Options

Is it ever too soon to leave a shitty part-time job?

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I've just started a holiday retail job. The positives are that I'm getting a lot of hours and the work is easy, even if a bit physically demanding. But, the pay is the LOWEST hourly wage I've ever made, by several dollars. Also, there's only a small chance that I will have a job after the holiday season is over.

So...would it be terribly rude/unprofessional of me to keep looking for and applying to jobs right now, even if it could possibly mean that I'd be bailing on this store just before Christmas? (I should note that my job is just recovery; I don't work the registers or anything, so I could easily be replaced with a well-groomed monkey, and no one would even notice...lol.) Or, should I stick it out and wait until it's closer to the official "end date" of this temporary job? The thing is...there are a couple of stores very near my house that just opened, and they are still hiring...and I want to get in while they still have a lot of jobs open! I don't even know if they pay better, but there are other positives that make these places more appealing.

Ok, message pit career advisors. Tell me what to do! :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I've just started a holiday retail job. The positives are that I'm getting a lot of hours and the work is easy, even if a bit physically demanding. But, the pay is the LOWEST hourly wage I've ever made, by several dollars. Also, there's only a small chance that I will have a job after the holiday season is over.

So...would it be terribly rude/unprofessional of me to keep looking for and applying to jobs right now, even if it could possibly mean that I'd be bailing on this store just before Christmas? (I should note that my job is just recovery; I don't work the registers or anything, so I could easily be replaced with a well-groomed monkey, and no one would even notice...lol.) Or, should I stick it out and wait until it's closer to the official "end date" of this temporary job? The thing is...there are a couple of stores very near my house that just opened, and they are still hiring...and I want to get in while they still have a lot of jobs open! I don't even know if they pay better, but there are other positives that make these places more appealing.

Ok, message pit career advisors. Tell me what to do! :D

I'm sure that happens all the time in those types if jobs. If I remember correctly, you were just doing it to get some extra cash and get out a bit...if it's not doing it for you, why the hell not?
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Apply for other jobs. There is no good or bad time to leave the one you have now - I'm sure they are used to losing seasonal staff all the time.

Good luck on getting a better paid one before Christmas!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I think it's okay to apply for other jobs if the other jobs are at the stores near your house and they are for a long-term job. Who wouldn't understand that you'd want to work closer to home and a permanent job rather than a seasonal one?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Back when I worked in a factory, I had someone that I was training leave for their first break and not come back. I guess that's about as early as you can get!
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    you should always be looking for/ working towards a better paying job.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    i'm working a seasonal job too, but i also have my resumes in at the places i really want to work permanently. if one of them called me, i would be out of there so fast, even though the work isn't hard etc. you gotta do what's right in the long run for you. good luck!
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    a5pj wrote:
    you should always be looking for/ working towards a better paying job.

Hell ya, do what's best for you! The store you're at now will survive without you.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Of course you should apply for other jobs!

Good luck :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    I would leave if you want to leave. As long as someone didn't do you a favor getting you the job or whatever.

I manage a part time staff including some seasonal people, and we have a decent amount of turnover. It sucks for us to invest the time and expense in back ground checks and training, but I'd rather have someone quit the first week here, then stay here and be miserable and bring everyone else down (not saying you are acting that way, but just in general, I'd rather not have people working here that don't really want to be working).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Stores are used to a high-turnover rate. You have to do what is right for you. I say go apply for other jobs, and if something better comes up, take it. :)
  • Options
    Stores are used to a high-turnover rate. You have to do what is right for you. I say go apply for other jobs, and if something better comes up, take it. :)

Thanks guys and gals. :D

I think the only thing holding me back is that I have a fear of disappointing people. But, I need to remind myself that these people really don't give two shits about me, and that they only like what I'm doing because I'm working my ass off for basically no money. ;)
  • Options
    I would leave if you want to leave. As long as someone didn't do you a favor getting you the job or whatever.

I manage a part time staff including some seasonal people, and we have a decent amount of turnover. It sucks for us to invest the time and expense in back ground checks and training, but I'd rather have someone quit the first week here, then stay here and be miserable and bring everyone else down (not saying you are acting that way, but just in general, I'd rather not have people working here that don't really want to be working).

The good thing is that they haven't had to invest much time, effort or money into training me. Hell, they hired me along with 3 other people, during an interview that consisted of answering two questions...lol. :D
  • Options
    Thanks guys and gals. :D

I think the only thing holding me back is that I have a fear of disappointing people. But, I need to remind myself that these people really don't give two shits about me, and that they only like what I'm doing because I'm working my ass off for basically no money. ;)
    Do you really live in Jersey? You're much too nice to be a resident of that state. ;)

It's only a temp job, who cares if you piss them off?
  • Options
    John Budge wrote:
    Do you really live in Jersey? You're much too nice to be a resident of that state. ;)

It's only a temp job, who cares if you piss them off?

haha...

I'm originally from Illinois. :D

And yeah, I know...but still. :o
  • Options
    I am thinking of leaving a part time job I just got. I feel badly as I know the guy who said if I was interested they could likely give me some shifts. I have only worked one shift so far but it is on the other side of the city and I forgot how much I hate functions vs table service :(
  • Options
    please tell ms you're not working at barnes and noble. Thus sounds just like them!!!