Tact...or rather, the lack thereof!

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
There's a girl at my new job who says something inappropriate, rude or otherwise offensive almost every time she opens her mouth. It doesn't matter if there are customers around or not.

How do you handle people that have no tact? Do you call them on it? Do you just politely gloss over what they said? Do you roll your eyes and walk away?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    say "SHUT UR MOUTH "

AND SHE SAYS " HEY MAN IM JUST TALKING BOUT DIRTY FRANK"
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Depends on the person. For instance, I have a relative who just says whatever comes to her mind regardless of if it's offensive or inappropriate. With her, you just learn to look past it because she doesn't really mean any harm by what she says, it's just how she is.

If it's someone that you don't really know, I never know how to handle those situations. Some people get hurt and offended if you call them on it while some actually listen to you and try to be better about it. I guess you just have to judge their personality and how you think they will react if you approach them.

Or, you could go and make a complaint with your boss and let the boss handle approaching that person.
  • xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    i wouldnt say anything at all... let your superior deal with it.
  • I like to issue disgust with a bugged eye look of disapproval followed by a stern statement on WHAT was inappropriate about what she said...and give her a chance to either explain herself or continue to bury herself...after a while she wont bother saying anything for fear of having to explain her statements...ahhhh quiet in the office - and now to turn up my ipod...ahhhh peace, beeeeatches. peace.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,470
    I need more information before rendering advice

is she hot?
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    say "SHUT UR MOUTH "

AND SHE SAYS " HEY MAN IM JUST TALKING BOUT DIRTY FRANK"
    What he said
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I think that many people who do that actually have social disabilities. They don't seem to realize that what they are saying is offensive or inappropriate.

I think it helps to do one of two things:1) respond with why you think that's not an appropriate thing to say or 2) ignore it.

If you end up walking away from her everytime she opens her mouth...she may wonder about it or she may continue to be oblivious...but at least you don't need to be aggravated.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    There's a girl at my new job who says something inappropriate, rude or otherwise offensive almost every time she opens her mouth. It doesn't matter if there are customers around or not.

How do you handle people that have no tact? Do you call them on it? Do you just politely gloss over what they said? Do you roll your eyes and walk away?

my answer to everything is normally "punch them in the fudd"..... and it still is in this case
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • I have a coworker like this. Her favorite line to clients is....

"ARE YOU CRAZY???"

And I put it in caps because she yells it over the phone. She has no class, no tact, no nothing! It's embarassing.

But, I truly think she doesn't know any better. She doesn't realize how she comes off. She's older (not that it makes a difference) and really isn't in good shape so everything she does is in a loud, obnoxious voice and she's truly incompetant.

Good thing is, she works for a lady who is just as idiotic and incompetant. So between the two of them, it's a wonder they can get anything done.

We just ignore them both. And laugh. It borders on extremely irritating/funny. And slightly pathetic.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • I have a coworker like this. Her favorite line to clients is....

"ARE YOU CRAZY???"

And I put it in caps because she yells it over the phone. She has no class, no tact, no nothing! It's embarassing.

But, I truly think she doesn't know any better. She doesn't realize how she comes off. She's older (not that it makes a difference) and really isn't in good shape so everything she does is in a loud, obnoxious voice and she's truly incompetant.

Good thing is, she works for a lady who is just as idiotic and incompetant. So between the two of them, it's a wonder they can get anything done.

We just ignore them both. And laugh. It borders on extremely irritating/funny. And slightly pathetic.

Problem is, if they're in charge, YOU won't get anywhere. :)
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257

i work with the same people. makes work much more interesting yet takes ten years off your life from stress and extrawork created through incompetence
    justam wrote:
    I think it helps to do one of two things:1) respond with why you think that's not an appropriate thing to say or 2) ignore it.

it can be very helpful if you point out the reasons it could upset someone. most likely if she just says these things then she doesnt consider the effect it will have, or how she would perceive it if she was on the other end. just have a quiet word with her about it
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    depends on what she's doing that so rude and inappropriate. i tend to be rather inappropriate. i've learned to bite my tongue a lot becos most people are uptight and can't joke about things. my dream is a society where we stop worrying about what's appropriate, remove the sticks from our collective arses, and live and let live.