Options

National Signing Day for NCAA football

rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
edited February 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I guess the big mysteries are Pryor choosing between Michigan and Ohio State and whether Julio Jones is going to Alabama or not.

Anybody else follow recruiting for college football?

Memphis 1994
New Orleans 1995
Fort Lauderdale 1996
Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
New Orleans 2000
Tampa 2003
Kissimmee 2004
New York City (x 2) 2008
East Troy (x 2) 2011
Chicago & New Orleans 2013
Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
Baltimore 2020
Louisville 2022
Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    I follow, but honestly not excited about it much right now. I'm still too engulfed in this college basketball season to worry about football right now.
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Snowed in here in WI, and damn glad I'm not at work, so I'm watching on ESPNU. Hoping the Badgers can pick up one of these undecideds but I doubt it.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    Looks like Pryor is going to keep everyone in suspense.
    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=771221

According to this, Jones did sign with Bama.
    http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=880&CID=765305
  • Options
    Marky..Looks like our Gamecocks did fairly decent. What do you think?
    http://www.myspace.com/sigepnader

History is the polemics of the victor...

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • Options
    Marky..Looks like our Gamecocks did fairly decent. What do you think?
    Yeah, we did ok. A lot of 3 and some 4 star prospects. I don't think this year's class has quite the hype that last year's class brought. Although I'd take lesser known players if they can win us an SEC East division :D
  • Options
    Julio Jones signed with Alabama. If he hadn't, I think the entire gym full of people would've jumped him. ;)

T.J. Bryant signed to Southern Cal. That was a bit surprising to see the Tallahassee cornerback go away from FSU. But QB E.J. Manuel and LB Nigel Bradham are going there.

Still no indication about Pryor?

To you South Carolina fans, is Clemson having a good signing day? I know you hate 'em, but it seems they've gotten better at recruiting big names.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Julio Jones signed with Alabama. If he hadn't, I think the entire gym full of people would've jumped him. ;)

T.J. Bryant signed to Southern Cal. That was a bit surprising to see the Tallahassee cornerback go away from FSU. But QB E.J. Manuel and LB Nigel Bradham are going there.

To you South Carolina fans, is Clemson having a good signing day? I know you hate 'em, but it seems they've gotten better at recruiting big names.

Everything I've read on Pryor indicates he's not making an announcement today and still wants more time to think about it. I believe he's still got a visit to Penn St. scheduled.

And unfortunately, Clemson has been having a good recruiting season. I haven't checked who has signed the LOI yet, but they got quite a few verbal commits from some big name players. They also won the recruiting war in the state for both number of commits and ratings. :(
  • Options
    I see that ESPN2 is airing a National Signing Day special right now.

Miami appears to be doing well today. I guess that is on the strength of the five teammates from Northwest?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Everything I've read on Pryor indicates he's not making an announcement today and still wants more time to think about it. I believe he's still got a visit to Penn St. scheduled.

And unfortunately, Clemson has been having a good recruiting season. I haven't checked who has signed the LOI yet, but they got quite a few verbal commits from some big name players. They also won the recruiting war in the state for both number of commits and ratings. :(

Doesn't matter...they will always be a mediocre team who can't win a big game:)

geezus I abhor Klimpsun

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    rhinomagic wrote:

Clemson ALWAYS has a good signing day. No one in the country wastes more raw talent than Clemson year in and year out.

It's uncanny how many good players go there and they never do squat with it.

Tommy Bowden is a little like Chan Gailey at Tech in that he's a ridiculous underachiever with the talent on hand, but Bowden has even better players that he fails with.

It's embarrassing the amount of talent that goes to western South Carolina only to fail miserably in a pathetically underachieving conference.

UGA got AJ Green that's all I know and picked up AJ Harmon, several fantastic running backs....
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    alabamaalabama Posts: 101
    Roll Tide!! :)
  • Options
    bamajam wrote:
    Roll Tide!! :)

Thanks for that astute observation. :rolleyes:

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you guys about how Clemson has become choke artists (although they usually manage to beat us).

How South Carolina or Clemson didn't land AJ Green is pathetic. If South Carolina and Clemson want to really be on the scene nationally and become an upper tier program, we have to keep the elite homegrown talent in the state. Happens every year though. In the past Tennessee and Florida State have been the main culprits for stealing our state's talent.
  • Options
    Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you guys about how Clemson has become choke artists (although they usually manage to beat us).

How South Carolina or Clemson didn't land AJ Green is pathetic. If South Carolina and Clemson want to really be on the scene nationally and become an upper tier program, we have to keep the elite homegrown talent in the state. Happens every year though. In the past Tennessee and Florida State have been the main culprits for stealing our state's talent.

