Options

Do flu shots work?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I never had one until today. My mom gave me a coupon, so it ended up being only like $20, so I said what the heck. I work with the public and deal with sometimes hundreds of strangers in a day, so it seemed like a good idea..
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I've gotten one every year for the past 5 or 6 years, and haven't gotten the flu...So I say yes. But I also take other precautions during the winter months.....Get plenty of sleep, take vitamin C and echinacea, wash my hands more frequently....stuff like that probably helps a lot too.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    I had mine today. My husband said he's not having one this year. So... we'll see. (I haven't had the flu since I've been getting flu shots.)
  • Options
    I've never got a vaccine shot for anything ever in my lifetime. Only had the flu once or twice...was no big deal either.

I think it's all bullshit to make money.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    My mom got a flu shot a few weeks ago. Since Sunday, she has been laid up with it, not able to eat anything except jello (well last night she finally had some toast). Not fun.

I've never had a flu shot, and touch wood, don't get the flu very often. But I know some people who swear by them.
  • Options
    yes. they do. but they really help people more at risk. kids, elderly, health care workers. however the more people that have them the less likely other people are to get sick. its called "herd immunity" you have 5 people in an office. 4 got the shot. whats the likely hood the 5th will? not as likely. why do people get sick when they get the flu shot? 1. some people do get sick from the shot. some people were sick before the shot. i know some people would be skeptical saying "what is the likelyhood that someone would get sick at the same time they had the shot"? well, its called flu season because your chances to get sick are higher. but like i said people can get sick from them, but only if it is a live strain shot. you cant get sick from the the shots that are made from the parts of the virus.

now. that being said, if you dont want to get a shot, and dont want to get sick, theree is 1 thing that helps more than anything. Proper hand washing. with warm, soapy water, rubbing your hands. PROPER hand washing. not touching your dirty dirty hands to your eyes, nose, mouth etc. not just washing your hands after dealing with a sick person, because when a person is most infectious is in the beginning, when they might not even be showing symptoms. PROPER HAND WASHING. ...
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    I've never got a vaccine shot for anything ever in my lifetime. Only had the flu once or twice...was no big deal either.

I think it's all bullshit to make money.

do you live in the US? how were you able to attend school?

i've never taken a flu shot.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    My mom got a flu shot a few weeks ago. Since Sunday, she has been laid up with it, not able to eat anything except jello (well last night she finally had some toast). Not fun.

I've never had a flu shot, and touch wood, don't get the flu very often. But I know some people who swear by them.

that sounds like she has viral gastroenteritis. which alot of people call "the stomach flu" it's kinda silly that they call it that since it's not caused by a flu virus. http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroenteritis/article.htm

it's the flu (influenza) virus a respiratory illness that people get the flu shot for.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    to the OP, yes flu shots do work.

in '96 I got the flu, it turned into pneumonia, i ended up in the hospital for a week.

every year since i've gotten a flu shot and haven't gotten the flu since then.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The problem is (or so I'm led to understand) that this year's vaccine is only 1/3rd useful, as two of the three strains of flu it vaccinates against have long since mutated anyway.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    The flu shots work against the strains that they are meant to work against, but can't protect against them all. I've gotten a flu shot every year since the mid 80's (when I had the flu, was sick for two weeks and wanted to die) and haven't gotten it since. So, I'm sold. At least it's some protection. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I think it's meant for young people, old people, people with weak immune systems, and health care professionals.

For the rest of us - it is not needed at all. A complete waste. I believe it is better to actually let my body get the flu every 3 or 4 years (about as often as I have ever had the flu) and fight it off itself. That builds immunity.

Those are my beliefs - I have never had a flu shot and do not plan to start getting one for quite a few more many years.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    For me no, for 2 years I took shots I got sick the years I didn't I was fine.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I think it's meant for young people, old people, people with weak immune systems, and health care professionals.

For the rest of us - it is not needed at all. A complete waste. I believe it is better to actually let my body get the flu every 3 or 4 years (about as often as I have ever had the flu) and fight it off itself. That builds immunity.

Those are my beliefs - I have never had a flu shot and do not plan to start getting one for quite a few more many years.
    I generally believe this too. Not a fan of antibiotic soaps etc. But the flu is a little different. I was young and I truly wanted to die I was so sick. I'll take any precautions I can. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:

kids, old people and people with weak immune systems are more likely to have serious complications from the flu....not because they're the only ones that get it. health care professionals need it because they're more like to be exposed to it as well as expose it to others.

woot so you get sick with the flu and feel like death -warmed-over for 10 days to 2 weeks so that you boost your immunity? you do realize that by doing that you've only built up your immunity for that particular strain of the flu virus? it doesn't build up your immune system for anything else
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    flu shots work.

