Options

My house is being attacked by flies

Fighting HellfishFighting Hellfish Posts: 3,166
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
It's 20 degrees outside and I'm being overrun with flies....WTF? I keep sucking them up with the shop vac, and they keep reappearing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    it might be time to move all those bodies out of the basement.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    I blame Terminix. I used them for a year, cancelled in July. they still came in Sept, and demanded payment. I agreed to pay them, but reminded them that I cancelled. then they came again last week. This time I refused to pay them. Those assholes probably planted some flies somewhere outside where they could easily get in. I'm only half-joking
  • Options
    It's 20 degrees outside and I'm being overrun with flies....WTF? I keep sucking them up with the shop vac, and they keep reappearing.

Check the shop vac for holes ...hehe
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    JwmccJwmcc Posts: 451
    Flies are bad, but right now the plague in my apartment is mice. They weren't showing up at all in November and December so I figured it would be a nice winter, guess they're making up for lost time now.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,078
    That reminds me of a guy my husband knew. He put down chicken shit on his lawn for fertilizer---in a few days his lawn was "moving" and soon he had TONS of flies all over his lawn!!!!!!!!!! true story -- crazy desert dwellers.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Jwmcc wrote:
    Flies are bad, but right now the plague in my apartment is mice. They weren't showing up at all in November and December so I figured it would be a nice winter, guess they're making up for lost time now.

I don't feel quite so bad now. Thanks
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148

Your place is more than likely possessed! :eek: :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,270
    Do you live in Amityville?

If the house tells you to "GET OUT!!", do it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    The house I lived at in Middle School had the same problem. They would get inside the little thing that goes over your lightbulb in your room and would buzz around and I had no idea how they got in! It was at night too, and during the day it was so bad i would never be in my room.

The first time I ever heard Bugs I knew exactly what Ed was talking about.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,352
    Ruuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Anyone ever see Joe's Apartment? That was pretty much my first place.
  • Options
    acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    take a shower.
    I am sure hey will disapear.:)
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    I blame Terminix. I used them for a year, cancelled in July. they still came in Sept, and demanded payment. I agreed to pay them, but reminded them that I cancelled. then they came again last week. This time I refused to pay them. Those assholes probably planted some flies somewhere outside where they could easily get in. I'm only half-joking

try calling a local guy or spraying yourself. go to home depot and buy the best stuff available with a pump spray. check for any openings, cracks, etc. and seal them, especially in the basement and attic.

this is a good site for bugs:

http://www.terminix.com/information/pestlibrary/?fuseaction=category&pestCategory=Occasional%20Invaders
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• Options
    Thanks. I have sprayed for other bugs, but I wasn't aware there was a spray just for flies. I assumed that since they move around so much (AND FLY) that they would get around most spray. i have learned that if you blast them with Lysol, it fucks them up pretty good.
  • Options
    This guys laptop is being attacked by kitty...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=2469928627183918026
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Thanks. I have sprayed for other bugs, but I wasn't aware there was a spray just for flies. I assumed that since they move around so much (AND FLY) that they would get around most spray. i have learned that if you blast them with Lysol, it fucks them up pretty good.

WHen we first moved into our house (after closing of course) I was bringing some boxes into the basement and noticed about 6 flies buzzing around, then noticed the floor was loaded with little "brown rice" turned out to be baby flies and I vacuumed all that shit up....I was friggin pissed. I ended up tossing away all of the throw rugs that were down there and bleached the tiles. Once in awhile we get a few in the basement and a couple make there way to the main floor. The is some stuff from RAID- Flying insect killer or something like that and works well. If you get a good shot at one flying by, he will be on the floor in a few seconds.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    are they flies of unusual size???

if so - it may be a relative ala Kafka!

:o
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I hate to be the one to tell you... I think you've got a dead animal in your house. Maybe in the walls... maybe underneath... maybe in one of the plumbing vent pipes.
    Or... you got some rotting leftovers from last Summer's Picnic tucked away somewhere other than the refridgerator or freezer.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I hate to be the one to tell you... I think you've got a dead animal in your house. Maybe in the walls... maybe underneath... maybe in one of the plumbing vent pipes.
    Or... you got some rotting leftovers from last Summer's Picnic tucked away somewhere other than the refridgerator or freezer.

Funny that you would mention that. One of our guinea pigs died last week. But I buried in the backyard that night. I'm starting to think they're laying eggs or however flies reproduce, in a plant. They kept popping up in the kitchen, so I cleaned like a madman. I moved a plant into the bathroom, then they started popping up there. It's weird though. It's not like there will be dozens at once. It seems like one pops up every hour or so.
  • Options
    WHen we first moved into our house (after closing of course) I was bringing some boxes into the basement and noticed about 6 flies buzzing around, then noticed the floor was loaded with little "brown rice" turned out to be baby flies and I vacuumed all that shit up....I was friggin pissed. I ended up tossing away all of the throw rugs that were down there and bleached the tiles. Once in awhile we get a few in the basement and a couple make there way to the main floor. The is some stuff from RAID- Flying insect killer or something like that and works well. If you get a good shot at one flying by, he will be on the floor in a few seconds.

That sucks. Unfortunately, I know the feeling. This isn't our first bug attack. We've been in the house for over 2 years. last spring, when it just started to warm up, we got hit by swarming termites. They don't do any damage, but they're still disgusting. They show up in the 1000's. They swarmed for 8 days. It was a nightmare. I'll have to get some of that Flying Insect Spray. Spray down the bathroom and kitchen pretty good.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I always found that vinyl L.P's were good for swatting flies with. I lived in a room in Brighton for a year and became something akin to a samurai when it came to fly-swatting. My floor of my room was covered with books and dead flies. Oh to be back on the dole again! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    They seem to have gone to bed for the night. I'll be putting my shop vac and Lysol away for the evening.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    The only time we've been overrun with flies is when something the cats have dragged in is hidden and undiscovered. ;)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."