No reason to accuse FSU of that anymore. Fewer and fewer elite players want to come here.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options

I really thought Tauren Poole (Running Back, Stevens Co GA) was going to end up in Columbia. He stuck with Tennessee. He put up huge numbers, but isn't quite as good in person as the numbers might indicate. Still I thought he might get stolen by Spurrier. Guess not. Either way you guys were just missing a QB anyway. Damn shame what happened to Brinkley this year though it did give Norwood a chance to play I think he's going to be one of those middle round picks that becomes a stud in the NFL.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    No reason to accuse FSU of that anymore. Fewer and fewer elite players want to come here.

Ah, a FSU fan....

Well, you guys have the 7th best rated recruiting class right now. That's not too bad. And you snagged a 4-star DE from the Spartanburg area for this class. It seemed like the elite players from SC would choose FSU in the 90s. Starting in the late 90s and continuing on, it seems that Tennessee has taken over for FSU.
  • Options
    Ah, a FSU fan....

Well, you guys have the 7th best rated recruiting class right now. That's not too bad. And you snagged a 4-star DE from the Spartanburg area for this class. It seemed like the elite players from SC would choose FSU in the 90s. Starting in the late 90s and continuing on, it seems that Tennessee has taken over for FSU.

Yeah, during the 90s FSU could pull most anyone. Didn't Peter Boulware and Reinard Wilson both come from SoCar? Dee Feaster, too?

I miss those days pretty badly.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I really thought Tauren Poole (Running Back, Stevens Co GA) was going to end up in Columbia. He stuck with Tennessee. He put up huge numbers, but isn't quite as good in person as the numbers might indicate. Still I thought he might get stolen by Spurrier. Guess not. Either way you guys were just missing a QB anyway. Damn shame what happened to Brinkley this year though it did give Norwood a chance to play I think he's going to be one of those middle round picks that becomes a stud in the NFL.
    Actually, Brinkley going down helped give Cliff Matthews more playing time than anyone else. Norwood, a Freshman All-American and SEC All-Freshman first team from the year before, was going to play regardless. With Brinkley, Norwood, and Nathan Pepper (torn ACL third game) coming back, I'm actually more excited about our defense than our offense.

We're hoping that Stephen Garcia is our qb for the next 4 years, although I'm not 100% sold on his playing abilities and ability to stay out of trouble.....
  • Options
    Actually, Brinkley going down helped give Cliff Matthews more playing time than anyone else. Norwood, a Freshman All-American and SEC All-Freshman first team, was going to play regardless. With Brinkley, Norwood, and Nathan Pepper (torn ACL third game) coming back, I'm actually more excited about our defense than our offense.

We're hoping that Stephen Garcia is our qb for the next 4 years, although I'm not 100% sold on his playing abilities and ability to stay out of trouble.....

Captain Munnerlin is back too right?
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Yeah, during the 90s FSU could pull most anyone. Didn't Peter Boulware and Reinard Wilson both come from SoCar? Dee Feaster, too?

I miss those days pretty badly.

Not sure about Wilson, but Boulware and Feaster are SC guys. Feaster actually went to my high school (a few years before me though). Another notable one was Chris Hope....although he went to my high school's rival....
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Captain Munnerlin is back too right?
    yeah, he should be back as he will be a junior....how could I have forgotten about the Captain???
  • Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    Miami has a ridiculous recruiting class. I've never seen anything like this. A clean sweep of Northwestern. Randy Shannon pulled out the big guns for this one and he's right on. Scary good class.

FSU and UF almost got shut out of the south florida talent. FSU also lost TJ Bryant and Julio Jones in a span of 3 minutes. Serious burn.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options
    yeah, he should be back as he will be a junior....how could I have forgotten about the Captain???

The Captain!

Word on the street is Mike Davis is suspended for the first two games so we might be seeing a new back or two very early.

This offense other than McKinley and lecorn is scary...and not in a good way

LETS GO CARDINALS!
  • Options
    The Captain!

Word on the street is Mike Davis is suspended for the first two games so we might be seeing a new back or two very early.

This offense other than McKinley and lecorn is scary...and not in a good way
    Why does it not surprise me that Davis might be suspended? Guess Spurrier will give Brian Maddox a chance to prove himself. He was pretty highly touted coming into last year, but didn't do much playing behind Boyd and Davis. Who knows, maybe Eric Baker, an incoming freshman will get a shot?

I think Jared Cook at tight end is going to have a good year. He was a consistent threat last year and should only be better.