Options

My Bonnaroo Experience

Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
edited June 2008 in The Porch
I was lucky to have been # 671 out of 750 people they let into the right (Stone's) side of the pit. I waited over 5 hours against a barricade during B.B. King's and Jack Johnson's performances....And it was all worth it!!!

Not only was this the greatest of my 7 shows, but they played 9 songs out of the 26 that I had never heard before. To hear W.M.A. in its entirety and to open up the Encore was magnetic. Next came the Save it For Later tag which brought memories of listening to State College 03 for the first time and getting to live that moment. Black was beautiful and I never thought they'd play Porch after RVM closed the set and (Big Venue + Pinkpop = Bonnaroo Disaster, but everything went fine). And that was just Encore 1.

The Ed politics chant was expected and No More was good, but Release (my favorite opener; the first time I've heard it Live, and to be played as a dedication to someone close to them that just lost their father made it even more special). Alive was SICKKKK...the fist-pumping as always was incredible especially with 60,000+ ppl doing it.

Ed's comments about the lighters, Amsterdam, doing drugs, and then the EPIC All Along the Watchtower that probably lasted more than 10 minutes with the constant "Two Riders Were Approaching" chant Ed did was the best way to end a Bonnaroo performance. I'm so happy, glad, fortunate to have seen one of the greatest, if not greatest large-scale PJ show of All Time!!

To top it off, for me: All Night, 1/2 Full, Down, Who You Are, and Love Reign O'er Me, and Animal>Even Flow with McCready's behind-the-head guitar solo for four minutes was priceless
2005: Borgata 2, Philly
2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
2012: Made in America
2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
2015: Global Citizens
2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Nice! Sounds like it was an amazing experience. I wish I could have been there!
    Who else did you see? And who was your second fave?
  • Options
    MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    I gotta say I'd write a review but it'd be an echo of everything you just said. Phenomenal show. So lucky to have been there and up so close as well.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Nice! Sounds like it was an amazing experience. I wish I could have been there!
    Who else did you see? And who was your second fave?

I knew they were gonna be good, but they were REDICULOUS. Others who were there know that I'm talking about The Raconteurs. Holy Shit, what a performance. Metallica was also amazing; Jack Johnson was okay for my first time but he didn't stray from his CD recordings - same type of sound; Steel Train was good, and Umphrey's McGee, Robert Randolph was great when he said "Kanye Sucks" during his jam w/T-Bone Burnett; Allison Krauss has the most beautiful female-singing voice on the planet (I got chills when she sang "Down By The River to Pray") and finally, My Morning Jacket was simply remarkable (especially while I was booming balls in the downpour rain that lasted for 3 hrs)
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    Agree completely with your post, it was awesome. I'm 43 years old, have been a PJ fan since Ten, but have never been to a show live as one thing or another always kept me from seeing them live. I was on Stone's side, right behind the pit fence, so had a very good spot (didn't want to wait in line for the pit as I had my 15 yr old daughter with me and I didn't want to make her miss some of the other acts she watned to see). I was stunned when they opened with Hard to Imagine and then to follow it up with Corduroy - this lyric fit me perfectly - "The waiting drove me mad...you're finally here and I'm a mess"...I had tears in my eyes!!! Of course, I told my daughter it was from the cigerette smoke in front of us :-).

Wow, I have tix to D.C. this Sunday and I'm just going to soak it all in!!!
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 229
    Sounds like everyone who has posted loved it. I'm normally not a festival person but am quite envious towards everyone who attended. Glad you had a great time.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    My Morning Jacket was simply remarkable (especially while I was booming balls in the downpour rain that lasted for 3 hrs)
    I was going to ask you if you seen MMJ. People over in the 'other music' forum say it was a tie with the PJ performance..how true is that? I saw the setlist MMJ and it is incredible.
  • Options
    Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    I was going to ask you if you seen MMJ. People over in the 'other music' forum say it was a tie with the PJ performance..how true is that? I saw the setlist MMJ and it is incredible.

MMJ was better...by just a little...tiny small amount
    the Minions
  • Options
    celebrationcelebration Posts: 318
    Coool review

I can't wait to hear this show. OMG
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    I knew they were gonna be good, but they were REDICULOUS. Others who were there know that I'm talking about The Raconteurs. Holy Shit, what a performance. Metallica was also amazing; Jack Johnson was okay for my first time but he didn't stray from his CD recordings - same type of sound; Steel Train was good, and Umphrey's McGee, Robert Randolph was great when he said "Kanye Sucks" during his jam w/T-Bone Burnett; Allison Krauss has the most beautiful female-singing voice on the planet (I got chills when she sang "Down By The River to Pray") and finally, My Morning Jacket was simply remarkable (especially while I was booming balls in the downpour rain that lasted for 3 hrs)

robert randolph is fucking amazing live. i've seen him once and i wish he'd come around my neck of the woods again.
    "Have you ever.........pooped a balloon?"
    ~D.K.S.
  • Options
    Elderly ManElderly Man Posts: 235
    i drank eddies wine during crazy mary.

rock on.
    MSG 2 - 03
    Ed Sullivan Theater - 06
    Irving Plaza - 06
    Albany - 06
    Hartford - 06
    East Rutherford 1 & 2 - 06
    San Francisco 1 & 2 - 06
    Bonnaroo - 08
    MSG 1 & 2 - 08
    Hartford - 08
    Mansfield 1 - 08
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428

rock on.

yum :-)
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    My wife and I both got a Mike pick ;)
  • Options
    quarterpastquarterpast Posts: 185
    I had a generally good experience with the crowd, but the folks working were pretty much useless. The photo pits got kinda rough too. I'm small and always conscious of who is around me...other photographers were pushing people, knocking into your gear (not cheap stuff), standing directly in front of you... Just flat out rude. We were not competing, each person there was on assignment from a specific press outlet! I ended up shooting next to Danny Clinch at one point and was very happy to find out that he is one of the nice photographers :) There were a few cool photogs that I met, some that I'd be happy to never run into again.

My write up and some photos just went up at:
    http://venuszine.com/articles/music/live_reviews/3664/Bonnaroo_2008

More photos are at :
    http://www.SoundCapturePhotos.com
    rock bands may come and rock bands may go...
    but rock n roll will live forever! - ray davies
  • Options
    Jellyrolls wrote:

I was tripping the entire time during MMJ so I can't really comment, but i doubt they were better than PJ. But maybe.
    P.S. Robert Randolph Revival was sick (saw him open for DMB in Nov '07 with the Family Band)
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Just got home from the 15 hour drive.....

Bonnaroo and VIP was worth every PENNY!!

Will write a little more tomorrow after some much needed SLEEP. I mean it was a "I'll sleep when I'm dead" weekend for sure.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102

rock on.

Dude I am jealous; I was hoping that bottle would make it my way.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    maybe the best time i ever had. anytime anywhere. even though i got there late.

a few highlights:

MMJ: incredible
    BB King: cool to see
    PJ: this band was born to headline festivals.
    Robert Randolph: always puts on a great show
    Robert Plant and Krauss: Holy shit! i saw the lead singer of Led Zeppelin!
    WSP: damn shame we had to leave mid set. i liked it.
  • Options
    The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    Jellyrolls wrote:

MMJ killed it! They were on for almost 4 hours.

DEFINITELY UP THERE WITH PJ
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18