New Tires... Do you have to get 4 or can you just get 2?

pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
My girlfriend needs new tires, she only thinks she needs two, but I've always heard it's better to get all 4 tires replaced, even if two of them are pretty new and in good condition...
what do you people who know more about cars than me think about this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    In the past I have bought 2 when two were clearly much more worn than the other 2. (not enough rotation and front wheel drive wearing the front much faster than the rear).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    Mic...
    You can buy 2.. just make sure they are the same specs as the other 2 remaining on the car. When replacing 2 tires only, they need to be placed on the rear axle of the vehicle.

Peace
    Just me
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    thank you sue(and others)
  • Is it the back two that need to be replaced Mic? Usually those go b4 the front do.
    nah, it's the back two... they said they are about to explode!
  • pjtaper wrote:
    nah, it's the back two... they said they are about to explode!

And how are the front ones? Cause if those are fine you can get away with just getting 2.
  • It also depends on whether the car is AWD or 4WD. If it's either of these types of cars you should get all 4 tires replaced.
    NERDS!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I have a FWD car and it is not uncommon at all to get 2 tires at a time. My car had a tiny alignment issue that lead to incredible wear on the front two tires. The back were still in great shape. Got 2 same spec tires, put them on, had the front alignment fixed and I was good to go.

Keep an eye on the wear of your sets. If you see one side of both tires is wearing down and you have any pull, get your alignment fixed and rotate your tires. It's really a judgement call and how much $ you have to spend. If the worn down set is bad and the other is fine...just get two. If they are all showing wear, it's a good idea to get 4.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    So did you end up getting two or four? :corn:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I usually buy 3.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    I think she got 2... I got a new clutch today!!! Yay
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Zanne wrote:
    Mic...
    You can buy 2.. just make sure they are the same specs as the other 2 remaining on the car. When replacing 2 tires only, they need to be placed on the rear axle of the vehicle.

Peace

i blew a rear tire this weekend ... and instead of replacing it - i am replacing 2 .. but i decided to put them on the front and put the old ones on the back ... thinking because my drive is front-wheel ... that it's better to have those tires on there ...

thoughts?
    this thread tires me :lol:

:fp:
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    From a pure safety standpoint, you should buy 4 tires. I couldn't justify the risk of just buying 2 unless an expert said it was all right.
    sweet, I have an oil leak in my engine, up to $900 now... there goes my new snowboard :(
    pjtaper wrote:
    sweet, I have an oil leak in my engine, up to $900 now... there goes my new snowboard :(

Sorry man. Car maintenance bills suck. You go to the mechanic...pay a huge bill...and leave with the same car. It seems so unproductive.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    DS1119 wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:

Sorry man. Car maintenance bills suck. You go to the mechanic...pay a huge bill...and leave with the same car. It seems so unproductive.

Exactly. That's why I'm STILL slacking on my timing belt :shifty:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:

Exactly. That's why I'm STILL slacking on my timing belt :shifty:

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I absolutely HATE spending any kind of money on car repairs!!!
    My last car started to have some problems and it became one thing after another. It was an old car but to get everything fixed that need fixing would have cost about what the damn car was worth. Traded that thing in on a new car. Yeah, used cars are financially smarter...but I had never purchased new and I'm glad I did!! Awesome warranty...will never have to pay to get it fixed!!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,849
    DS1119 wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:

nice try slick!!!

car salesman, shheesh.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    mix & match... run the fucker
    as long as the tires are all the same size

example... 215 75 15
    that's what mine are

i suppose you can run different sizes in the front and the back
    but don't mix sizes in the back or the front

remember the days of jacked up camaros?
    huge tires in the back
    smaller up front
    silly bullshit

but yes
    you can have new tires
    and older tires and be just fine
    who the hell wants to go out and spend $400-$500 all at once on tires?
    you can if you are doing well
    in my situation... no
    im not doing all that well

so i get every god damn mile i can get out of my fucking tires
    so far i have 3 newer tires and one that will be getting replaced in the next month or so

i also endorse buying nice ass used tires
    out in western washington there was a badass store that had kick ass used tires for cheap as fuck
    $25 bucks got you a tire that would last years
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    pjtaper wrote:

nice try slick!!!

car salesman, shheesh.

And how am I selling a car to a guy on the internet I don't know? Just being honest. Car bills suck.
    DS1119 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

nice try slick!!!

car salesman, shheesh.

And how am I selling a car to a guy on the internet I don't know? Just being honest. Car bills suck.
    of course they do, but coming from a salesman it seems a little shady. Besides, I'm just busting balls here. Thats what we do isnt it?

Getting a little sensitive arent you? Maybe you need to get some strange.

Oh wait.... :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    of course they do, but coming from a salesman it seems a little shady. Besides, I'm just busting balls here. Thats what we do isnt it?

Not sensitive. Just in a PM "discussion" with someone that frankly I don't understand why I am.
    DS1119 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

Not sensitive. Just in a PM "discussion" with someone that frankly I don't understand why I am.
    are you that bored?

Me I'm stuck like chuck in the truck. I n fact I may be going to bed soon. Hope to drive almost the entirety of my 11 hours allowed. As of now I have about 6 hours accounted for for tomorrow.

mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

are you that bored?

Me I'm stuck like chuck in the truck. I n fact I may be going to bed soon. Hope to drive almost the entirety of my 11 hours allowed. As of now I have about 6 hours accounted for for tomorrow.

Yes I am. By the way, what are you wearing? :lol:
    DS1119 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

are you that bored?

Yes I am. By the way, what are you wearing? :lol:
    you remember that one COPS episode with the trucker who got ripped of for his wallet?

Ok, I'm wearing something different.

mickeyrat wrote:
    you remember that one COPS episode with the trucker who got ripped of for his wallet?

Ok, I'm wearing something different.

I am familiar with that episode. :lol: