Hybrid SUV

Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone have a hyrbid SUV? If so what are your thoughts...I'm looking to get a new car and I need something very fuel efficient but also seem to think a SUV fits my lifestyle needs best.
PJ - 36
EV - 5
(**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I have an 07 Ford Escape hybrid.
    I love it. I get an average of 27 mpg.
    It has great visibility, came with a navigation system, comfy, lots of room.
    I have had no problems or complaints.
    I believe the 08 is even more fuel efficient.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • It doesn't really seem like hybrid SUV's really get any better gas millage they non-hybrids.

Trixie says she gets 27 mpg in her Escape, I get about 26 in my Hyundai Tucson... For me at least, I didn't think the extra expense of the hybrid was worth it for the small gas savings.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    rather get a station wagon with awd. they load insane amounts of goods and can run in snow,ice and the wet really well. of course unless by "fits my lifestyle" you mean you plan on driving in dubai over some dunes or some jungle, in which case an SUV would make sense.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm

Remove

Remove

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD

2007 Hyundai Tucson 4WD

Use Your Gas Prices & Annual Miles

Switch to Metric units

2007 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WD

2007 Hyundai Tucson 4WD
    Compare Side-by-Side

Hybrid Vehicle

Possible Tax Incentives

Estimated New EPA MPG

MPG ratings for 1985-2007 models have been revised More information.

Regular Gasoline
    City

Combined

Hwy

Regular Gasoline
    City

Combined

Hwy

Official EPA Window Sticker MPG

City

Combined

Hwy

City

Combined

Hwy

MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You

Learn more about
    "Your MPG" With "Your MPG" you can calculate or share your MPG, and view MPG estimates from other drivers. Click to learn more

Average based on 8 vehicles.

Lo

arrow
    Hi
    View Individual Estimates

User MPG estimates are not yet available for this vehicle.
    Disclaimer

Fuel Economics

Cost to drive 25 Miles

$2.87

$4.08

Fuel to Drive 25 Miles

0.93 gal

1.32 gal
    Cost of a Fill-up

$41.85

$47.99
    Miles on a Tank

365 miles

294 miles
    Tank Size

15.0 gal

17.2 gal
    Annual Fuel Cost*

$1721

$2446

Based on 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, 15000 miles/year and Reg.: $3.10 per gallon
    Click to use your gas prices and annual miles

Energy Impact Score

Annual Petroleum Consumption
    (1 barrel=42 gallons)

12.7 barrels

18.0 barrels

Carbon Footprint

Annual Tons of CO2 Emitted
    Personalize Annual Miles

graph showing the tons of greenhouse gases

graph showing the tons of greenhouse gases

EPA Air Pollution Score

Air Pollution Score

Score = 08

All states except CA,MA,ME,NY,VT

Not Available

Show Scores for California and Northeast States
    Show Detailed Air Pollution Information

More about emissions....

* What's the difference between air pollution and greenhouse gases?
    * Want more info? See EPA's Green Vehicle Guide

Safety

Crash Test Results

Crash Test Results

EPA Size Class

Sport Utility Vehicle - 4WD

Sport Utility Vehicle - 4WD

Engine Size (liters)

Cylinders

Transmission

Automatic (variable gear ratios)

Automatic 4-spd

Drive

4-Wheel or All-Wheel Drive

4-Wheel or All-Wheel Drive

Gas Guzzler

no

no

Turbocharger

no

no

Supercharger

no

no

Passenger Volume

NA

103 ft3 (4D)

Luggage Volume

NA

23 ft3 (4D)

Engine Characteristics

NA

NA

Trans Characteristics

VLKUP

2MODE CLKUP

How are fuel cost estimates and miles on a tank determined?
    Fuel cost estimates are based on45% highway driving, 55% city driving, 15000 annual miles and the following fuel prices:

Regular Gasoline: $3.10 per gallon

You may customize these values to reflect the price of fuel in your area and your own driving patterns.

Fill-up cost and the distance you can travel on a tank are calculated based on the combined MPG and the assumption that you will re-fuel when your tank is 10% full.

