Options

Backhanded compliments, foot in mouth and other wording mishaps

Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Ever say something and just as it's done spewing out of your mouth realize, "Uh, oh! I just totally stuck my foot in my mouth."?

I do it constantly.

I also tend to use terms where I mean exactly what I'm saying, but am completely surprised people are offended or shocked. This happened to me in a different thread earlier this week, but I'd rather use this as an example:

I'm being trained at my first above-the-table job and am trying to help with a situation when we realize there is no solution, so I say "Yeah, we're pretty much screwed."
My trainer starts laughing and can't believe I just said that. I'm left confused, thinking, "What? It's not like I said we're fucked" :o

Backhanded compliments, I think(?), are generally intended to belittle a person. However, sometimes I think it's an innocent misfiring in the brain.

Example: I say to my husband, "How the hell are you so smart, it's not like you read or anything?!" Now my husband has been with me for nine years and knows just to wait for me to :eek: and start backpeddling. :p

As often as people get hung up on semantics around here I'm sure some of you have some examples. Please share.

Thanks. :D
Walking can be a real trip
"We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    this happened just the other day at the grocery store. I brought two reuseable bags with me but I had a bag of romaine that wasn't really going to fit into one of the bags. so the guy that was bagging my stuff said "do you want this in paper or plastic or do you want me to just shove it into one of your bags?"
    I had been talking to the cashier and just kinda half-way heard him so i turned to him and said "You can shove it" :o
    as soon as it flew outta my mouth i knew i had better explain that "I didn't mean that like it sounded."

judging by the look on the face of the lady behind me, that was the only part of the convo that she heard

at least the guy laughed and said that he had people tell him to do worse things :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    ^^^^ That is hilarious. Seriously, I'm cracking up. Thanks! :)
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    :confused: nope I don't think I understand! :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you