down it going "where the fuck is Phil?"...hours later, after I'd given up, I stumbled on him hiding in Harry Street :D the sneaky Irish focker! Had a great pint, and chat with 'stereotypical friendly' Irishman in Bruxells then :D
    I loved Dublin.
  • Options
    i rented a bike and went out to howth for the day on one of my times in dublin. beautiful. very nice suggestion. :) i'll add a +1 to that one too. ;)
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Temple Bar was fookin' awful- then again, we went there on Paddys weekend. Bruxelles was awesome. Whelans felt like home. This small one a block down from Whelans felt sooooooooo right.

If you're not hearing at least one of the words 'fookin', 'grand', 'fair play' and 'craic' being used like in every other sentence, then you're in a tourist trap and you should walk away.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    Temple Bar was fookin' awful- then again, we went there on Paddys weekend. Bruxelles was awesome. Whelans felt like home. This small one a block down from Whelans felt sooooooooo right.

If you're not hearing at least one of the words 'fookin', 'grand', 'fair play' and 'craic' being used like in every other sentence, then you're in a tourist trap and you should walk away.
    With the exception of craic, I use those words on a daily basis :p
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    so much!!! just a few of my own favourites...

st. stephen's green...for relaxation and atmosphere. also not far out of the way.

temple bar district for a maze of pubs and good times...other pubs in other areas, of course, with great music that i actually enjoyed more than the temple bar.

kilmainham gaol - if you're into irish history and the story of the 1916 uprising, this is an absolute must!!! there is a tour that is both emotional and stunning. really an overwhelming experience.

the winding stair book shop and cafe - one of my personal fave places to hang out when i go to dublin. great view of the liffey and the foot traffic on the bridges over it. good place to relax with a tea and people watch out the window.

phoenix park - beautiful and huge! quite a zoo there too...polar bears, giraffes, lions, hippos, etc.

all kinds of day trips from dublin too. :) so much more i can't think of right now...

enjoy! slainte! :D
    All great suggestions there... Kilmainham Gaol definitely :o . The bus tour is excellent... if you're a wee bit hungover one day and it's a nice day, sit on top and let the guide do all the hard work then just decide which, if any stop you wanna get off at.

I'll also agree with getting the dart... but I would suggest going to Bray (the far end of the line... the dart is the train by the way)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    A walk around Temple Bar is nice in the evening, there's usually a few buskers and street performers around, and its not too much of a tourist season yet so it should be grand for ye :)

Howth is a nice place, and if you like, get the DART from there to Bray, tis a nice journey - just don't get out in Bray ;)

Whelans on Wexford St. or Foggy Dew in Temple Bar for a Sunday evening pint. For food, try the Epicurian off Liffey St., The Gin Palace right beside there, Eddie Rockets (can I get a hell yeah?!) for all your thrashy food needs which can be found in various locations around the city. If you're looking to do some shopping, try Henry St., Grafton St., and the surrounding side streets or head out to Blanchardstown or Liffey Valley Centres. Also, take a walk around Smithfield and back into the city centre, its really quiet and lovely there.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    Jennytree wrote:
    A walk around Temple Bar is nice in the evening, there's usually a few buskers and street performers around, and its not too much of a tourist season yet so it should be grand for ye :)
    I like Temple bar at night, especially during the week :) but yep, I think there's a wonderful atmosphere in there during the afternoon.

There's the market too... and some great, yet overpriced eating places in Temple bar.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I agree with not getting off at Bray. The place is a kip.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257

But yeah, plenty to do in Dublin, although most of it revolves around boozin. If you're looking for other stuff to do, maybe get the DART out to Howth and take a walk around Howth head. When I was a kid they used to do boat tours out to Ireland's eye, which is a small island off dun Laoghaire. Not sure if they still do it, but it's a fun day of wandering about.
    You should go up to Christ Church Cathedral and sample Burdocks Fish n' Chips too. Dublinia is around there which is historical museum type thingy about Medieval Dublin. It's pretty interesting.
    If you're in town, look for the Bankers pub. It's a tiny little place just off Dame Street. It's great.

i LOVE the bankers! great place! right opposite the Central Bank? and not to be confused with "The Bank" pub (massive pretentious place just up the street)!

another good pub is the Old Stand on corner of Wicklow and South Williams Streets.

There's a walking night-time tour that takes you around Dublin Castle, Christchurch, the old CityWalls, and St Aodhans church & graveyard (old writing spot of Bram Stokers apparently)
    a trip into the IFI is always decent too.
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001

this sounds heavenly! seriously... we need to travel togehter more!! :p:D
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    One of the more unique places you could go would be the Centre Stage café in Temple Bar. It's sort of an artsy place, but they do the best Irish fry-up I've ever eaten. Plus, the two guys who run it are gay, and they give free food to guys who "flirt" with them.:p

Then, after hours, it turns into some sort of transgender caberet show, which I've only ever seen from the outside, walking past. Nothing if not unique.;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Bwalker545Bwalker545 Posts: 162
    I'll be hijacking these suggestions! Thanks, Ill be around the 19-21 anything special going on?
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • Options
    Magus wrote:
    I'll be hijacking these suggestions! Thanks, Ill be around the 19-21 anything special going on?
    This month? Awww, you miss Bruce Springsteen by a day
  • Options
    Bwalker545Bwalker545 Posts: 162
    Damn that would have been cool...
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • Options
    this sounds heavenly! seriously... we need to travel togehter more!! :p:D

you'd love it! :) ...ireland - on the list! :D
  • Options
    if anyone in Dublin is looking for something to do tonight, an amazing Canadian band called Wintersleep is playing at the Button Factory.....
    http://www.wintersleep.com/tour.htm

go. you won't be disappointed. :D

wow! our list just keeps growing! ireland, sweden, croatia, vegas, *cough*MANSFIELD*cough*... ;):p
  • Options
    Make that top of the bloody list :rolleyes: :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Make that top of the bloody list :rolleyes: :p

i miss you too, hells! *muah!* :p:D
  • Options
    top of the list, then! :)

+1,000,000 to ceg's post on wintersleep! not be missed!!!
  • Options
    IampatriotIampatriot Posts: 87
    So I will be traveling to Ireland next week for my honeymoon. We will be spending a few days in Dublin. Is there any really cool, unique stuff to do there?

Thanks

We're going to Ireland for 2 weeks next month for our honeymoon also! Give us some tips when you get back!
    I will feel....alive....as long as I'm freeeeeeee...