Options

What do you do if dogs are chasing you??

Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I was just out for a walk with my 18 month old in her stroller, and these two huge, mangey-looking dogs came out of nowhere and started chasing us. Finally, they got sidetracked and I was able to take off in another direction and lose them, but it was really fucking scary!!!!

I just felt really vulnerable, and even though they didn't attack us or anything, I just want to know if there's any surefire way to make them or other scary dogs get the fuck away from me if it happens again.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Travel with sausage links and throw them in the opposite direction.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Danimal wrote:

Or throw the baby at them and run the other way. They won't hurt the baby, so you can pick him/her up when the dogs leave....I don't have a serious answer for you, sorry J Lo :)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I've heard if you are ever attacked by a dog, you can grab their two front legs and its easy to break their rib cage by pushing the two legs apart... Hopefully I'll never get to that point though. I love animals.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693

tear the leash, tear the leash...
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    The Champ wrote:
    Or throw the baby at them and run the other way. They won't hurt the baby, so you can pick him/her up when the dogs leave....I don't have a serious answer for you, sorry J Lo :)..

I am sorry for laughing at this so hard.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    brainofjbbrainofjb Boston Posts: 381
    Danimal wrote:

or mutton rapped in napkins in your pockets
    There's the moon asking to stay
    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    carry mace...
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    i grab a dog... i choke him and i kick the shit out of him. all day long got my foot up a dog's ass. just bang, bang, bang up his ass. that's my pleasure.
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Carry pepper spray?
    Carry an air horn?

Would a dog whistle work?
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    ballbag wrote:
    i grab a dog... i choke him and i kick the shit out of him. all day long got my foot up a dog's ass. just bang, bang, bang up his ass. that's my pleasure.

Sounds like you get off on dog anal!!! ....remember to be humane at least and use lube :p
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    glbglb Posts: 356
    you should never run from a dog. It brings out their natural instinct to catch the thing that is running from them.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Options
    ask bill nye the science guy maybe he knows....
  • Options
    FoxwellFoxwell Posts: 142
    This actually happened to me...

While I was being swarmed by wasps (don't ask) a dog came charging towards me and my friend.

I'm no Dog Whisperer, but I was pretty sure this German Sheppard/Doberman/wolf wasn't coming to my rescue.

Since I was pre-occupied with the angry wasps and instantly realizing that a wasp/dog attack could be one of the worst ways to die, I was grateful for what Ian did next.

He turned straight towards the charging beast and bellowed, "SIT!"

And I'll be damned, but the dog did just that and stayed that way 'til we could get the hell out of Dodge.

Of course, this won't work for every dog, but it's worth a shot.
    "In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer." -- Albert Camus

"He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that." -- John Stuart Mill

"Mongo just a pawn in game of life." -- Mongo
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    ballbag wrote:

Who are you? Borat?

"I like table tennis. Choke dog."
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Foxwell wrote:

While I was being swarmed by wasps (don't ask) a dog came charging towards me and my friend.

I'm no Dog Whisperer, but I was pretty sure this German Sheppard/Doberman/wolf wasn't coming to my rescue.

Since I was pre-occupied with the angry wasps and instantly realizing that a wasp/dog attack could be one of the worst ways to die, I was grateful for what Ian did next.

And I'll be damned, but the dog did just that and stayed that way 'til we could get the hell out of Dodge.

So true. My dad and I were hiking in Denmark when these two guard dogs jumped over their fence and attacked us. I almost peed myself and instantly hid behind my dad (I know, I was chicken!), who very impressively yelled things like SIT and DOWN and... it worked. They didn't sit or anything, but they kind of backed off and didn't bite. Thank God for that. I like well-behaved dogs that I know, but guard dogs, especially ones I don't know, always manage to scare me. I was chased down a country road once by one, it leapt up, but didn't manage to get a hold on my jeans. I have never cycled as fast again.
    Like a cloud dropping rain
    I'm discarding all thought
    I'll dry up, leaving puddles on the ground
    I'm like an opening band for the sun
  • Options
    call michael vick
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    I was just out for a walk with my 18 month old in her stroller, and these two huge, mangey-looking dogs came out of nowhere and started chasing us. Finally, they got sidetracked and I was able to take off in another direction and lose them, but it was really fucking scary!!!!

I just felt really vulnerable, and even though they didn't attack us or anything, I just want to know if there's any surefire way to make them or other scary dogs get the fuck away from me if it happens again.

I would recommend Pepper Spray

or buy yourself a big ass Rottweiler to walk with

:D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    When I worked for the phone company, I was in a lot of backyards. The first thing I would do upon entering any yard was look for high ground. Something i could jump on if a dog was let out of the house. And of course, I always knew where the nearest fence to hurdle was. On the street, think the same thing. Jump on the nearest car or sprint to the nearest fence, a high fence a dog can't easily leap over
  • Options
    Difficult when you've been startled and more so with a young child but all you can do is be assertive and show no fear (I know, easier said than done). Animals won't go into a fight they don't think they can win.
    The Champ wrote:

So thoroughly wrong but I almost hurt myself laughing.
    Scottish Grunge Survivalists...
    http://www.myspace.com/hollowpointuk
  • Options
    raystreyraystrey Posts: 171
    ballbag wrote:

jajaja....I anin't trying to be no dog catcher...

how you ass feel mr.jones??
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    A lot of dogs back off when you let them know that you're bigger than them. You know how people say dogs can actuallt smell (sense) fear, they say it for a reason.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Foxwell wrote:

This sometimes work. Even shouting the dog down will work. I've done this before and it's made me look like a fucking nut, just shout/bark back at a barking dog who's chasing you. I find this very hard to do because I hava a fear of dogs. I fucking hate the creatures (except labradors), but it does work.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I don't know...luckily Ive never was in this type of situation. I would probably run too. But I think I heard you shouldn't do that. Well I'm glad you and your daughter are okay
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    you were lucky they were sidetracked.

my neighbors sometimes carry sticks when they walk around our neighborhood.
    I never do, I just carry my cellphone and pray nothing bites me.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more