Idiotic serving sizes on food...

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Does anyone else notice these?

For example, I brought one of those Campbell soups in for lunch today that is in one of those microwavable containers. It's about the size of a normal bowl of soup... but the serving size is listed as 1 cup and servings per container is "about 2" who the heck doesn't eat the whole thing?

We have a jar of pickle spears at home, and the serving size is "about 2/3 of a spear" wtf? is one whole pickle spear too much for a person to eat?
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    HaHa funny you mention that pickle thing because I noticed that the other day. Some things are even more riduclous than that......for example serving sizes of cookies, fig newtons, and ostrich burgers.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • Its interesting how the portions have grown over the years. As well as the people in america. Like McDonalds. Now we all have given to the guilty pleasures of fast food and feel like shit afterwards, I went ther the other day and even the straw is so big and wide. They want you to consume more soda and they want you to leave feeling full. I hate it when you but something that is larger then it should be.
    What i wrote is a little off from what the topic is but it got me thinking.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Its interesting how the portions have grown over the years. As well as the people in america. Like McDonalds. Now we all have given to the guilty pleasures of fast food and feel like shit afterwards, I went ther the other day and even the straw is so big and wide. They want you to consume more soda and they want you to leave feeling full. I hate it when you but something that is larger then it should be.

I agree about that... you can suck a whole hamburger through a mcdonald's straw. And have you been to Wendy's lately? I like what they have done so that you can get salads or whatever instead of fries in the meals, but their drinks are out of control. A medium soda is about as big as my head.

For the serving sizes though, it's all about making foods look better than they are.... The smaller they can make the serving sizes, the lower the calorie/fat counts are... Some people don't realize that if they need to look at the serving size as well.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • I agree about that... you can suck a whole hamburger through a mcdonald's straw. And have you been to Wendy's lately? I like what they have done so that you can get salads or whatever instead of fries in the meals, but their drinks are out of control. A medium soda is about as big as my head.

For the serving sizes though, it's all about making foods look better than they are.... The smaller they can make the serving sizes, the lower the calorie/fat counts are... Some people don't realize that if they need to look at the serving size as well.
    Yea, I always try to eat until I am full insteaad of eating all my food. My wife see's me sitting there and dumps her meal on mine b/c she thinks I am still hungry. maybe i am but if ya give it a few minutes you will feel satisfied.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Does anyone else notice these?

For example, I brought one of those Campbell soups in for lunch today that is in one of those microwavable containers. It's about the size of a normal bowl of soup... but the serving size is listed as 1 cup and servings per container is "about 2" who the heck doesn't eat the whole thing?

We have a jar of pickle spears at home, and the serving size is "about 2/3 of a spear" wtf? is one whole pickle spear too much for a person to eat?

yeah like with those little soup bowls, either make the soup bowl smaller or count the whole bowl as 1 serving...
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    RockMan wrote:
    HaHa funny you mention that pickle thing because I noticed that the other day.
    lol. i just noticed this too!! :D odd.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Its interesting how the portions have grown over the years. As well as the people in america. Like McDonalds. Now we all have given to the guilty pleasures of fast food and feel like shit afterwards, I went ther the other day and even the straw is so big and wide. They want you to consume more soda and they want you to leave feeling full. I hate it when you but something that is larger then it should be.

good call with the straw. i thought i was just crazy. always seemed unnecessarily bigger than your average straw.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    true, but a pickle serving is 10 calories. come on, give us the whole pickle instead of 2/3 and call it 13 calories....it won't put me over the top. :D
  • who the heck doesn't eat the whole thing?

I can only eat half a can of soup. I thought i was gonna die once when I ate the whole thing! lol :D

I love it when it's a candy bar and it says its like 2.5 servings. lol :D
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810

This is correct. With all the new laws requiring disclosure of nutritional information, the comapnies are simply reducing the serving size so that the foods dont appear as offensive.
  • nfanel wrote:
    true, but a pickle serving is 10 calories. come on, give us the whole pickle instead of 2/3 and call it 13 calories....it won't put me over the top. :D

Tell me about it... I'm tired of fishing out all of the little 1/3 stubs out of the jar when I am finished eating my 2/3 pieces. :)
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln

:confused: ...but... the more soda you drink the less food you eat... sodas come with free refills. Why would they want us to fill up on soda?
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    :confused: ...but... the more soda you drink the less food you eat... sodas come with free refills. Why would they want us to fill up on soda?

Because you order the food before you've filled up on soda. Then you (not you) stuff your face with the food and coke. Next thing you know it takes more to fill you up. You need another cheeseburger, and then the real fun begins!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    Because you order the food before you've filled up on soda. Then you (not you) stuff your face with the food and coke. Next thing you know it takes more to fill you up. You need another cheeseburger, and then the real fun begins!
    so, I shouldn't be getting the soda tub and the triple cheeseburgers to wash the coke down with??

what about the carton of waffle fries???

:p

the original size of an adult meal at McDonald's is now the kid's meal. :eek:
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • wendys triple cheeseburger.....

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    so, I shouldn't be getting the soda tub and the triple cheeseburgers to wash the coke down with??

what about the carton of waffle fries???

:p

the original size of an adult meal at McDonald's is now the kid's meal. :eek:

Have I not taught you anything?!? You wash the triple cheeseburgers down with a shake. The soda tub is only there for digestive purposes so that you can still eat a pie.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    Have I not taught you anything?!? You wash the triple cheeseburgers down with a shake. The soda tub is only there for digestive purposes so that you can still eat a pie.
    ohhhh, wooopsies.

*guiltily* I wasted stomach space on a parfait. :o
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    ohhhh, wooopsies.

*guiltily* I wasted stomach space on a parfait. :o

Tsk Tsk! And a parfait?!? What?!? Are you turning into a health freak on me?!? WTF?!? :eek:
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Does anyone else notice these?

haha i know what u mean. i was drinking a gatorade the other day in a regular size bottle and it said serving size 2.5. are they kidding??
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    wendys triple cheeseburger.....

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!

I had one of those once. Once.