Remake of Footloose??? NOOOOOO!!!!!

Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
edited January 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Zac Efron Brings Home the Bacon in Footloose Redo
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Zac-Efron-Brings/800018364

Let's hear it for the boy! Paramount is developing a full-blown musical remake of 1984's Footloose, with High School Musical cutie Zac Efron picking up where Kevin Bacon's be-bopping, Walkman-toting Ren left off. HSM helmer Kenny Ortega is in talks to both choreograph and direct the redo.

The original Footloose, for those so young you sicken me, concerned a rebellious newcomer's arrival in a small town that has banned dancing. (And no, it's not where Ashlee Simpson lives.)

Keving Bacon responds:

While speaking with Kevin Bacon about this Monday's episode of The Closer, where he once again directed wife Kyra Sedgwick, TVGuide.com asked for the actor's thoughts on the recently announced Footloose remake starring High School Musical's Zac Efron. "I've heard about it," says Bacon, "and it's great, but of course the truth is they're not really remaking the movie that I was in. They're remaking the Broadway musical [which premiered on the planks in 1998]."

In other words, what we have here is a situation exactly à la Hairspray, says Bacon. "You had a movie that was not a musical becoming a Broadway musical, and they make a movie of that."

Nonetheless, does Bacon find a certain added validation in that something he did so long ago keeps on dancing? With a near-chuckle, he answers, "Um, I can find validation other ways."

Look for my complete Q&A with Bacon in Monday's Interviews & Features.
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-News-Blog/Todays-News/Kevin-Bacon-Clears/800020150
Walking can be a real trip
"We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• small town becksmall town beck Posts: 6,691
    Bad idea!!

That movie was a classic... well a classic 80's movie.
  • When they remake Footloose... you know Hollywood is dead.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    who exactly has been asking for this?
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Well, like Kevin Bacon said, they are not remaking the movie he was in.
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Well, like Kevin Bacon said, they are not remaking the movie he was in.
    Until they make a movie based on the remake of the musical based on the movie. You know they will.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i had an obsession with footloose in the 80s, seeing it 12 times at the cinema, and when i heard this news i was a bit taken aback, shall we say. however, my zac efron loving 9 year old is thrilled that this is happening and asks me at least once a week when its coming out. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,797
    yea i heard about this awhile back. There's also talk of a 21 Jump Street movie with Jonah Hill from Superbad.
    I miss igotid88
    i had an obsession with footloose in the 80s, seeing it 12 times at the cinema, and when i heard this news i was a bit taken aback, shall we say. however, my zac efron loving 9 year old is thrilled that this is happening and asks me at least once a week when its coming out. :)

12 times in the cinema?? A better choice still than the girl who went on my bus in high school that had seen Dirty Dancing like 37 times :confused: :eek:
  • 12 times in the cinema?? A better choice still than the girl who went on my bus in high school that had seen Dirty Dancing like 37 times :confused: :eek:
    I'd take "The Swayz" over Kevin Bacon any day. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    12 times in the cinema?? A better choice still than the girl who went on my bus in high school that had seen Dirty Dancing like 37 times :confused: :eek:

well it wasnt primarily for the story or KB that i saw it so much. my fave band at the time, a local band called moving pictures, did one of the songs, never. you know ren's big dance scene when he thought he was alone and ariel says ha not in this town, theres eyes everywhere... oh yeah im a footloose geek. :rolleyes: :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Great idea! :rolleyes:

That's about the lamest idea I've ever heard. Talk about sacreligous. What's next, "Legend of Billie Jean"?? :D
    gabers wrote:
    Great idea! :rolleyes:

That's about the lamest idea I've ever heard. Talk about sacreligous. What's next, "Legend of Billie Jean"?? :D

OMG I loved "Legend of Billie Jean"!!! I thought I was the only one that remembered the movie... and the song Pat Benatar did for it!!
    I'd take "The Swayz" over Kevin Bacon any day. :D

Ugh... no offense as I have read the covers of tabloids(at grocery store) that were saying he was quite ill but I could never stand the guy. To each their own, you can have "The Swayz" ;)
  • Ugh... no offense as I have read the covers of tabloids(at grocery store) that were saying he was quite ill but I could never stand the guy. To each their own, you can have "The Swayz" ;)
    :eek: How can you turn this down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4I7i2mSAI? Pancreatic cancer or not, you won't find a better song in this post! :D
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    OMG I loved "Legend of Billie Jean"!!! I thought I was the only one that remembered the movie... and the song Pat Benatar did for it!!

There's a third one right here. I love that movie and the song.
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    :eek: How can you turn this down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4I7i2mSAI? Pancreatic cancer or not, you won't find a better song in this post! :D

:eek:

Why would you do that me? :confused:

:p
  • :eek:

Why would you do that me? :confused:

:p
    The worst part is, I'm not even being ironic. I really do love that song. :o:D
  • Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312

Sadly I missed the midnight showing at a local theater last year. I would love to see the original on the big screen.

It is another 80's classic :)
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    ick...
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632

4th one!

:)..that movie is a classic.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,797
    igotid88 wrote:
    yea i heard about this awhile back. There's also talk of a 21 Jump Street movie with Jonah Hill from Superbad.

I was right
    I miss igotid88