Options

Any Birders? :)

jamainiacjamainiac Posts: 429
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I know Carol is a bird watcher :) anyone else here into birds??

I'm absolutely fascinated with Hummingbirds... always have been! I'm amazed that I've been very successful at attracting them to our apartment in the middle of Seattle!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/NewBestFriend/Nov2707.jpg

This Guy is 'The Sentinal'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/NewBestFriend/thesentinal.jpg

... it's funny that they're so territorial. This little guy will sit in the courtyard... keeping an eye on both feeders I put up... and 'divebomb' anyone who tries to feed from them while he's 'on duty' :p

This is a series of shots of 'The Sentinal'... taken within about a 15 minute span. It's amazing how their colors change/show as the light refracts :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/NewBestFriend/HummerShowDigZoomDec0507.jpg

P.S. Dear Santa... if you're reading this... I have been 'very good' this year and I would LOVE a superfancy telephoto lens for my camera ;)
Exercising her will to lose control...
she lets go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    i love hummingbirds. I only see them in the summertime though.

look how LITTLE the babies are!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjT4mKJzc4

My sister who passed away in Oct 06 LOVED Them and had lots of porcelain ones, etc. The next spring a hummingbird built a nest (1st time ever) on a windchime that my passed away sister gave to another sister. I thought that was kinda cool
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    i love hummingbirds. I only see them in the summertime though.

look how LITTLE the babies are!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjT4mKJzc4

My sister who passed away in Oct 06 LOVED Them and had lots of porcelain ones, etc. The next spring a hummingbird built a nest (1st time ever) on a windchime that my passed away sister gave to another sister. I thought that was kinda cool

That's very special for the Hummer to nest on the chime :) I genuinely feel 'honored' that I get to see these amazing little creatures up so close! I used to have tons of them in my backyard in BC and am amazed to see so many in the city.

If you keep feeders filled through the winter months most of the Anna's will stay. The Rufus all migrate to warmer climates. The fact that they can fly up to 600 miles non stop is pretty hard to get your head around!

Lots of cool footage on YouTube! this is one of the best ones I've found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9uxYy_Na3w
    she lets go
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Count me in as a birder.......great pix btw. I don't know the western Hummers real well....except for the Rufous, who often migrates to Alabama for the winter.

I snapped a picture of a Ruby-throated hummer on the nest this summer. Pretty cool stuff....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    jamainiac wrote:
    That's very special for the Hummer to nest on the chime :) I genuinely feel 'honored' that I get to see these amazing little creatures up so close! I used to have tons of them in my backyard in BC and am amazed to see so many in the city.

If you keep feeders filled through the winter months most of the Anna's will stay. The Rufus all migrate to warmer climates. The fact that they can fly up to 600 miles non stop is pretty hard to get your head around!

Lots of cool footage on YouTube! this is one of the best ones I've found...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9uxYy_Na3w

Thanks for that video link! OMG---that guy had like 20 hummingbirds buzzing around him at the end of it!! THe ones that come around my yard were very territorial and would not let another drink while they were!
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is my LIFE!!!

How are you lady???

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Awesome pics!

I go crazy over hawks and falcons. That's one of the things I miss about having a job in which I spent a lot of time on the road. I knew tons of spots where I could count on seeing red tailed hawks. Seeing them made many of my days. :D
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    So how widespread is the humming bird?

For years I thought they were tropical, so I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw one when I was on holiday in France.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Awesome pics!

I go crazy over hawks and falcons. That's one of the things I miss about having a job in which I spent a lot of time on the road. I knew tons of spots where I could count on seeing red tailed hawks. Seeing them made many of my days. :D

Every Fall for the last 15 years, I sit at a Hawk Watch and count migrating raptors. We man the watch for 10 weeks Sept 1-Nov 15th for 8 hours each day. I usually do it one 8 hour day a week. I find it awe inspiring that the migration is going on, and that most people have no idea that there could be a "flock" of Broad Wing Hawks numbering in the hundreds, flying just over their heads. Every year I try and be there for the BIG DAY, usually around the third week of September. This year we had 1800 Broad Wings on our BIG DAY, I was lucky and was able to be there for the whole day.