What's the difference between air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions?
    The Air Pollution score and Carbon Footprint measure different types of vehicle emissions. Air pollutants harm human health and/or cause smog. Carbon Footprint measures greenhouse gas emissions (primarily CO2) that impact climate change.

Why do some vehicles have more than one air pollution score?
    Some vehicles are available in multiple emission versions that look the same but have different air pollution scores. Unfortunately, it is difficult to distinguish between similar models.

If you click on the link "Show Detailed Air Pollution Information" above, it will display the emission standard and the 12-digit underhood engine ID. You can identify the cleaner car by matching the engine ID listed above to the Underhood Label Identification Number on the vehicle.

Note: In some cases, manufacturers choose to certify identical vehicles to different emission standards. In these cases, the vehicles will have the same engine ID.

The carbon footprint measures greenhouse gas emissions expressed in CO2 equivalents. The estimates presented here are "full fuel-cycle estimates" and include the three major greenhouse gases emitted by motor vehicles: carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, and methane. Full fuel-cycle estimates consider all steps in the use of a fuel, from production and refining to distribution and final use. Vehicle manufacture is excluded. (U.S. Department of Energy, GREET Model 1.7, Argonne National Laboratory)

NA - Not Available

Color vehicle photographs have been provided by the vehicle manufacturers or their representative and are used with their permission. Black and white photographs are as published in Ward's Automotive Yearbook(R), 1985-1999 and are used by permission of Ward's Communications, a world leader in automotive information.

DISCLAIMER: The user estimates shown above are based on data from Your MPG users rather than official sources. Since the source data cannot be verified, neither DOE nor EPA guarantees the accuracy of these estimates.
    OK, my above post doesn't appear to make much sense.
    I plugged the tuscon in as an 07 against my vehicle and there is a noticeable difference...especially in the carbon footprint being left, which is very important to me.
    I am not trying to slam you..just let people know that there is indeed a big difference.

Go to the link I posted and plug the 2 vehicles in to compare.
  • MrBrian wrote:
    rather get a station wagon with awd. they load insane amounts of goods and can run in snow,ice and the wet really well. of course unless by "fits my lifestyle" you mean you plan on driving in dubai over some dunes or some jungle, in which case an SUV would make sense.

Maybe he's really tall. I'm 6'6" and my next vehicle will be a hybrid SUV because it has the room I need to sit comfortable while not cranking my head to one side. Not to mention the possibility of a little ledvedderman showing up in the next year or so, it would be much easier for loading
  • MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,672
    Maybe he's really tall. I'm 6'6" and my next vehicle will be a hybrid SUV because it has the room I need to sit comfortable while not cranking my head to one side. Not to mention the possibility of a little ledvedderman showing up in the next year or so, it would be much easier for loading

:) maybe
  • anybody have a mercury mariner hybrid?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Want good fuel economy? Want a car that's fun to drive? Want a car that holds its resale incredibly well?Get a VW TDI!!!
    "Trial and error isn't a bad way to learn how to build an aircraft, but it can be a disastrous way to learn how to build a civilization..."
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    Want good fuel economy? Want a car that's fun to drive? Want a car that holds its resale incredibly well?Get a VW TDI!!!

and even better...get an engine modification on the diesel and fill 'er up with biodiesel!

interesting fact: A Toyota Prius produces 4 times as much carbon dioxide, and consumes 3 times as much fossil fuel per mile, as a VW Golf TDI running on Biodiesel.

yay for biodiesel:
    -domestically produced (goodbye foreign oil dependency!)
    -renewable resource
    -biodegradable
    -net zero global warming impact

Americans make up 5% of the world's population and drive almost 1/3 of its cars...which in turn accounts for 45% of global carbon emissions each year.
    scary.

walk or take the bus.
  • the only true hybrid is the toyota prius. the difference is how the engines are built (in parallel vs. in sequence). Other hybrids aren't much different from a regular car.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    the only true hybrid is the toyota prius. the difference is how the engines are built (in parallel vs. in sequence). Other hybrids aren't much different from a regular car.

Actually all of the Toyota's and Lexus' are true hybrids and it still remains that way today.