hey.......n.
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    kids, old people and people with weak immune systems are more likely to have serious complications from the flu....not because they're the only ones that get it. health care professionals need it because they're more like to be exposed to it as well as expose it to others.
    Right, which is why it's very important for them to not get the flu - hence, why they should get the vaccine. I never said they were the only ones to get it.
    prism wrote:
    so you get sick with the flu and feel like death -warmed-over for 10 days to 2 weeks so that you boost your immunity?
    I have only ever felt that bad for a few days - every few years. I have never felt like that for 10 days to 2 weeks. Which is why there is no reason for me, or anyone else as healthy as me to get the flu vaccine.
    prism wrote:
    you do realize that by doing that you've only built up your immunity for that particular strain of the flu virus? it doesn't build up your immune system for anything else
    How is that any different than a flu shot that only protects you from the strain it has?

Again, I don't have a need for a flu shot. I can't remember the last time I actually had the flu for any real length of time.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    aNiMaL wrote:

same here......my health is strong enough to withstand the flu if i get it...getting a shot that actually gives me the flu seems crazy...at least for me.....:)
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    flu shots work.

hey.......n.

hi c

does that make you an artificial fruit drink? :p
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    now. that being said, if you dont want to get a shot, and dont want to get sick, theree is 1 thing that helps more than anything. Proper hand washing. with warm, soapy water, rubbing your hands. PROPER hand washing. not touching your dirty dirty hands to your eyes, nose, mouth etc. not just washing your hands after dealing with a sick person, because when a person is most infectious is in the beginning, when they might not even be showing symptoms. PROPER HAND WASHING. ...

Hold on...

so what kind of hand washing should I do?

;)

To the OP: I've never had a flu shot, and I've never had the flu. So I dunno if it really works or not.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Right, which is why it's very important for them to not get the flu - hence, why they should get the vaccine. I never said they were the only ones to get it.

I have only ever felt that bad for a few days - every few years. I have never felt like that for 10 days to 2 weeks. Which is why there is no reason for me, or anyone else as healthy as me to get the flu vaccine.

because you live in a plastic bubble, right? I mean who cares if you spread a highly contagious illness to others? it'll only make them feel like death warmed over for 10 days to 2 weeks despite how healthy they may (or may not) be. but that's alright because it only makes you feel kinda bad for a few days...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    because you live in a plastic bubble, right? I mean who cares if you spread a highly contagious illness to others? it'll only make them feel like death warmed over for 10 days to 2 weeks despite how healthy they may (or may not) be. but that's alright because it only makes you feel kinda bad for a few days...
    Why are you attacking me because I have never had, nor needed a flu shot?
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    same here......my health is strong enough to withstand the flu if i get it...getting a shot that actually gives me the flu seems crazy...at least for me.....:)
    You and I both, cutback. You and I both. :)
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Why are you attacking me because I have never had, nor needed a flu shot?

I don't care if you ever had or will have a flu shot. just as long as the next time you do get the flu you live and work inside a plastic bubble so you don't infect other people
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    cutback wrote:

you CANNOT get the flu from a flu shot. that is an urban myth.

flu shot's haven't been made from active 'live' virus for over 15 years. however there's a tiny chance of getting it from "flumist" the flu nasal spray because it does contain 'live' virus

from the CDC:

The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
    Fever (low grade)
    Aches
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    I don't care if you ever had or will have a flu shot. just as long as the next time you do get the flu you live and work inside a plastic bubble so you don't infect other people
    Fair enough. I'll take that as we just have two different points of view on this subject.

I probably won't take your advise and invest in a bubble to encapsulate myself for the next time I happen to get the flu. I'll probably just take a few days off of work, drink lots of liquids and stay in bed, and let my body fight it off with it's natural defense system.

I will sleep better knowing I didn't take a flu shot away from someone who really needs it.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    prism wrote:
    hi c

does that make you an artificial fruit drink? :p

yes.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I didn't get a flu shot for years (and also didn't get the flu during those same years). Then a few years ago I finally got talked into. That year I had the worst flu I ever had. Never again. I haven't done it for a couple of years now, and have also been flu free.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    prism wrote:

I have no idea whether I got my worst flu because of or in spite of the flu shot I had. I just know that the only year I had a flu shot was one of the only years I've ever had the flu, and it was the worst bout I had.

So even if the shot wasn't causal, it certainly wasn't preventative.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    prism wrote:

flu shot's haven't been made from active 'live' virus for over 15 years. however there's a tiny chance of getting it from "flumist" the flu nasal spray because it does contain 'live' virus

from the CDC:

The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are

Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
    Fever (low grade)
    Aches

that's cool...i just remember that when my dad got his one and only flu shot, within days he had the flu....could have been a coincidence.....but i just prefer to let my body do what it is supposed to to do.....if i get the flu, i immediately go to bed and stay there for as long as it takes....it's the people that try to brave it out and go to work with the flu that you have to worry about....:)