Lizard..that was a sign from your sister. We had something similar from my dad after he died. He was a birder his whole life, loved Bald Eagles. When we were in the funeral home, planning his service, we had him cremated, and needed to pick out an urn for his ashes, we picked a marble one with a Bald Eagle engraved on it. My son who was closest with dad says....wouldn't it be cool if an eagle flew over the church during PopPops service? We really weren't paying too much attention to him as we were all devastated and just so full of grief at my dads sudden death....but our minister was paying attention to him. A week later we arrived at the church...about 30 people all getting out of their cars, walking in the parking lot, and my sister looks up and says....Is that an eagle???? I look up and YES IT WAS A FULL ADULT BALD EAGLE! He was circling over the church....nice and low! He continued circling while I was yelling for someone to get my MOM! She came out of the church, and watched as the Eagle slowly sailed away. The minister started dads service and told everyone about my sons wish and the eagles visit. We all cried. This happened in January and Eagles were rarely ever seen away from open rivers that time of year. Gave us great comfort.

Jams....your pictures are AWESOME!!! I'm coming out to do some Hummingbird watching! We could sit drink some wine...or how about we meet up in Arizona during the migration and see all different types???? Also, I have a hummingbird nest that my Daddy gave me. I have several articles from nature that he had given me, they are my most treasured things from him, because when he was out in Nature...he was thinking about me. Now when I hike everyday....I think about him. Yesterday I had saw a beautiful singing male Eastern Bluebird...I believe my Dad sent him to me.

Sorry this got so long.....you brought out my passion!!!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    Awesome pics!

I love red-tailed hawks and believe they are my animal spirit guide. They always seem to appear when I need some guidance or direction in life. I love watching them soar and glide on wind currents.

great pics of the hummers!
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Not a birder, but here are some hummingbird pics I took a while ago:
    Brian
  • Options
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Every Fall for the last 15 years, I sit at a Hawk Watch and count migrating raptors. We man the watch for 10 weeks Sept 1-Nov 15th for 8 hours each day. I usually do it one 8 hour day a week. I find it awe inspiring that the migration is going on, and that most people have no idea that there could be a "flock" of Broad Wing Hawks numbering in the hundreds, flying just over their heads. Every year I try and be there for the BIG DAY, usually around the third week of September. This year we had 1800 Broad Wings on our BIG DAY, I was lucky and was able to be there for the whole day.

Lizard..that was a sign from your sister. We had something similar from my dad after he died. He was a birder his whole life, loved Bald Eagles. When we were in the funeral home, planning his service, we had him cremated, and needed to pick out an urn for his ashes, we picked a marble one with a Bald Eagle engraved on it. My son who was closest with dad says....wouldn't it be cool if an eagle flew over the church during PopPops service? We really weren't paying too much attention to him as we were all devastated and just so full of grief at my dads sudden death....but our minister was paying attention to him. A week later we arrived at the church...about 30 people all getting out of their cars, walking in the parking lot, and my sister looks up and says....Is that an eagle???? I look up and YES IT WAS A FULL ADULT BALD EAGLE! He was circling over the church....nice and low! He continued circling while I was yelling for someone to get my MOM! She came out of the church, and watched as the Eagle slowly sailed away. The minister started dads service and told everyone about my sons wish and the eagles visit. We all cried. This happened in January and Eagles were rarely ever seen away from open rivers that time of year. Gave us great comfort.

Jams....your pictures are AWESOME!!! I'm coming out to do some Hummingbird watching! We could sit drink some wine...or how about we meet up in Arizona during the migration and see all different types???? Also, I have a hummingbird nest that my Daddy gave me. I have several articles from nature that he had given me, they are my most treasured things from him, because when he was out in Nature...he was thinking about me. Now when I hike everyday....I think about him. Yesterday I had saw a beautiful singing male Eastern Bluebird...I believe my Dad sent him to me.

Sorry this got so long.....you brought out my passion!!!

oxc

*typing through tears*

I was about to just keep the last paragraph to quote and post my 'best shot' of the day from yesterday...

but then I read your whole post...

BEAUTIFUL

I truly belive it is tremendously important that we are 'open to ... and aware of' ... SIGNS :)

and Carol... the thought of sitting (well... I'd be too excited to sit) with you... and be surrounded by migrating Hummers ... in the 1000's ... humming around me...

*poof*

She spontaneously combusts!! :D

... I'm going to take your beautiful winged thoughts into the rest of my day...

I'll post my picture later :)
    she lets go
  • Options
    WONDER STORY, PJ Addicted. Thanks for sharing that. Damn--so beautiful.

And yes, hawks and eagles are so awesome.
  • Options
    Love you guys.....I know we get signs when we need them, and are open to them.......I have lots more stories where those come from.....for another time! It has taken me three long years, but I can smile and feel my dad in my heart and I have also had some really nice dreams about him.

Stay well my good friend Jams....I know you have an anniversary coming too.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown