"you look too young to have a child."

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I went to some training for a new part-time job I am starting, and while making small talk with a couple of the people training me, I mentioned my daughter. one of the women looked at me and said in a very matter-of-fact way, "You look too young to have a child."

Huh? :D

I responded with "well...I'm 27..."

She also glanced down at my left hand as she said it, and I think she was checking for rings (which I happened to not be wearing...)

Maybe she was just trying to flatter me, or something, but what a weird comment to make...lol.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• roarroar Posts: 1,116
    half the time women say this to find out exactly how old you are...i've heard it many times in my field. younger women are threatening to some older women.

i'd take it as a compliment...tinged with her jealousy.
  • cute story. heh heh
    Maybe she was just trying to make some conversation...at any rate, you do look young and thats not a bad thing. Nor is it bad to look older (ok, i just dont want to offend anyone). :D

Youre a beautiful mommy, and thats what matters.
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • I went to some training for a new part-time job I am starting, and while making small talk with a couple of the people training me, I mentioned my daughter. one of the women looked at me and said in a very matter-of-fact way, "You look too young to have a child."

She also glanced down at my left hand as she said it, and I think she was checking for rings (which I happened to not be wearing...)

Maybe she was just trying to flatter me, or something, but what a weird comment to make...lol.

That is an odd statement considering teenagers are popping out kids everyday!

I'm not saying you don't look young, Jenna ;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • I went to some training for a new part-time job I am starting, and while making small talk with a couple of the people training me, I mentioned my daughter. one of the women looked at me and said in a very matter-of-fact way, "You look too young to have a child."

I get exactly the same thing and I'm 27 too. It never flatter's me, actually it makes me feel really uncomfortable when I'm pushing his pram around.

I look like a single teenager mother... I wish people would stop keep saying it! Sorry... I had a bit of a rant there.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    You're making more of it than it really is and I hardly find it a weird comment.

Sometimes a compliment is just that. Who knew that one day people (particularly women) would be off-put by others thinking that they looked young?

My, how the times have changed.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • roar wrote:
    half the time women say this to find out exactly how old you are...i've heard it many times in my field. younger women are threatening to some older women.

i'd take it as a compliment...tinged with her jealousy.
    I'd definitely take it as a compliment. Not everything people say has something behind it. I'm sure I've said something like that before but it would just come out of my mouth cos it's simply what I'm thinking at the time :o but it doesn't mean any offense... it just means you look young :)

Jeeeezzz... learn to take a bloody compliment girl :p:)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I'd definitely take it as a compliment. Not everything people say has something behind it. I'm sure I've said something like that before but it would just come out of my mouth cos it's simply what I'm thinking at the time :o but it doesn't mean any offense... it just means you look young :)

Take it as a compliment....
    Last time I got ID checked when buying beer, I danced out of the shop....:)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I'd definitely take it as a compliment. Not everything people say has something behind it. I'm sure I've said something like that before but it would just come out of my mouth cos it's simply what I'm thinking at the time :o but it doesn't mean any offense... it just means you look young :)

I can't speak for Brain of J Lo but I think I know what she means.

They say it takes one to know one and I have to confess, when I see a teenage girl pushing a pram along, I think *tut* Another teenage pregnancy.

I worry that people look at me and think the same. That I'm a teenager that got knocked up and doesn't know who the father is.

I didn't want to have to confess that but a lot of people have said 'Just take it as a compliment'.
  • It is definately a backhanded compliment. I don't have kids, but I'm 29 and don't look like it. I get ID'd all the time and I've even gotten a hard time on a few occasions. Like I'd try and pass for 29 LOL.

So long as our youthful good looks don't catch up to us.....

She's probably jealous.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • I can't speak for Brain of J Lo but I think I know what she means.

I worry that people look at me and think the same. That I'm a teenager that got knocked up and doesn't know who the father is.

I didn't want to have to confess that but a lot of people have said 'Just take it as a compliment'.

You summed up my feelings exactly! :) It's not that I an offended by people thinking I look young, but I'm offended by the fact that they are forming some kind of opinion about my "right" to be a mother...if that makes sense...?
  • dharma69 wrote:
    You're making more of it than it really is and I hardly find it a weird comment.

Sometimes a compliment is just that. Who knew that one day people (particularly women) would be off-put by others thinking that they looked young?

My, how the times have changed.

I'm not really making anything of it... I know I look young. :D This is not news to me. ;) It just struck me as something that, in some situations, might not be an appropriate comment.

From her tone, I could tell it was more of a comment than a compliment. And I wasn't necessarily put off by it. The reason it struck me as odd was that *if* I were a very young mother, that might be an issue I am sensitive about and, therefore, not something I would appreciate hearing comments about. Does that make sense?

So...I don't think this is really worthy of being viewed as a comment on our changing world. :D
  • That is an odd statement considering teenagers are popping out kids everyday!

I'm not saying you don't look young, Jenna ;)

lol! Yeah, I was thinking..."surely she doesn't think I am LITERALLY too young to bear children...lol"
  • It is definately a backhanded compliment. I don't have kids, but I'm 29 and don't look like it. I get ID'd all the time and I've even gotten a hard time on a few occasions. Like I'd try and pass for 29 LOL.

So long as our youthful good looks don't catch up to us.....

She's probably jealous.

I get carded a lot, too.

Sometimes, I even get quizzed about the details on my ID. :D
  • I bought a bottle of wine the other day and the woman asked me for ID. You have to be 18 here to buy alcohol!

The woman said 'Damn, you look good for 27 girl'.

I think I just look short AND old. :D I should take it as a compliment, I guess.
  • I get carded a lot, too.

Sometimes, I even get quizzed about the details on my ID. :D

I just recently stopped getting the ID quiz, and I'm 29. The really funny thing is, I have brother that's almost 6 years younger than me, and when I meet people who know him, they assume I'm the younger sibling. 2 years ago at his college graduation, his friend who was the same as me- 27- asked him how he managed to get me into the bar.
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I went to some training for a new part-time job I am starting, and while making small talk with a couple of the people training me, I mentioned my daughter. one of the women looked at me and said in a very matter-of-fact way, "You look too young to have a child."

Were you wearing your J Lo concert tee shirt? :p
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I would think it would be flattering...:)
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • TrixieCat wrote:
    Were you wearing your J Lo concert tee shirt? :p

lol, oh no, that must have been it! :D
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    I'm not really making anything of it... I know I look young. :D This is not news to me. ;) It just struck me as something that, in some situations, might not be an appropriate comment.

From her tone, I could tell it was more of a comment than a compliment. And I wasn't necessarily put off by it. The reason it struck me as odd was that *if* I were a very young mother, that might be an issue I am sensitive about and, therefore, not something I would appreciate hearing comments about. Does that make sense?

So...I don't think this is really worthy of being viewed as a comment on our changing world. :D
    Well, tone certainly can change everything.

I'm glad that you look too young to have a child. Yay Oil of Olay.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • This happened to me last month. I was waiting on a nice couple and when they paid, they used their Ariel the Mermaid Visa card. I commented that my daughter loves Ariel and wanted to be Ariel for Halloween. Their jaws both dropped and the wife (who is probably younger than me) said, "I can't believe you have a daughter!" I was offended a little at first thinking, 'why, because a mother should be at home with her children, not working?' And when I told her I actually have 3 daughters, they said I looked to young to have any children. It was nice to hear.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Did someone say "MILF"?

No, ok, I was just checking.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908

First, congrats on the job!
    second,
    meh some people are yentas J and they don't know when to mind their own business
    it sounds like she wasn't trying to say it to you as a compliment, she was trying to make a commentary and that's none of her business to do so

either way, yes she's probably either envious or mouthy or a combination of both
    What difference does it make and who is she to comment on that? Blech. Just ignore her. You find all kinds of people in the world.

I don't know what you look like but when you are attractive you're always going to have haters.

I'm 34 but I don't look it either and I get comments like that. Or I get asked if I eat anything b/c I'm thin. My doctor asked me if I was anorexic :eek: when she first met me. I was like what? Not eat?! On PURPOSE? Um, no.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • I don't have any children, but I get told I am "Way too young looking to be married"...

I don't know, but it annoys me a lot. People always say that to me, and in a tone like I am white trash for being married young.

I did get asked at the hospital if I was my brothers younger sister... by his nurse, who knew he was 16.. Haha, gee, thanks, but I'm not 14.
  • I don't have any children, but I get told I am "Way too young looking to be married"...

I don't know, but it annoys me a lot. People always say that to me, and in a tone like I am white trash for being married young.

Yeah...it's the implied judgement that comes with it.

I know there'll come a time when I'm thrilled to be mistaken for younger...but, for now, it can be a liability.

edit: by the way, I don't think you look 14! :D
  • Perhaps a better retort to that statement would be, "Well, I wouldnt dream of having a child at your age." Then snap a pencil with one hand.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Allie wrote:
    First, congrats on the job!
    second,
    meh some people are yentas J and they don't know when to mind their own business
    it sounds like she wasn't trying to say it to you as a compliment, she was trying to make a commentary and that's none of her business to do so

either way, yes she's probably either envious or mouthy or a combination of both
    What difference does it make and who is she to comment on that? Blech. Just ignore her. You find all kinds of people in the world.

I don't know what you look like but when you are attractive you're always going to have haters.

I'm 34 but I don't look it either and I get comments like that. Or I get asked if I eat anything b/c I'm thin. My doctor asked me if I was anorexic :eek: when she first met me. I was like what? Not eat?! On PURPOSE? Um, no.

I can't believe a doctor would ask you that, simply based on appearance...lol. That's absurd!

Oh, and if you want to know what I look like, I finally posted a pic in the pic thread... It's probably a few pages back by now. :D You'll agree; I *do* look young...lol. :)
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I can't believe a doctor would ask you that, simply based on appearance...lol. That's absurd!

Oh, and if you want to know what I look like, I finally posted a pic in the pic thread... It's probably a few pages back by now. :D You'll agree; I *do* look young...lol. :)

you look too young to have children :p Just kidding!!!!

wow, you are really beautiful. I see where Annabelle gets it from :) (no disrespect to her daddy). No wonder that woman was envious.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • 27 is too young to have kids.
    "It's all happening"
  • 27 is too young to have kids.

I would have said the same thing before I had the kid. :D
  • Allie wrote:
    you look too young to have children :p Just kidding!!!!

wow, you are really beautiful. I see where Annabelle gets it from :) (no disrespect to her daddy). No wonder that woman was envious.

lol! :D

You're too kind. :) Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.