Options

Why 10c Is Better Than Other Fan Clubs

tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
edited April 2008 in The Porch
I've been buying plenty of concert tickets these past few weeks, and here's a few things I've witnessed:

Death Cab for Cutie - $30/year
Comparable benefits (vinyl single, presale tickets, etc), but costs $10 more/year than 10c

REM - $10/year
I managed to guess the fan club presale password (it was the new album title) and bought tickets without any hassle. 6 tickets total. While I'm happy, I'm sure than anyone in the fan club with access to presale tickets would be pissed someone snuck in and grabbed some.

Stone Temple Pilots - $45/year
I'm furious about this. Ticket announcement came 3 days before the presale began. Their website has been updated and broken for the most part all week. And after finding out yesterday that the presale is today, I managed to snag 4 tickets... for General Admission (which I found out once I tried buying tickets). I thought $45 would at least get a fan club-blocked section or something. $150 over face value gives you VIP seats which promise you in the first ten rows... but how would that work in GA settings?

I gotta give credit for 10c for keeping ticket sales on their own internal system, and the fact they've worked with TM to open more for MSG (even though I'm not going). The club fees are cheap, and there's much worse clubs handling tickets (and announcements) than them.

Hopefully Pearl Jam will swing through the midwest (ALPINE! CHICAGO!) so I can take advantage of the great membership benefits we have.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Way to get REM fan club tickets when you aren't even in the fan club. Stand up guy you are.
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    it's not.
  • Options
    -they have a phone number with an actual human on the other end who, in my experience, is there to help you in any way he can.

-they send you a [Christmas] gift every year! even though it usually ends up as a March bday gift for me, it's still awesome, and almost always better than any other gift i receive.

-Deep magazine and other publications are always graphically beautiful, with input and photos from the band.

-They have cool contests that make us get all creative

-They give us first dibs at tickets! (Just because some got shut out of the hottest venue in the world, 10c still did their best! i got shut out of the Vic--shit happens!) And when their best isn't good enough, and all the whiners come out, they give you yet ANOTHER chance to score tix before the general pop, and to sit in front of them.
    "Find myself singing the same songs every day....
    ones that make me feel good when things behind the smile ain't ok...." -Hoon
  • Options
    Way to get REM fan club tickets when you aren't even in the fan club. Stand up guy you are.

Good point, someone who would actaully admit to doing that here would be tarred and feathered for sure.

Here is a good question though....$45 bucks a year for the freaking STP fanclub?!?!?!? What have you been getting from them the last several years to justify hanging around there?!?!?! (that is not directed at you but anyone who is actively in the club).
  • Options

Hey, I thought I'd give it a shot when I was looking at the Ticketmaster page for public sale info. Not my fault it's as easy as knowing their new album title. Yeah, I'm a dick for buying them, but if their fan club cared more they'd make it tougher for people who aren't a member. Besides, the seats were still nowhere near what 10c offers at the same venue.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Good point, someone who would actaully admit to doing that here would be tarred and feathered for sure.

Here is a good question though....$45 bucks a year for the freaking STP fanclub?!?!?!? What have you been getting from them the last several years to justify hanging around there?!?!?! (that is not directed at you but anyone who is actively in the club).

I think the STP fan club was just started for the reunion. They probably saw how much The Police were making from it and wanted to cash in too by using it to sell members even more expensive tickets.
  • Options

Just joined this week. Lots of people wanting access to their presales either got NO chance (as in, no presale seats) or they got general admission seating (to some, that might be a great thing). They give you a $30 coupon for their online store, but all they only have 4 shirts, for preorder, for $30.
  • Options
    NeilJam wrote:
    I think the STP fan club was just started for the reunion. They probably saw how much The Police were making from it and wanted to cash in too by using it to sell members even more expensive tickets.

Good call, you know Scotty needs his "cough"nose"cough" candy. Honestly, if the VR thing wasn't working out for him then they probably all need the dough.

STP Fans- Don't blast me since I actually dig them a lot (seen them live several times but you know its true!)
  • Options
    Integrity.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options

It's really not a big deal. If someone guesses the password, I say well done.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    NeilJam wrote:

Yea it seems the STP fan club is just for money. When i went on their new site a week ago i was very surprised to see they have a fan club when they JUST reunited. $45 a year on a completely new fan club? I'll pass.

The 10C really is a bargain for what you get, and I give them props for keeping thir business "organic" where you have a real person on the phone, and a completely independant way of distributing tickets. not to mention they have their own building. On the other hand, that also makes it a real hassle for buying tickets.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    who joins the STP fan club in the first place?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444

The actual REM fanclub presale on Musictoday required a unique password/code. They then had a musictoday presale for members of their online community, and that password was available to anyone who signed-up on their website, so that pat you gave yourself on the back was a bit premature!
    :)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    Yea it seems the STP fan club is just for money. When i went on their new site a week ago i was very surprised to see they have a fan club when they JUST reunited. $45 a year on a completely new fan club? I'll pass.

The 10C really is a bargain for what you get, and I give them props for keeping thir business "organic" where you have a real person on the phone, and a completely independant way of distributing tickets. not to mention they have their own building. On the other hand, that also makes it a real hassle for buying tickets.

Any fanclub started when a band reunites is just a way to get money out of people who want to get tickets from a presale.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Ten Club is the best fan club I have been a part of due to the benefits. I pay $100 annually for the Rolling Stones fan club and do not get half of the benefits.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.