Do you remember that odd uncle? - FBI seeks leads in D.B. Cooper case

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/promos/wirepicks/story/242749.html

FBI seeks leads in D.B. Cooper case
Agency renews plea for help solving mystery that began with 1971 jump
DON HAMILTON; The Columbian
Published: January 1st, 2008 07:26 AM

VANCOUVER – FBI agent Larry Carr has this special theory of how to solve the D.B. Cooper mystery.

Maybe, he said, some clever hydrologist armed with satellite technology can trace the Cooper cash found on the Columbia River in 1980 back to the very creek or stream where it fell from the sky on that fabled night in 1971. That might lead to the Cooper corpse itself.

On Monday, the FBI renewed its plea for help from the public in solving the case in a news release that took the top spot Monday on the FBI Web site.

Carr, a special agent in the Seattle office – and an avowed D.B. Cooper buff – took over the Cooper case file last year and has been ratcheting up its profile.

“It’s a mystery, frankly,” the FBI said Monday. “We’ve run down thousands of leads and considered all sorts of scenarios. And amateur sleuths have put forward plenty of their own theories. Yet the case remains unsolved. Would we still like to get our man? Absolutely.”

On Nov. 24, 1971, Thanksgiving eve, the man who bought a ticket as Dan Cooper hijacked a Northwest Orient flight from Portland to Seattle. He collected four parachutes and $200,000 in ransom money in Seattle and then leapt out the back stairwell as the plane flew south somewhere over Ariel, Cowlitz County.

He hasn’t been heard from since – a mystery that has fueled 36 years of conspiracy theories and crazed speculation.

The Monday news release included evidence photos from the FBI files, including photos of Cooper’s skinny black clip-on necktie, a parachute he left behind on the plane and a few of the decaying $20 bills found near Frenchman’s Bar.

In the account Monday, Carr discussed a few of his working theories on Cooper and his leap into infamy.

• He was no expert skydiver. At first, the FBI saw him as some brave and brilliant jumper. After a few years, they realized this scenario was all wrong. “No experienced parachutist would have jumped in the pitch-black night, in the rain, with a 200-mile-an-hour wind in his face, wearing loafers and a trench coat,” Carr said. “It was simply too risky.”

• He had no help on the ground. If he was meeting someone, why didn’t he give the flight crew explicit directions on a route? His instructions were vague: Fly to Mexico, although they later settled on Reno. He also chose a lousy place to jump — over the high Cascades and not over jump-friendly flatlands, and couldn’t see the ground when he jumped because of a cloud cover at 5,000 feet.

• Descriptions of Cooper are reliable. The two flight attendants who spent the most time with him on the plane were interviewed separately, on the same night and in separate cities and gave nearly identical descriptions, Carr said. “They both said he was 5-foot 10 to 6-foot, 170 to 180 pounds, in his mid-40s and had brown eyes,” Carr said. “People on the ground who came into contact with him also gave very similar descriptions.”

• His identity remains unknown.

Duane Weber, who claimed on his deathbed to be Cooper, was ruled out by DNA testing. Kenneth Christiansen of Bonney Lake, named in a magazine article this fall, didn’t match the physical description. Richard McCoy, who died in 1974, also didn’t match the description and had Thanksgiving dinner the next afternoon with his family in Utah, unlikely for someone who’d jumped into a roaring storm only hours before.

Carr inherits a portfolio handled by many agents before him. And they agree that Cooper never survived the jump.

Still, anyone with information is asked to e-mail the FBI at fbise@leo.gov.

Carr thinks the public can help.

“Maybe a hydrologist can use the latest technology to trace the $5,800 in ransom money found in 1980 to where Cooper landed upstream,” he said.

“Or maybe someone just remembers that odd uncle.”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    god help me. not again. I live in the Pacific NW (as you do, Animal) and it makes me nuts when they dredge this story up every year or so.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    D.B Cooper was 43 when we first heard his name
    47 miles away from where he fell down to his fame
    But he told me that the hardest part wasn't really jumping out of the plane
    It was spending the night watching those lights
    Shine through the pouring rain

They had a man hunt that next morning like nothing I had ever seen
    I was only 8 years old at the time watching on a TV screen
    They were saying he was never gonna make it now, now that daylight had set in
    But later that night they were shining those lights
    Down on the mountain again

Not far away from the City of Roses
    They all watched those lights up through the rain
    For D.B. Cooper

The cops blocked off all the exit roads and turned loose all of the hounds
    They even dragged the river up a couple of times to see if he had drowned
    With all those men working overtime they swore they would brin him down
    But a parachute and a few hundred dollars
    Was all that they ever found

They all watched those lights up through the rain

Now some people say that he died up there somewhere in the rain and the wind
    Other people say that he got away but his girlfriend did him in
    The law men say if he is out there someday they're gonna bring him in
    As for me, I hope they never see
    D.B. Cooper again

A light shined from a house out in the rain
    It was D.B. Cooper
    Drinking champagne
  • Options
    god help me. not again. I live in the Pacific NW (as you do, Animal) and it makes me nuts when they dredge this story up every year or so.
    I love it when they do this. It is one of the coolest FBI mysteries in the Pacific NW, in my opinion.

BTW, I am D.B. Cooper. :D
  • Options
    anothercloneanotherclone Posts: 1,688
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I love it when they do this. It is one of the coolest FBI mysteries in the Pacific NW, in my opinion.

BTW, I am D.B. Cooper. :D

where abouts in Tacoma are you? :D:p
  • Options
    where abouts in Tacoma are you? :D:p
    In the North End - near UPS.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,664
    I remember lots of odd "uncles", but not that one.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I remember seeing this case on unsolved mysteries about 20 years ago. I can't believe they are still obsessed with solving it. They're pretty sure the guy didn't survive the jump. Don't they have terrorist cells in the United States to look for?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The D.B. Cooper episode of NewsRadio was one of their funniest. Jimmy James was claiming that he was Cooper. And Matthew could never get out "D.B. Cooper" - instead he would say "Doobie Keebler"!!!

Ah fun stuff!!

Yeah, they have bigger fish to fry - but they still want their man in this case.

Living here in the PNW, this has been like folk lore my entire life. I am personally fascinated by the case. :)
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    HAHAHA...I say, good for him!! :D ...nobody got hurt, right?!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper