• Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins. This guy will change your life
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited July 2021
    This book for sure changed a number of things in my life.  I know he doesn't embrace being inspirational (although his stance on this has changed somewhat in the years since releasing the book) Goggins was certainly an inspiration to me.  He is a fucking beast in the best sense of the term.
    The most impactful book I've read in the last ten years, at least.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    This book for sure changed a number of things in my life.  I know he doesn't embrace being inspirational (although his stance on this has changed somewhat in the years since releasing the book) Goggins was certainly an inspiration to me.  He is a fucking beast in the best sense of the term.
    The most impactful book I've read in the last ten years, at least.
    100% agree with you. I'm training for a marathon right now and all I hear when I'm tired is him yelling shit at me lol. Don't stop when you're tired stop when you're done...awesome
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Been "the next book" in line since the new year, but I kept leapfrogging it for other books.  Now, I finally started.
    Read originally back when it came out (early 90s I believe) but not since.  Loved it, then.
    Starting to get really good a few hundred pages into the re-read.  Years away from visiting a Clive Barker-created world is never a good thing, to me.  His imagination and world-building is totally his own - and the best, imo.

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 691
    Jane Jacobs that’s a blast from the past.  I reread it a few years ago.  Some parts still remain true today and others have not aged as well.  Hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    ST66483 said:
    Jane Jacobs that’s a blast from the past.  I reread it a few years ago.  Some parts still remain true today and others have not aged as well.  Hope you enjoy it.
    I stumbled upon it pretty randomly. It’s not normally something I would be into but I heard such great things about it. I moved to Philly about 2 years ago after living in the middle of nowhere for my first 26 years of life. It’s fascinating to read some of the things she says as if they are controversial (because apparently they were at the time) when they seem so obvious. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Been "the next book" in line since the new year, but I kept leapfrogging it for other books.  Now, I finally started.
    Read originally back when it came out (early 90s I believe) but not since.  Loved it, then.
    Starting to get really good a few hundred pages into the re-read.  Years away from visiting a Clive Barker-created world is never a good thing, to me.  His imagination and world-building is totally his own - and the best, imo.

May check that out. He killed me with one of his books. I actually had to throw it out so no one else read it! I never did that before.  'Mister B. Gone'. It is written directly to the reader. I may get it again and try to finish it if i get enough 'guts'.
  • Options
    Hahaha.  I've never read that.
    His greatest work, by far, is The Great and Secret Show 
    Probably the book I've reread the most times.

It is one of the strangest stories but it is totally amazing.  So complex and fun, to me, that every time I read it I find I've forgotten how much I enjoy some of the plot points.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    F Me, you choad!

I remember sitting on a bench outside the dormitory reading Imajica when my college crush finally acknowledged my existence. We talked a bit about the book, I think. I don’t know. I can’t remember. This woman was really interacting with me? 

What I’ll always remember, though, are what were her parting words were: “Well, have fun in your fantasy world!”

That one still stings. What a novice!

She’s in a pretty successful rock band now. And by all subsequent college interactions, she’s likely still an awesome human being making this world a better place. 

And I still have fun my fantasy worlds, thank you very much. It’s nearly impossible to do so otherwise. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    That makes me a choad?  Lol.

Did you enjoy the book?
  • Options
    That makes me a choad?  Lol.

Did you enjoy the book?
    Yeah. Love Barker. 

My daughter is already a fan, too. 

I have to keep her away from my Barker books until she’s a little older, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yeah, he is a pretty trippy dude.
  • Options
    I’m going to check out her Barker books. So weird to think of him writing YA stuff. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    dankind said:
    F Me, you choad!

I remember sitting on a bench outside the dormitory reading Imajica when my college crush finally acknowledged my existence. We talked a bit about the book, I think. I don’t know. I can’t remember. This woman was really interacting with me? 

What I’ll always remember, though, are what were her parting words were: “Well, have fun in your fantasy world!”

She’s in a pretty successful rock band now. And by all subsequent college interactions, she’s likely still an awesome human being making this world a better place. 

And I still have fun my fantasy worlds, thank you very much. It’s nearly impossible to do so otherwise. 
    Anybody gonna venture a guess?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    dankind said:
    F Me, you choad!

She is pretty 🔥

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Malroth said:
    dankind said:
    F Me, you choad!

She is pretty 🔥

"antics included covering the audience in spit, real blood and candy"-  Wikipedia

And she's pretty.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,790
    Tough loss. I'm so sorry. If you were only reading Kafka things could have metamorphed into something completely different. Seems like someone covered in blood would appreciate barker.
  • Options
    I have one of Jack Off Jill’s albums — no shit.  

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

I'd never heard of them but did some googling and that was what I got back.  Is Cum Dumpster a good tune?
    :lol:  
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,852
    American War by Omar El Akkad - Very cool so far, dystopian future book. Goes into another American civil war and what the country could look like 100 years from now, climate change, etc. Very realistic that you could actually see this happening.

Next up is Cats Cradle - Vonnegut

Love this thread for the ideas, might have to check out Barker.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    I'm re-reading on of my favorite Rollins books, Broken Summers.  They're all intense of course.  This one is a double dose of intense.  Lovin' it again!
    Broken Summers - Kindle edition by Rollins Henry Arts amp Photography  Kindle eBooks  Amazoncom

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Erik LarsonThe Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz

51187948 sx318 sy475
  • Options
    He is so good.
    Let us know how that one is....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    dankind said:

I'd never heard of them but did some googling and that was what I got back.  Is Cum Dumpster a good tune?
    :lol:  
    a little salty in its delivery, but ultimately satisfying. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    edited July 2021
    Amazoncom How to Stop Time A Novel eBook Haig Matt Kindle Store
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465

really, really liking this book. grabbed it at the library, on a whim.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16